At risk of being denied admission to the bar

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
LOLyer

At risk of being denied admission to the bar

Postby LOLyer » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:18 pm

Here's the deal:

I am a 3L, graduating in May, (hopefully) taking the July bar. I just recently had to complete an "informal conference" with two Character and Fitness representatives from my state bar association. They were concerned about my 7 or 8 speeding tickets over the last 10 years, as well as a DUI I got 5 years ago involving marijuana. The DUI was dismissed and expunged, but I reported it anyway of course.

I think the conference went well, but I am faced with another crisis: I got another speeding ticket (literally like two hours before I got the phone call asking me to attend the informal conference). I have not reported it yet. The police officer agreed to withdraw it for me, but the record of the ticket still appears on my record with the municipal court (but not my formal driving record with the DMV).

My questions are:

1. Do I need to report this latest ticket even though it was withdrawn by the officer?

2. How concerned should I be about my bar application at this point? Suffice to say, I am pretty worried?

LeDique

Re: At risk of being denied admission to the bar

Postby LeDique » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:19 pm

Do I really need to tell you that this is not a question for TLS, and is one for an actual lawyer experienced in these matters?

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:24 pm

Depends on the state, bro. Mine didn't care too much about my speeding tickets, but we also didn't have C&F interviews. Like LeDique said, find an ethics lawyer in your state and lawyer up if needed.

horriblegb

Postby horriblegb » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:12 pm

whats your hurry? why u speed so much?

FLaker

Postby FLaker » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:25 pm

Talk to a C&F lawyer in your jurisdiction. I would strongly suspect that the C&F committee would look much less favorably on a failure to report (i.e., not only is candidate a bad driver, but he is not being forthcoming with us). Also, have you looked into taking a safe driving course or something to show the committee that you are being proactive?

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:54 pm

if real, unreal

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:31 am

I had like 15 or 20 tickets. This can't be for serious.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”