What Does It Take to Fail a Pass/Fail Class? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
sandwichday

New

What Does It Take to Fail a Pass/Fail Class?

Post by sandwichday » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:36 pm

FYI I'm a 3L at a T30 school

Paid attention in class/did most of the reading this semester, missed a few classes (4) due to a family emergency but I kept the professor in the loop about it. Took the exam a few days ago and just have this sinking feeling in my stomach. I know I missed a bunch of issues and just felt like I was generally treating the issues that I got pretty shallowly. I think that the policy questions (about half the exam) I did ok on and I was typing the entire time but I just haven't felt overwhelmed by an exam like that ever. I think the "issue spotting" part of the exam was completely horrible and I might have missed the point entirely.

Other possible factors in play: professor seems like a good guy but I have no idea if he fails people or not, I studied and made an outline and everything, taking the class P/F, pretty small class (15 people)

Any thoughts on what it would take to fail here? I feel like it's pretty brutal to fail a 3L esp at my school where failing is by all accounts very rare but I know the professor can fail a student if they want to. I'm looking for reassurance but if you know of someone who failed in similar circumstances at a similar school I'd like to know about it.

BigRob

Bronze

Re: What Does It Take to Fail a Pass/Fail Class?

Post by BigRob » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:16 pm

Pass/Fail is more like Pass/Pass. You need to not take the exam to get an F.

If you wrote nothing other than, "Go fuck yourself, you old fat bastard. You smell bad, and that's why your wife left you," you MIGHT - MIGHT fail.

Given your description, I'd literally bet my life that you passed.

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:41 pm

It seems like you made enough of a good faith effort to pass. i wouldn't stress about it.

i mean there was that t30 kid on here from 2 years ago that got an F and apparently dropped out (could be a flame to discourage 0Ls, tho)

arklaw13

Gold

Post by arklaw13 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:14 pm

From what I've read, there is a lot of extra paperwork involved if you want to fail someone, so a prof isn't going to go through the trouble unless he is genuinely offended by the lack of effort you put in on the exam.

JusticeHarlan

Gold

Post by JusticeHarlan » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:51 pm

sandwichday wrote: Paid attention in class
did most of the reading this semester,
missed a few classes (4)
I think that the policy questions (about half the exam) I did ok on
I was typing the entire time
I studied and made an outline and everything
You passed. I'd bet good money on it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”