January On-Campus Interviews

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
doctoroflaw91

January On-Campus Interviews

Postby doctoroflaw91 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:09 am

In January, a large group of public interest employers, including the federal government, will be holding interviews and table talk on our campus. Through the beginning of January, we can "bid" on interviews from the various employers by submitting resumes, cover letters, and writing samples. Understandably, the policy is that if you receive an offer for an interview, you must attend. That being said, I do not want to apply to too few places, but I also do not want to overload myself to the point that I can't make it to all of the interviews (that would be assuming that I receive offers from every employer that I bid on).

How does this process work? If anyone has done something similar in the past, how many employers did you bid on? Thanks!

thesealocust

Re: January On-Campus Interviews

Postby thesealocust » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:31 pm

Welcome to thunderdome kid!

Bid on every job you would consider taking and don't look back.

Bid early and bid often. Don't rely on the job fair either, blanket the skies / series of tubes with applications.

Roughly 40% of law grads are going to die starving and alone in a gutter within 3 years of graduation, according to recent Bureau of Labor Statistics data.

Get hustling.

whereskyle

Postby whereskyle » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:34 pm

thesealocust wrote:Welcome to thunderdome kid!

Bid early and bid often. Don't rely on the job fair either, blanket the skies / series of tubes with applications.

Roughly 40% of law grads are going to die starving and alone in a gutter within 3 years of graduation, according to recent Bureau of Labor Statistics data.

Get hustling.

Seems like good advice to me.

doctoroflaw91

Postby doctoroflaw91 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:50 pm

whereskyle wrote:
thesealocust wrote:Welcome to thunderdome kid!

Get hustling.

Seems like good advice to me.

This has been my approach in general to law school: go hard or go home. Eight applications in today! Thanks to both of you :)

eerie_erie

Postby eerie_erie » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:15 pm

I would do as many as I can. Also, networking helps to the extent you can learn about an organization and what they do better (ask upper level students or search in your school's career directory. Usually people like talking about what they did for their internships).

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:17 am

You probably won't get as many interviews as you're imagining. But if you do, you can schedule them so that they don't conflict. It's better to be overwhelmed with interviews than to not get anything.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”