How screwed am I?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
echooo23

Re: How screwed am I?

Postby echooo23 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:10 pm

cynthia rose wrote:Sorry I guess I didn't state my point well. I'm not telling OP he will get a C+ like I did, b/c he very likely won't. My point was that I missed a LOT of stuff on that exam. Analyzed an issue wrong (the same one he missed), completely missed others. Analyzing one issue wrong is a lot less harmful than missing things altogether (I still have the review of my exam and the prof said that the missed issues were where other students picked up points over me). I'm not happy about that C+ trust me. I knew I effed that test up as soon as I left the room though. It was what it was. The tough part is that the C+ is not the end of the world if I do well in everything else, and I think I did well enough to at least be median in my other classes, but I won't know for sure until a month from now.

But to bring it back to OP, he will be fine. OP was worried he was going to get a D or F! You have to fuck up really badly to fail out. If OP only misinterpreted that one issue, just in that he analyzed the wrong angle, everything will be ok. As in, whatever median is at his school, he'll do that or better, though he probably won't be the one who books the class. He's not going to fail, if he's right that he didn't miss anything else he will at the very least be median, and whether median is 'good' or not mostly comes down to the school itself so that much is out of his control.

If he gets anything less than median it will be because he missed more than that one issue. Also I'm at a T25, fwiw.

Isn't a C+ basically a D or F? Most schools don't even give Ds or Fs, like, at all.

cynthia rose

Postby cynthia rose » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:34 pm

^At my school you have to have a C to pass an individual class, but an overall C+ average to graduate. I know someone who made a C in that same class and she's been freaking out this whole semester b/c she must do much better in everything else, not just to move up but to remain in good standing, basically. If you make a D or F you have to take the class over, but the D/F does not even show up on your transcript or get calculated in your GPA, oddly enough. In that respect it's almost better to outright fail I guess, though the retake throws your schedule off. We have a couple of people in our classes who are retaking courses they failed, so it does happen, but yes, we've been told repeatedly that it is rare.

Now there is no getting around the fact that I am (so far) at the bottom of the class. I came into the fall with some pressure already on me knowing I had to overcome that. I think the reason I'm so calm about it is b/c I know that I'm not a C+ level student. When I showed the prof and one of the lrw profs my practice exams they kept emphasizing how impressed they were , but then the morning of the actual exam I got sick and spent most of the morning vomiting everything I'd ever eaten in my entire life. Combine that with the daily hour long commute I was doing at the time, and by the time the test started I was so exhausted I could barely stay awake and I just wanted to get out of there. So I didn't give it my best effort at all.

Seriously, when people freak out over stuff like this (just misinterpreting one issue, not even missing it entirely) I always roll my eyes a little bit and shrug 'oh you'll be median and probably better, get away from me' and it's b/c I know firsthand how badly you have to screw up to be at the very bottom. No one is going to do worse than what I did. Likely won't come close.

JDot

Postby JDot » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:22 pm

need some input...

So yesterday was my civ pro exam and I was 100% convinced the big essay was on personal jurisdiction (I was wrong). I made the stupid mistake of not reading the call of the question first and immediately started reading the fact pattern. Once I got to the question, it was about venue and the defendant trying to file a motion to dismiss for improper venue.

So I do a venue analysis and then start to do a subject matter jurisdiction analysis too for some unknown reason (the question didn't ask for it). I basically conclude there is no diversity between the parties and therefore no subject matter jurisdiction in federal court.

Then I conclude the entire essay stating that the case should be dismissed for improper venue because the case lacked diversity and it has no business being in federal court.

As soon as I walked out of the room I had an "OH SHIT!" moment and realized that venue and subject matter jurisdiction are completely separate and my conclusion incorrectly combined the two......how screwed am I.....?.......I'm pissed because I really thought I had civ pro down and thought I was going to do well on the exam.

Nova

Postby Nova » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:25 pm

JDot wrote:......how screwed am I.....?.......

BrotherD wrote:it's done. There's nothing you can do about it now. Have a stiff drink and move on with your life.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:36 pm

JDot wrote:need some input...

So yesterday was my civ pro exam and I was 100% convinced the big essay was on personal jurisdiction (I was wrong). I made the stupid mistake of not reading the call of the question first and immediately started reading the fact pattern. Once I got to the question, it was about venue and the defendant trying to file a motion to dismiss for improper venue.

So I do a venue analysis and then start to do a subject matter jurisdiction analysis too for some unknown reason (the question didn't ask for it). I basically conclude there is no diversity between the parties and therefore no subject matter jurisdiction in federal court.

Then I conclude the entire essay stating that the case should be dismissed for improper venue because the case lacked diversity and it has no business being in federal court.

As soon as I walked out of the room I had an "OH SHIT!" moment and realized that venue and subject matter jurisdiction are completely separate and my conclusion incorrectly combined the two......how screwed am I.....?.......I'm pissed because I really thought I had civ pro down and thought I was going to do well on the exam.

You are well less screwed then you think you are.

Reminds me of something though. Does everyone use examsoft? Notice this year that unless the professor enables copy/paste that you cannot copy/paste, whereas last year the professor had to deliberately disable copy/paste, which rarely happened? Used to be that you could fuck up and not read all the Q's first, fight the hypo and talk about something in detail that was better saved for another question. No worries, you would just copy/paste when you got to the next question and change some facts. Easy.

Now you could seriously be in trouble, especially if you are time crunched.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”