Feeling stressed? Instant relief inside!

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
BigRob
Posts: 140
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 8:30 pm

Feeling stressed? Instant relief inside!

Postby BigRob » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:50 pm

It's that time of year. Stress got you down? Recognize your "stress" for what it is: A first-world problem.

If you have enough food and water (read: if you're reading this right now), your life is markedly better than the lives of 99.999% of the human beings who have ever lived, and better than a huge percentage of people who are living now. Consider some other things you could be doing with your life:

Would you rather live in a third-world country doing backbreaking labor for pennies a day?
Would you rather be seriously physically ill, mentally ill, or otherwise deformed?
Would you rather be a soldier in a war, dodging bullets and napalm only to later bury your friends (if you're lucky)?
Would you rather live in a time earlier than, say, 1,000 B.C.? (Terrible for obvious reasons.)
Would you rather be trapped in a sex dungeon like the one in Ohio, or portrayed in the movie Pulp Fiction?

TL;DR: Sack up, ladies. Your life is fine. Can't find a job? Don't bitch and moan and stress. Try to find a job. Still can't find a job? Don't bitch and moan and stress. Live with your parents or in a homeless shelter or something. Your life is still orders of magnitude better than what it could be.

User avatar
Dr. Review
Posts: 1797
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:51 am

Re: Feeling stressed? Instant relief inside!

Postby Dr. Review » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:52 pm

While the sentiment is appreciated by many, to be sure, I think that consolidating the discussion within viewtopic.php?f=3&t=216920 is sensible.

User avatar
gdane
Posts: 12331
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:41 pm

Re: Feeling stressed? Instant relief inside!

Postby gdane » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:57 pm

I agree with you man.

Also to add, it's not the end of the world if you don't get into Harvard or Penn or whatever top 14 you want.

User avatar
3|ink
Posts: 7331
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: Feeling stressed? Instant relief inside!

Postby 3|ink » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:16 pm

I'm not reading all that.

User avatar
seahawk32
Posts: 293
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:19 pm

Re: Feeling stressed? Instant relief inside!

Postby seahawk32 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:59 pm

This might be the dumbest thing I've ever read. No offense lol.

WanderingPondering
Posts: 444
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:47 am

Re: Feeling stressed? Instant relief inside!

Postby WanderingPondering » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:10 pm

seahawk32 wrote:This might be the dumbest thing I've ever read. No offense lol.


Really bro? It's pretty important to keep things in perspective, IMO.

BigRob
Posts: 140
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 8:30 pm

Re: Feeling stressed? Instant relief inside!

Postby BigRob » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:42 pm

seahawk32 wrote:This might be the dumbest thing I've ever read. No offense lol.


You: Missed an issue on law school exam. *Weeps inconsolably.*
African Child: Brother eaten by a lion. MORE RICE FOR ME! *Cheers*

User avatar
brotherdarkness
Posts: 3254
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:11 pm

Re: Feeling stressed? Instant relief inside!

Postby brotherdarkness » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:07 pm

.
Last edited by brotherdarkness on Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Feeling stressed? Instant relief inside!

Postby rad lulz » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:21 pm

m
Last edited by rad lulz on Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

orangecup
Posts: 266
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:41 pm

Re: Feeling stressed? Instant relief inside!

Postby orangecup » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:11 am

BigRob wrote:
seahawk32 wrote:This might be the dumbest thing I've ever read. No offense lol.


You: Missed an issue on law school exam. *Weeps inconsolably.*
African Child: Brother eaten by a lion. MORE RICE FOR ME! *Cheers*


That's not the point. Sometimes shit happens. Not finding a job is a big deal. Just because someone, somewhere may have it worse than you doesn't mean that your problems aren't real. Otherwise, you'd be able to extend your argument to just about anything? Your dad died? Stop whining, at least you're not trapped in a sex dungeon. :roll:

BigRob
Posts: 140
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 8:30 pm

Re: Feeling stressed? Instant relief inside!

Postby BigRob » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:55 am

orangecup wrote:
BigRob wrote:
seahawk32 wrote:This might be the dumbest thing I've ever read. No offense lol.


You: Missed an issue on law school exam. *Weeps inconsolably.*
African Child: Brother eaten by a lion. MORE RICE FOR ME! *Cheers*


That's not the point. Sometimes shit happens. Not finding a job is a big deal. Just because someone, somewhere may have it worse than you doesn't mean that your problems aren't real. Otherwise, you'd be able to extend your argument to just about anything? Your dad died? Stop whining, at least you're not trapped in a sex dungeon. :roll:


Point granted -- it's true, real problems exist. But, again, it's all relative. And, it's pretty shady that you used the sex dungeon example to support your "someone, somewhere" attenuation argument. Why not use the "food insecure" or "living before modern times" examples as the standard against which you judge the relative seriousness of suffering. The vast majority of humans have dealt with both - food insecurity is just a horrendous reality, and the inherent suffering Darwinian evolution entails is as bad or worse. I'd much rather live in a homeless shelter, or under a bridge with access to a soup kitchen (or deal with the relative sadness of my dad dying) than deal with either.

P.S. I drawed this. Am I a good drawer? I excel at circles and triangles mostly.

http://postimg.org/image/hkf395e21/

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22826
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Feeling stressed? Instant relief inside!

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:36 am

Strangely, getting told my problems aren't as bad because there are people in the world who have truly abysmal lives doesn't relieve my stress, it just makes me feel guilty for worrying about my own problems. I get the point about perspective but emotions aren't exactly rational and don't always yield to logic.

Basically, if I'm worried about getting a job or something similar and someone tells me it's not that bad because I'm not a child laborer mining diamonds in Africa or the like, I mostly just think that person's an asshole.

User avatar
nickb285
Posts: 1500
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:25 pm

Re: Feeling stressed? Instant relief inside!

Postby nickb285 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:00 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Strangely, getting told my problems aren't as bad because there are people in the world who have truly abysmal lives doesn't relieve my stress, it just makes me feel guilty for worrying about my own problems. I get the point about perspective but emotions aren't exactly rational and don't always yield to logic.

Basically, if I'm worried about getting a job or something similar and someone tells me it's not that bad because I'm not a child laborer mining diamonds in Africa or the like, I mostly just think that person's an asshole.


+1 to all of this. In terms of motivation or perspective, it's about as effective as your grandpa telling you how he had to walk ten miles uphill both ways to school, with the added benefit of a guilt trip for wanting something more out of life than food and a room in your parents' basement.

BigRob
Posts: 140
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 8:30 pm

Re: Feeling stressed? Instant relief inside!

Postby BigRob » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:11 pm

In my estimation, you're all doingitwrong.jpg. If you can imagine the magnitude of suffering some people have dealt (are dealing) with, your "problems" will seem petty and insignificant in comparison. Because they are.

If not, you're lacking imagination and/or empathy.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22826
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Feeling stressed? Instant relief inside!

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:57 pm

Well, thanks, that really makes me feel less stressed. :roll:

(And I don't even really have any problems right now. I just think telling people who can't find a job that they're stupid for worrying because people around the world don't have enough to eat is fairly obnoxious. It's not an oppression Olympics. Sure, we're all privileged on this website compared to a starving orphan doing child labor. But that doesn't mean we can't have our own problems or that it's invalid to worry about our problems.)

User avatar
nickb285
Posts: 1500
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:25 pm

Re: Feeling stressed? Instant relief inside!

Postby nickb285 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:32 pm


rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Feeling stressed? Instant relief inside!

Postby rad lulz » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:35 pm

,
Last edited by rad lulz on Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

BigRob
Posts: 140
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 8:30 pm

Re: Feeling stressed? Instant relief inside!

Postby BigRob » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:51 pm



My posts in the first thread (OP included) were in haiku form. (I was 'avin' a giggle, m8.) The second thread is irrelevant to your point. The third thread is satire of the finest variety.

You're really cool.

User avatar
LexLeon
Posts: 400
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:03 pm

Re: Feeling stressed? Instant relief inside!

Postby LexLeon » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:14 pm

BigRob wrote:It's that time of year. Stress got you down? Recognize your "stress" for what it is: A first-world problem.

If you have enough food and water (read: if you're reading this right now), your life is markedly better than the lives of 99.999% of the human beings who have ever lived, and better than a huge percentage of people who are living now. Consider some other things you could be doing with your life:

Would you rather live in a third-world country doing backbreaking labor for pennies a day?
Would you rather be seriously physically ill, mentally ill, or otherwise deformed?
Would you rather be a soldier in a war, dodging bullets and napalm only to later bury your friends (if you're lucky)?
Would you rather live in a time earlier than, say, 1,000 B.C.? (Terrible for obvious reasons.)
Would you rather be trapped in a sex dungeon like the one in Ohio, or portrayed in the movie Pulp Fiction?

TL;DR: Sack up, ladies. Your life is fine. Can't find a job? Don't bitch and moan and stress. Try to find a job. Still can't find a job? Don't bitch and moan and stress. Live with your parents or in a homeless shelter or something. Your life is still orders of magnitude better than what it could be.


Truth.

One of the best posts I've read.

Thanks be to God.

User avatar
gdane
Posts: 12331
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:41 pm

Re: Feeling stressed? Instant relief inside!

Postby gdane » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:17 pm

People just don't like being told that their problems don't matter. Feeling bad about an exam or grades are legitimate things to be concerned about though. Rather than trash on people for feeling stressed, it's best to gently remind them of the good things that they do have.

We all get caught up with going to the best school,getting the best grades, getting the best job, getting the chick with the best rack and best ass, that we forget to appreciate the many wonderful things that we do have. Sometimes thinking about these things closely can help you feel better because you realize that things could be worse. In a way, stepping back and looking at things closely can give you a renewed sense of confidence.

User avatar
nickb285
Posts: 1500
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:25 pm

Re: Feeling stressed? Instant relief inside!

Postby nickb285 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:20 pm

gdane wrote:People just don't like being told that their problems don't matter. Feeling bad about an exam or grades are legitimate things to be concerned about though. Rather than trash on people for feeling stressed, it's best to gently remind them of the good things that they do have.

We all get caught up with going to the best school,getting the best grades, getting the best job, getting the chick with the best rack and best ass, that we forget to appreciate the many wonderful things that we do have. Sometimes thinking about these things closely can help you feel better because you realize that things could be worse. In a way, stepping back and looking at things closely can give you a renewed sense of confidence.


See, this is totally fair. "It'll be alright, you've got people looking out for you etc." is significantly more helpful than "You're dumb for complaining about being in debt and unemployed because dead babies in Africa."

BigRob
Posts: 140
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 8:30 pm

Re: Feeling stressed? Instant relief inside!

Postby BigRob » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:08 pm

nickb285 wrote:
gdane wrote:People just don't like being told that their problems don't matter. Feeling bad about an exam or grades are legitimate things to be concerned about though. Rather than trash on people for feeling stressed, it's best to gently remind them of the good things that they do have.

We all get caught up with going to the best school,getting the best grades, getting the best job, getting the chick with the best rack and best ass, that we forget to appreciate the many wonderful things that we do have. Sometimes thinking about these things closely can help you feel better because you realize that things could be worse. In a way, stepping back and looking at things closely can give you a renewed sense of confidence.


See, this is totally fair. "It'll be alright, you've got people looking out for you etc." is significantly more helpful than "You're dumb for complaining about being in debt and unemployed because dead babies in Africa."



The idea is that people bemoaning their ills should think about what good things are going on their lives (or, about the many much worse things that could have happened to them).

So, I'm not sure the former statement is more helpful than the latter. It's a platitude meant to sugarcoat what you really mean, and weakens the point.

By comparison, a straightforward, door-in-the-face statement ("your 'problems' are relatively insignificant, crybaby") captures all the meaning and force the idea has.


TL;DR: Your problems are relatively insignificant, crybabies.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22826
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Feeling stressed? Instant relief inside!

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:13 pm

Of course they are. They're still problems. And it's still an asshole move to tell people they're crybabies for worrying about their own problems.

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: Feeling stressed? Instant relief inside!

Postby stillwater » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:33 pm

LexLeon wrote:
BigRob wrote:It's that time of year. Stress got you down? Recognize your "stress" for what it is: A first-world problem.

If you have enough food and water (read: if you're reading this right now), your life is markedly better than the lives of 99.999% of the human beings who have ever lived, and better than a huge percentage of people who are living now. Consider some other things you could be doing with your life:

Would you rather live in a third-world country doing backbreaking labor for pennies a day?
Would you rather be seriously physically ill, mentally ill, or otherwise deformed?
Would you rather be a soldier in a war, dodging bullets and napalm only to later bury your friends (if you're lucky)?
Would you rather live in a time earlier than, say, 1,000 B.C.? (Terrible for obvious reasons.)
Would you rather be trapped in a sex dungeon like the one in Ohio, or portrayed in the movie Pulp Fiction?

TL;DR: Sack up, ladies. Your life is fine. Can't find a job? Don't bitch and moan and stress. Try to find a job. Still can't find a job? Don't bitch and moan and stress. Live with your parents or in a homeless shelter or something. Your life is still orders of magnitude better than what it could be.


Truth.

One of the best posts I've read.

Thanks be to God.


love me some LexLeon

thedive
Posts: 122
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:07 pm

Re: Feeling stressed? Instant relief inside!

Postby thedive » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:13 am

My beer got too warm reading this thread . . . shit. #firstworldproblems




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: deadthrone7, LawHammer, m052310, Stubbazubba and 13 guests