how long to crank out a seminar paper? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
victortsoi

Bronze

how long to crank out a seminar paper?

Post by victortsoi » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:26 pm

So, I've left my 15 page seminar paper on the backburner and its due in 9 days. Any success stories of a college style hammer-out session? Could this be done in a day or two? I've never done a LS seminar paper before, and this will be a "survey the law and make an opinion on it"

brotherdarkness

Gold

Re: how long to crank out a seminar paper?

Post by brotherdarkness » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:30 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hichvichwoh

Bronze

Post by hichvichwoh » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:32 pm

1hr/page is what i used in college?

victortsoi

Bronze

Post by victortsoi » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:33 pm

The class is curved to a 3.5, I'd be happy with a B, elated by a B+. Really want to avoid a B- though.

eerie_erie

Bronze

Post by eerie_erie » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:39 am

I'm in sort of a similar position, with a longer paper but also more time to do it. Honestly I would try to wrap up any research you've done now and start writing to get the juices flowing. My best bet is to try to work on it consistently for a hour a day at least. And also talk to your friends to bounce ideas off them or even to have them skim your drafts to make sure it isn't pure BS. That's the strategy I'm going to follow anyways.

Good luck.

Bronx Bum

Bronze

Post by Bronx Bum » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:01 pm

I did this last year. We had to do a 30 page paper to graduate and present on it (writing requirement). I had 36 hours to get it done. I mean really. I didn't pay attention in class all semester. I BEGAN researching 36 hours before my presentation. I remember 18 hours in, I felt sick to my stomach. I thought I was going to fail and not be able to graduate. And the worst part was that the professor was the most nationally recognized person on this topic.

I wrote it, didn't even proof read it once. I didn't cite it according to bluebook. I just eyeballed the citations. It was the most awful thing I ever wrote. After I DID graduate, my GF and I were drunk one night and I pulled it out LOL'ing how many typos, how terrible the grammar was and how it made no sense.

It was awful. My presentation was worse. He must have thought I was on drugs that's how bad it was. He was grilling me on questions and I had NO clue at all. And I took something before with a lot of caffeine in to keep me awake and I was sweating so much I felt like a complete idiot. Everyone was looking at me like I was a moron.

I ended up calming down after and thought "well if I get a D, nbd. I still have a job lined up so I don't care."

Ended up with a B-. You'll be fine man. Law schools don't want to hurt you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”