Feeling stressed? Instant relief inside!

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
BigRob

Feeling stressed? Instant relief inside!

Postby BigRob » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:50 pm

It's that time of year. Stress got you down? Recognize your "stress" for what it is: A first-world problem.

If you have enough food and water (read: if you're reading this right now), your life is markedly better than the lives of 99.999% of the human beings who have ever lived, and better than a huge percentage of people who are living now. Consider some other things you could be doing with your life:

Would you rather live in a third-world country doing backbreaking labor for pennies a day?
Would you rather be seriously physically ill, mentally ill, or otherwise deformed?
Would you rather be a soldier in a war, dodging bullets and napalm only to later bury your friends (if you're lucky)?
Would you rather live in a time earlier than, say, 1,000 B.C.? (Terrible for obvious reasons.)
Would you rather be trapped in a sex dungeon like the one in Ohio, or portrayed in the movie Pulp Fiction?

TL;DR: Sack up, ladies. Your life is fine. Can't find a job? Don't bitch and moan and stress. Try to find a job. Still can't find a job? Don't bitch and moan and stress. Live with your parents or in a homeless shelter or something. Your life is still orders of magnitude better than what it could be.

Dr. Review

Re: Feeling stressed? Instant relief inside!

Postby Dr. Review » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:52 pm

While the sentiment is appreciated by many, to be sure, I think that consolidating the discussion within viewtopic.php?f=3&t=216920 is sensible.

gdane

Postby gdane » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:57 pm

I agree with you man.

Also to add, it's not the end of the world if you don't get into Harvard or Penn or whatever top 14 you want.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:16 pm

I'm not reading all that.

seahawk32

Postby seahawk32 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:59 pm

This might be the dumbest thing I've ever read. No offense lol.

WanderingPondering

Postby WanderingPondering » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:10 pm

seahawk32 wrote:This might be the dumbest thing I've ever read. No offense lol.

Really bro? It's pretty important to keep things in perspective, IMO.

BigRob

Postby BigRob » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:42 pm

You: Missed an issue on law school exam. *Weeps inconsolably.*
African Child: Brother eaten by a lion. MORE RICE FOR ME! *Cheers*

brotherdarkness

Postby brotherdarkness » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:07 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:21 pm

m
Last edited by rad lulz on Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

orangecup

Postby orangecup » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:11 am

BigRob wrote:

That's not the point. Sometimes shit happens. Not finding a job is a big deal. Just because someone, somewhere may have it worse than you doesn't mean that your problems aren't real. Otherwise, you'd be able to extend your argument to just about anything? Your dad died? Stop whining, at least you're not trapped in a sex dungeon. :roll:

BigRob

Postby BigRob » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:55 am

orangecup wrote:
BigRob wrote:

That's not the point. Sometimes shit happens. Not finding a job is a big deal. Just because someone, somewhere may have it worse than you doesn't mean that your problems aren't real. Otherwise, you'd be able to extend your argument to just about anything? Your dad died? Stop whining, at least you're not trapped in a sex dungeon. :roll:

Point granted -- it's true, real problems exist. But, again, it's all relative. And, it's pretty shady that you used the sex dungeon example to support your "someone, somewhere" attenuation argument. Why not use the "food insecure" or "living before modern times" examples as the standard against which you judge the relative seriousness of suffering. The vast majority of humans have dealt with both - food insecurity is just a horrendous reality, and the inherent suffering Darwinian evolution entails is as bad or worse. I'd much rather live in a homeless shelter, or under a bridge with access to a soup kitchen (or deal with the relative sadness of my dad dying) than deal with either.

P.S. I drawed this. Am I a good drawer? I excel at circles and triangles mostly.

http://postimg.org/image/hkf395e21/

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:36 am

Strangely, getting told my problems aren't as bad because there are people in the world who have truly abysmal lives doesn't relieve my stress, it just makes me feel guilty for worrying about my own problems. I get the point about perspective but emotions aren't exactly rational and don't always yield to logic.

Basically, if I'm worried about getting a job or something similar and someone tells me it's not that bad because I'm not a child laborer mining diamonds in Africa or the like, I mostly just think that person's an asshole.

nickb285

Postby nickb285 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:00 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Strangely, getting told my problems aren't as bad because there are people in the world who have truly abysmal lives doesn't relieve my stress, it just makes me feel guilty for worrying about my own problems. I get the point about perspective but emotions aren't exactly rational and don't always yield to logic.

Basically, if I'm worried about getting a job or something similar and someone tells me it's not that bad because I'm not a child laborer mining diamonds in Africa or the like, I mostly just think that person's an asshole.

+1 to all of this. In terms of motivation or perspective, it's about as effective as your grandpa telling you how he had to walk ten miles uphill both ways to school, with the added benefit of a guilt trip for wanting something more out of life than food and a room in your parents' basement.

BigRob

Postby BigRob » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:11 pm

In my estimation, you're all doingitwrong.jpg. If you can imagine the magnitude of suffering some people have dealt (are dealing) with, your "problems" will seem petty and insignificant in comparison. Because they are.

If not, you're lacking imagination and/or empathy.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:57 pm

Well, thanks, that really makes me feel less stressed. :roll:

(And I don't even really have any problems right now. I just think telling people who can't find a job that they're stupid for worrying because people around the world don't have enough to eat is fairly obnoxious. It's not an oppression Olympics. Sure, we're all privileged on this website compared to a starving orphan doing child labor. But that doesn't mean we can't have our own problems or that it's invalid to worry about our problems.)

nickb285

Postby nickb285 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:32 pm

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:35 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

BigRob

Postby BigRob » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:51 pm

My posts in the first thread (OP included) were in haiku form. (I was 'avin' a giggle, m8.) The second thread is irrelevant to your point. The third thread is satire of the finest variety.

You're really cool.

LexLeon

Postby LexLeon » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:14 pm

BigRob wrote:It's that time of year. Stress got you down? Recognize your "stress" for what it is: A first-world problem.

If you have enough food and water (read: if you're reading this right now), your life is markedly better than the lives of 99.999% of the human beings who have ever lived, and better than a huge percentage of people who are living now. Consider some other things you could be doing with your life:

Would you rather live in a third-world country doing backbreaking labor for pennies a day?
Would you rather be seriously physically ill, mentally ill, or otherwise deformed?
Would you rather be a soldier in a war, dodging bullets and napalm only to later bury your friends (if you're lucky)?
Would you rather live in a time earlier than, say, 1,000 B.C.? (Terrible for obvious reasons.)
Would you rather be trapped in a sex dungeon like the one in Ohio, or portrayed in the movie Pulp Fiction?

TL;DR: Sack up, ladies. Your life is fine. Can't find a job? Don't bitch and moan and stress. Try to find a job. Still can't find a job? Don't bitch and moan and stress. Live with your parents or in a homeless shelter or something. Your life is still orders of magnitude better than what it could be.

Truth.

One of the best posts I've read.

Thanks be to God.

gdane

Postby gdane » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:17 pm

People just don't like being told that their problems don't matter. Feeling bad about an exam or grades are legitimate things to be concerned about though. Rather than trash on people for feeling stressed, it's best to gently remind them of the good things that they do have.

We all get caught up with going to the best school,getting the best grades, getting the best job, getting the chick with the best rack and best ass, that we forget to appreciate the many wonderful things that we do have. Sometimes thinking about these things closely can help you feel better because you realize that things could be worse. In a way, stepping back and looking at things closely can give you a renewed sense of confidence.

nickb285

Postby nickb285 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:20 pm

gdane wrote:People just don't like being told that their problems don't matter. Feeling bad about an exam or grades are legitimate things to be concerned about though. Rather than trash on people for feeling stressed, it's best to gently remind them of the good things that they do have.

We all get caught up with going to the best school,getting the best grades, getting the best job, getting the chick with the best rack and best ass, that we forget to appreciate the many wonderful things that we do have. Sometimes thinking about these things closely can help you feel better because you realize that things could be worse. In a way, stepping back and looking at things closely can give you a renewed sense of confidence.

See, this is totally fair. "It'll be alright, you've got people looking out for you etc." is significantly more helpful than "You're dumb for complaining about being in debt and unemployed because dead babies in Africa."

BigRob

Postby BigRob » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:08 pm

nickb285 wrote:
gdane wrote:People just don't like being told that their problems don't matter. Feeling bad about an exam or grades are legitimate things to be concerned about though. Rather than trash on people for feeling stressed, it's best to gently remind them of the good things that they do have.

See, this is totally fair. "It'll be alright, you've got people looking out for you etc." is significantly more helpful than "You're dumb for complaining about being in debt and unemployed because dead babies in Africa."

The idea is that people bemoaning their ills should think about what good things are going on their lives (or, about the many much worse things that could have happened to them).

So, I'm not sure the former statement is more helpful than the latter. It's a platitude meant to sugarcoat what you really mean, and weakens the point.

By comparison, a straightforward, door-in-the-face statement ("your 'problems' are relatively insignificant, crybaby") captures all the meaning and force the idea has.

TL;DR: Your problems are relatively insignificant, crybabies.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:13 pm

Of course they are. They're still problems. And it's still an asshole move to tell people they're crybabies for worrying about their own problems.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:33 pm

LexLeon wrote:
BigRob wrote:It's that time of year. Stress got you down? Recognize your "stress" for what it is: A first-world problem.

Truth.

One of the best posts I've read.

Thanks be to God.

love me some LexLeon

thedive

Postby thedive » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:13 am

My beer got too warm reading this thread . . . shit. #firstworldproblems

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”