Passage Rates Between February and July Bar Examinations?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
get it to x
Posts: 218
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:31 am

Passage Rates Between February and July Bar Examinations?

Postby get it to x » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:34 am

Hi All,
Looking for any insight into why/how the disparity exists in passage rates between the July and February examinations? I am taking a secondary bar exam in February and was shocked at how much the passage rate drops between the administrations - (approximately 80% - 45-49%). Is it the smaller applicant pool? The fact that more experienced attorneys take the Feb administration and don't really prepare as a recent grad would? Do they apply a different formula for repeaters to make it harder for them to pass? (Anecdotally, I heard that New York does do that and don't have to deal with that situation if true). Any advice appreciated.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Passage Rates Between February and July Bar Examinations?

Postby 09042014 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:02 am

People who fail, fail again.

get it to x
Posts: 218
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:31 am

Re: Passage Rates Between February and July Bar Examinations?

Postby get it to x » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:18 pm

Desert Fox wrote:People who fail, fail again.


I assumed as much. Was looking for some more in-depth insight.

User avatar
Dr. Review
Posts: 1797
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:51 am

Re: Passage Rates Between February and July Bar Examinations?

Postby Dr. Review » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:29 pm

get it to x wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:People who fail, fail again.


I assumed as much. Was looking for some more in-depth insight.

Most people don't graduate in December, so most Feb people are retakers. Retakers are people who couldn't figure out how to pass the test the first time, and are not likely to "get it" the second time. Scoring is the same.

Coolgrnmen
Posts: 489
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:20 pm

Re: Passage Rates Between February and July Bar Examinations?

Postby Coolgrnmen » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:57 pm

As Bedsole said, it is filled with retakers who underprepare because they assume their studying from the summer will carry over without as much effort.

Additionally, you have a slew of international students (pass rate for them on their first time is about 33% if I remember correctly).

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22842
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Passage Rates Between February and July Bar Examinations?

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:15 pm

I don't think the retakers underprepare for February, it's more that it's a pool of people who (for whatever reasons) have already struggled with the test. If they failed because they didn't put in the work (most of the people I know who failed) or had some external thing like illness, they'll likely pass February without any problems. If they fail in July because their brains just don't get the bar exam (again, for whatever reasons), there isn't a magical way to fix that by February.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Passage Rates Between February and July Bar Examinations?

Postby rad lulz » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:39 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:I don't think the retakers underprepare for February, it's more that it's a pool of people who (for whatever reasons) have already struggled with the test. If they failed because they didn't put in the work (most of the people I know who failed) or had some external thing like illness, they'll likely pass February without any problems. If they fail in July because their brains just don't get the bar exam (again, for whatever reasons), there isn't a magical way to fix that by February.

This

ran12
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:28 pm

Re: Passage Rates Between February and July Bar Examinations?

Postby ran12 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:51 pm

rad lulz wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:I don't think the retakers underprepare for February, it's more that it's a pool of people who (for whatever reasons) have already struggled with the test. If they failed because they didn't put in the work (most of the people I know who failed) or had some external thing like illness, they'll likely pass February without any problems. If they fail in July because their brains just don't get the bar exam (again, for whatever reasons), there isn't a magical way to fix that by February.

This


Yea there are a lot of dumb people in law school.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: pandapops, Yahoo [Bot] and 4 guests