Lets talk Crim Law and Contracts supplements.

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Virindi

Lets talk Crim Law and Contracts supplements.

Postby Virindi » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:24 am

I'm a 1L adding these two classes next semester. What supplemental books have you used and/or recommend?

I heard E&E's is notoriously bad for Contracts. Is the Q&As Contracts worth getting because of this?

Also, what hornbooks do you recommend I get for these? (Never used hornbooks before, but plan to this next semester.)

Thanks in advance, and congrats to everyone who is done with their first semester exams.

-----
Just to share my wisdom for classes I do know...

Civ Pro: The Freer supplement is money. Absolutely money. The E&E's is great too for the hypos about PJ/SMJ (Venue is outdated in mine because of the 2011 change) and then all the claim and party joinder rules.
Prop: My teacher wrote a supplement so that's what I used. The E&E was generally useless, except for the bit on future interests which I could not have grasped without this book.
Torts: I'm pretty sure the E&E was written by god himself.

Nova

Re: Lets talk Crim Law and Contracts supplements.

Postby Nova » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:32 am

dressler's "Understanding Crim" is highly rated here on TLS

For K, I liked commercial OLs like Emanuel

For Hypos and multiple choice, MBE questions + Siegles
http://www.amazon.com/Siegels-Contracts ... 0735556865

old editions generally work fine

nebula666

Postby nebula666 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:13 am

Barbri lectures on contracts are pretty solid as well. I didn't think the contracts E&E was too bad but I didn't use it very often.

Andrews989

Postby Andrews989 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:29 pm

Nova wrote:dressler's "Understanding Crim" is highly rated here on TLS

For K, I liked commercial OLs like Emanuel

For Hypos and multiple choice, MBE questions + Siegles
http://www.amazon.com/Siegels-Contracts ... 0735556865

old editions generally work fine

+1 on understanding criminal law by Dressler. I also recommend the sub + substance audio with Dressler for criminal law. Esepcially if Dressler wrote the casebook.

I used the E&E and the crunchtime for contracts. Both were decently helpful

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:59 pm

Dressler is the ONLY supplement when it comes to Crim Law.

For Ks, I guess Chirelstein is okay. I wasn't big on it but I did think the remedies section was particularly good.

Wearthewildthingsr

Postby Wearthewildthingsr » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:36 pm

I think chirelstein was super overrated. I think he had good insights but really imo I think the sections were not well organized and often you'd be reading on cases not covered in classes.

I think acing K's are super useful for a general overview and douglas wheeleys audio supplements were super helpful. I'd also pick up maybe calamari and perillo's hornbook as I thought it was super good.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:43 pm

Wearthewildthingsr wrote:I think chirelstein was super overrated. I think he had good insights but really imo I think the sections were not well organized and often you'd be reading on cases not covered in classes.

I think acing K's are super useful for a general overview and douglas wheeleys audio supplements were super helpful. I'd also pick up maybe calamari and perillo's hornbook as I thought it was super good.

super!

Wearthewildthingsr

Postby Wearthewildthingsr » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:22 am

stillwater wrote:
Wearthewildthingsr wrote:I think chirelstein was super overrated. I think he had good insights but really imo I think the sections were not well organized and often you'd be reading on cases not covered in classes.

super!

haha cut me some slack I've been studying non-stop and this was at like 3:30 in the morn

KD35

Postby KD35 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:27 am

Chirelstein I thought was good for a good overview of a topic and how it has developed. It can be badly written in some places. In terms of hornbooks for K, I really liked Calamari and Perillo on Contracts, I thought it was a good introduction.

Not as much of a supplement in the traditional sense, but I also found that for contracts, the CALI lessons were much more useful than say Torts or CivPro (at least for how my professors taught it).

owlofminerva

Postby owlofminerva » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:42 am

Definitely Dressler for Crim Law. It is the ONLY supplement you need for that class--it doesn't have any questions to practice from like an E&E, but it is such a great book.

criminaltheory

Postby criminaltheory » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:03 am

owlofminerva wrote:Definitely Dressler for Crim Law. It is the ONLY supplement you need for that class--it doesn't have any questions to practice from like an E&E, but it is such a great book.

Any worthwhile differences between the 5th edition from 09 and the 6th from 2012? Crim law can't change that much right?

soj

Postby soj » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:47 pm

no worthwhile differences.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”