I ran out of time on ALL my exams

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
jad0re

I ran out of time on ALL my exams

Postby jad0re » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:53 pm

Contracts-I didn't finish 3 out of say 15 questions

Civ Pro-I miscalculated time and exam ended when I started writing the third essay which should have been about 1/3 of the grade (allocated time was 1 hr)

I know I'm pretty screwed but not sure how bad since I don't know how exams are graded.
I'd like to have a general idea so I can plan for the upcoming winter accordingly.

1) If gpa would be seriously screwed w/ no way of turning back: I'll need to apply for a tuition refund, take care of the 1yr housing contract, and start looking for a job in my home state.

2) If somewhere above median, I might sink in another semester but doing so requires applying for a loan (I was lucky to not borrow this semester) and gunning for next semester classes as early as now.

I feel fairly confident about the stuff I've written, but presumably that wouldn't matter if I didnt even answer the remaining part of the exam, right?

TLSers, you guys helped me tremendously in getting into this T20 school and I highly value your opinions. Please share your thoughts!

Re: I ran out of time on ALL my exams

Postby 09042014 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:56 pm

Wait you didn't finish? That's a huge problem.

When is the tuition deadline? Don't miss the refund date.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:02 pm

The thing is, some professors deliberately write exams that are virtually impossible to complete in the time allowed, as it helps them come up with a curve (it's hard to distinguish between grades if everyone gets within 10 points of each other on an exam; giving an exam that basically can't be finished means you'll get a wider range of grades).

And then there are people who just really screw up the timing on exams (my contracts exam had 3 questions. One guy in my class wrote everything he could possibly think of/everything he wanted to say about the 1st question, then turned to question 2 and realized he had 5 minutes left. He dropped out).

You could be either of those, or somewhere in between. There's pretty much no way we can tell. And none of us know how everyone else in your class did.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:14 pm

During my 1L year I had a Civ Pro professor who wrote the exam with 50 multiple choice questions and a 3 page long essay as the exam. Basically no one finished. I remember seeing 5 minutes on the clock and just writing "Barred by claim preclusion because P had the chance to bring claim during first trial and failed to" and just moving on to the next issues given that the essay had about 20 issues. Still got an A-. The large question is: Is it the exam (as in, everyone is not finishing) or is it your poor time management skills?

Postby 09042014 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:17 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:During my 1L year I had a Civ Pro professor who wrote the exam with 50 multiple choice questions and a 3 page long essay as the exam. Basically no one finished. I remember seeing 5 minutes on the clock and just writing "Barred by claim preclusion because P had the chance to bring claim during first trial and failed to" and just moving on to the next issues given that the essay had about 20 issues. Still got an A-. The large question is: Is it the exam (as in, everyone is not finishing) or is it your poor time management skills?

You arne't supposed to hit every issue.

But this guy didn't even start 1/3rd of each test. That's really terrible.

jad0re

Postby jad0re » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:01 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:During my 1L year I had a Civ Pro professor who wrote the exam with 50 multiple choice questions and a 3 page long essay as the exam. Basically no one finished. I remember seeing 5 minutes on the clock and just writing "Barred by claim preclusion because P had the chance to bring claim during first trial and failed to" and just moving on to the next issues given that the essay had about 20 issues. Still got an A-. The large question is: Is it the exam (as in, everyone is not finishing) or is it your poor time management skills?

You arne't supposed to hit every issue.

But this guy didn't even start 1/3rd of each test. That's really terrible.

Oh dear god.

BD's story gives me some hope but DF makes a point which my pessimistic self finds convincing.

Time management problem is huge I think. (although I don't think I ever ran out of time on essay exams during undergrad). I was trying to spot as many issues and and squeeze out as many counter rule based arguments as possible in hopes of scoring points. But I'm now afraid that I might have been discussing irrelevant stuff. It gets worse because I can't remember anything. My senses literally shut down after things like this.

Contracts had a decent amount of people holding onto the last minute, but people were leaving early and stuff in general. but I didn't even get to those 3 questions (not even outline) so it makes me feel horrible.

Civ Pro I mistakenly thought it was 4 hours just like every other exam I had but it turned out to be 3 hours. (lesson learned, get enough rest for the last exam so you can hear the professor). For the unfinished essay, I read the prompt and all and wrote a oneliner like "this essay requires erie analysis and this motion and etc in this context and perhaps this." But the time was up when I had just finished writing prelim stuff like diversity jx and joinder for the parties. I was the last one to hand in the exam. I cried after handing it in and the professor hugged me. I don't know how others did yet, because I couldn't stop and didn't wanna be seen crying so I was stuck in the classroom for a while. But there were some people leaving early. I'm seeing a law school friend tonight (exam was yesterday) so maybe I'll find out

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:15 pm

Just wait for grades, but based on what you have posted so far I'd be prepared for the worst.

arklaw13

Postby arklaw13 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:21 pm

I'd say your Civpro grade is probably going to be shit. But one bad grade won't necessarily kill you. Cross your fingers for a B-

sandwichday

Postby sandwichday » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:34 pm

Ugh, I know how you feel, I'm sorry that your first exam experience went so badly! I know that normally it's not such a great idea to compare notes with other people after exams but I think that the "running out of time" issue is one instance where it may help. Talk to a few friends who you know studied hard for the test. If they also ran out of time, it's a good bet that the prof wrote the exam so that no one would be able to finish in time. Additionally, there have been at least two exams in my time at law school where I ran out of time and still did great (A- or A) even when other people left early or didn't run out of time just b/c I was spotting issues that others were leaving out. Don't get discouraged, first semester 1L is the one time where you literally have nothing to compare this to, so you can honestly believe that you failed and still do great. Keep your head up and be prepared for the worst and I promise it won't be as bad as you think!

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:41 pm

As others have said, lots of people run out of time on exams. Many exams are written to be impossible to complete. However, if the impression was that most people finished all questions handily and you struggled to make it to the third, you could be in trouble - again, Id avoid worrying about it too much until you get your grades.

OneMoreLawHopeful

Postby OneMoreLawHopeful » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:58 am

A friend of mine missed answering an entire question, out of three, on a first semester exam. No idea how it happened, just left it totally blank.

But, the answers to the other questions were solid, so he still got a B-, and he actually took the top grade in a different class, giving him an okay (but admittedly not stellar) GPA overall. He still scored an SA during 2L OCI and ended up getting a post-graduation offer from a v100.

The moral of the story is, you could turn out fine from an employment perspective.

Honestly, it sounds like the 15 question exam wasn't meant to be finished (15 issue spotters sounds like a lot), but it also sounds like you screwed up CivPro. That means you would probably have only one weak grade. If your other grades turn out fine, you could end up fine.

Of course, if your grades are overall no good, be prepared to drop out, but that's good advice no matter what your time management looks like.

daryldixon

Postby daryldixon » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:06 am

I have definitely missed entire questions before. It is not the end of the world.

jad0re

Postby jad0re » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:48 pm

still freaking out help

helix23

Postby helix23 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:29 pm

jad0re wrote:still freaking out help

like everyone has said there's nothing to do but wait. I'm in a similar boat, bro, so i know that feel. time will tell.

cynthia rose

Postby cynthia rose » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:43 pm

I fubar'ed my last attempt at giving advice, but seriously, put it out of your mind. It's two days before Christmas. Go hang out with your family, dress your pets in bad costumes that make them cutely miserable, drink lots of eggnog and start singing Christmas carols off-key. etc., etc. There is no way to know how you did b/c you can't just gauge your own performance, you have to gauge it relative to your classmates' performance. I know someone who is pissed b/c she answered questions that another classmate didn't even get to, but the other classmate got a better grade; the prof apparently valued quality over quantity. You could be the 'other' classmate. This is why we can't really tell you much, b/c like you said who knows how each prof will grade. Don't give up hope until you have been presented an absolute reason to do so.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:06 pm

liquor

encore1101

Postby encore1101 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:10 pm

how's that working out for you?

what's done is done. its out of your hands now. use this experience to motivate you to do better next time and learn from this, but freaking out isn't going to accomplish anything, especially when you don't know the impact it had.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:27 pm

A lot of people do bad in fall and rebound in spring.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:32 am

helix23 wrote:

like everyone has said there's nothing to do but wait. I'm in a similar boat, bro, so i know that feel. time will tell.

True that

Fuck lawl school

Cloud Strife

Postby Cloud Strife » Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:23 am

I can't speak for all schools but I wouldn't despair.

-If- you completely bombed it I know some schools allow a retest. Meaning; if you got A C or less you could potentially just "re-test." It might be a good idea to visit the registrar's info. and check it out. Strategically, it could work to your advantage if your school has multiple sections and allows a retest; as in, you've seen the material before. Good to check it out, might bring up something in the school's reg. info.

Mmm, I'm hesitant to mention it because it's a bit depressing, but I also know at my older school (I'm a transfer) they allowed students to "re-take" the entire 1L year for some $500 dollars. Some students simply didn't learn how to take tests, they briefed formally and fell into a lot of the traps (as in... never learning how to take the test.)

You don't sound like one of these. In general 1L exams go terribly. I think the class, in general, just bombs the first semester. You're likely in a similar boat with your peers/class. Lots of peoples computers crash during the exam, ect. No reason to despair, but worth it to read the registrar info, also good to call them and be honest, sometimes the deans and staff just know stuff and can fix things.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:12 am

Cloud Strife wrote:I can't speak for all schools but I wouldn't despair.

-If- you completely bombed it I know some schools allow a retest. Meaning; if you got A C or less you could potentially just "re-test." It might be a good idea to visit the registrar's info. and check it out. Strategically, it could work to your advantage if your school has multiple sections and allows a retest; as in, you've seen the material before. Good to check it out, might bring up something in the school's reg. info.

Mmm, I'm hesitant to mention it because it's a bit depressing, but I also know at my older school (I'm a transfer) they allowed students to "re-take" the entire 1L year for some $500 dollars. Some students simply didn't learn how to take tests, they briefed formally and fell into a lot of the traps (as in... never learning how to take the test.)

You don't sound like one of these. In general 1L exams go terribly. I think the class, in general, just bombs the first semester. You're likely in a similar boat with your peers/class. Lots of peoples computers crash during the exam, ect. No reason to despair, but worth it to read the registrar info, also good to call them and be honest, sometimes the deans and staff just know stuff and can fix things.

lol. What kind of egregious TTT lets students retake.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:21 am

I'm going to stop trolling because it x-mas:

The real answer OP is that it probably depends on how your professor grades. Some professors just grade holistically and just read the exam and say "This feels like B work."

Other professors give you points for getting stuff correct. And then it depends how the professor allocates points compared to what you did. For every 5 minutes you didn't do problem 3, you lost potential points on the third answer. But you spent the time getting extra points in problems 1 and 2. I know someone who didn't do about 1/5th of a test and still got an A- because of that. In fact on some tests that may be the optimal strategy because you waste a lot of time just reading and digesting a prompt.

So hypothetically, not doing parts may not hurt you because you just scored way better on the parts you did do. However, if you spent time pointing on minor shit, or spotting issues that weren't there, well, that's a huge problem.

And if you were going slow because you are just slow at exams, you are probably not going to do well anyway.

I'd relax. Your grades could easily be B+, B+, A, A, A. But next semester, you need to pace yourself correctly on exams. And focus on the big issues in the exam first.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”