Buying old Evidence Casebook / Statutory Supplement?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Kage3212

Buying old Evidence Casebook / Statutory Supplement?

Postby Kage3212 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:36 pm

Our required books for evidence are:

Evidence (Casebook), Author: Fisher, Publisher: West, Edition: 3, Year Published: 12; and

Federal Rules of Evidence Statutory Supplement '13, Author: Fisher, Publisher: West, Year Published: 13

Are these must buys or does anyone have some experience getting away with buying older editions for a fraction of the cost? Appreciate the insight.

gdane

Re: Buying old Evidence Casebook / Statutory Supplement?

Postby gdane » Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:43 pm

Don't need the supplement. Maybe the casebook, but evidence is a class where you can get away with just an E and E, a Crunchtime, Cali Lessons, and practice exams. If you do get the casebook buy the newest edition because there's been a bit of recent change in certain evidence rules, namely the confrontation clause.

I used the Fisher casebook and it was terrible. The cases make simple concepts a bit difficult to understand and the book is not organized well.

Kage3212

Postby Kage3212 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:42 pm

Thinking about snagging the E&E 2009 for 3 bucks as well. Will this suffice or is it worth picking up the 2012 version for around 40?

gdane

Postby gdane » Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:41 pm

You need the newest one man.

Can you possibly check it out through your school's library? I've saved a gagillion by checking out supplements from the library.

Hipster but Athletic

Postby Hipster but Athletic » Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:52 pm

I just want to say that I appreciate Gdane's input. I was thinking about not buying my casebook , which is Mueller, and just getting the Mueller aspen student treatise instead. Then I was also thinking about getting Understanding Evidence because those are the best. Thoughts!?

skw

Postby skw » Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:52 pm

Hipster but Athletic wrote:I just want to say that I appreciate Gdane's input. I was thinking about not buying my casebook , which is Mueller, and just getting the Mueller aspen student treatise instead. Then I was also thinking about getting Understanding Evidence because those are the best. Thoughts!?

I barely cracked my casebook (and certainly would not have bought it if I'd known better), but religiously studied Understanding Evidence. I booked the class. I found the cases in Evidence to be barely even discussed (with a few exceptions which will be very obvious).

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:21 pm

Thought I needed my Evidence casebook for the first two weeks of class and quickly learned I did not. Still annoyed I paid the money for it. E&E plus some practice exams if your prof hands them out and you'll be fine. The BARBRI Q's are good too.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”