Open Outline Exam = Trap? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
illiniguy1551

Bronze

Open Outline Exam = Trap?

Post by illiniguy1551 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:31 pm

1L here. I'm prepping for a Contracts open outline exam later this week, and after going through model questions and answers, it seems like referring to actual outlines during the exam a lot would just be a huge time drain. Everyone I've talked to in the class doesn't seem worried about memorizing info at all since they will have "outlines/notes to look stuff up," but I seem to be the only one that thinks this may just be a 1L trap (for all open outline tests in general?)? I decided to go ahead and try to memorize pretty much all the content so I can recognize an issue when I see one in questions, but organize a table of contents by general topic alphabetically, then subtopic, then list appropriate Restatement # and Case Name from class (below) to be able to match up knowledge with source. That way, I pretty much know what I'm going to write since I know what's in the R/S and Cases etc, but I can look at my one page index instantly and be able to provide a citation if I want, or if I really do need to look something up, I still have the option to use my outline as last resort. Do any experienced test takers have any input?

Consideration - Modern Definition - Restatement 71 - Page 5
Consideration - Forbearance Belief - Restatement 74 - Page 5
Mistake - Mutual - Restatement 152 / Sherwood - Walker - Page Page 25
Mistake - Unilateral - Restatement 153 - Page 26
etc. etc. blah. blah.

THANKS.

brotherdarkness

Gold

Re: Open Outline Exam = Trap?

Post by brotherdarkness » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:33 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:42 pm

brotherdarkness wrote:TCR: treat open-book exams the same as your closed-book exams.

It's going to be nice to have a crutch to lean on if you need to. You don't want to be dependent on it.
THIS. i traeted them the same and my assumption was that i would never look at my outline. it was just there as a last-ditch life raft

illiniguy1551

Bronze

Post by illiniguy1551 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:53 pm

Ok good. Just goes to show that the typical 1L student is not the reasonable 1L student then I suppose (if such a creature exists).

hichvichwoh

Bronze

Post by hichvichwoh » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:57 pm

Yeah, you pretty much have to know what you're gonna write before you look at your outline. Just check it to make sure you're using the most technically correct phrasing and that you're citing the correct authority

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PepperJack

Silver

Post by PepperJack » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:58 pm

This is overblown. I got A's looking at it extensively. The trick is having it under 30 pages, and knowing the basics cold but knowing where everything is on said outline.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:04 am

My civpro prof last year told us, "You can use anything. The casebook, the internet, outlines you wrote, outlines you got from other people, commercial supplements, [other professor], anything except [the TA]. Think about it this way. If any of it could do you any good, do you really think I'd let you use it?"

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:06 am

rinkrat19 wrote:My civpro prof last year told us, "You can use anything. The casebook, the internet, outlines you wrote, outlines you got from other people, commercial supplements, [other professor], anything except [the TA]. Think about it this way. If any of it could do you any good, do you really think I'd let you use it?"
this is pretty spot on. you need to apply it. parroting the law won't get it done.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:10 am

rinkrat19 wrote:My civpro prof last year told us, "You can use anything. The casebook, the internet, outlines you wrote, outlines you got from other people, commercial supplements, [other professor], anything except [the TA]. Think about it this way. If any of it could do you any good, do you really think I'd let you use it?"
Nice subtle jab at the other professor. Pretty funny.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:19 am

ph14 wrote:
They're politically opposed but both very respected. All in good fun. :P

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:19 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
ph14 wrote:
They're politically opposed but both very respected. All in good fun. :P
Oh of course. Definitely in good fun and very funny.

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:38 am

IMO you should have a basic road map of the course in your head. But you can rely on your outline for case names or better phrased sentences.

Cellar-door

Bronze

Post by Cellar-door » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:12 am

I plan to use mine mostly as a quick... did I miss anything reference, and more so to be able to look and see... What the hell was that case name?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:13 am

1-2 page attack outlines can be helpful to trigger your memory while not taking up much time.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:17 am

My outlines were 15-20 pages and tabbed

During the exam I wouldn't memorize any law just copy it off my outline

I concentrated my stdying on doing every practice exam I could get my hands on

Zensack

Bronze

Post by Zensack » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:42 pm

The outline(s) you bring into the exam should not be the comprehensive study outlines you made during the semester. The type of things you want on an exam outline would include canned rule statements ("Battery is a volitional act..."), defenses/exceptions banks, case banks (pennoyer v neff — quasi in rem jurisdiction), terms of art, flowcharts, etc. Something you can glance at to get a specific piece of information to keep your fingers typing, or make sure you didn't miss an important part of some element. Put very basic info on their, and keep the page count low.

mu13ski

Bronze

Post by mu13ski » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:01 pm

Surprised this hasn't been posted yet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F4qzPbcFiA

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”