1L here, freaking about my performance on my first exam

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
abelay3

1L here, freaking about my performance on my first exam

Postby abelay3 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:43 am

Hey guys, I am freaking out right now. I took my Civ Pro exam on Friday and I think I may have shot my self in the foot big time. It was three hours, two parts, 50 MC, the other 1 essay. The time just flew without me noticing. I got through the MC, and I believe I did rather well. However, I barely got through 3 paragraphs of my essay. I would guess I finished between 15 - 20% of it. We were allowed scratch paper, and I mapped out my essay rather thoroughly so I can only hope my prof takes that into account. Has anyone been in a similar position and did well? I really hope I didn't tank this exam, because I put forth way too much effort into this class and in preparing for this exam. If it helps, I go to a low TT.

Tanicius

Re: 1L here, freaking about my performance on my first exam

Postby Tanicius » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:18 am

There's no way to know how this stacks up against your classmates, but suffice it to say: You did not fail.

olive16

Postby olive16 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:28 pm

First, whether you think you aced the exam or bombed it, you need to move on and prepare for the next one. Stressing over an exam you've already taken will only hurt your performance on future exams. Don't waste time worrying when you could be using that time to study/outline/do practice questions.

Second, it sounds like you did fine. I've spoken to several professors who claim to have given good grades to people who clearly ran out of time, but who had provided a detailed answer sketch where they identified the issues, jotted down some preliminary analysis, etc. If that's what you did, then you have nothing to worry about. Granted, you might miss out on some points, but if your answer sketch was solid, I don't think you'll be hurt too badly.

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:37 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kykiske

Postby kykiske » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:09 pm

I'll echo what everyone else has said thus far.

There's no way for you to accurately guess where you'll end up on the professor's curve.

But I will say this: I had a very similar experience with my 1L Contracts exam. I spent a lot of time on the MC, and barely typed 5 paragraphs on the long essay portion. And Contracts ended up being my highest grade.

I'm sure you're feeling some exam anxiety. That's perfectly understandable.

I find it quite helpful to step back and relax for an hour after a long period of studying.

Presidentjlh

Postby Presidentjlh » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:12 pm

There is nothing to fear in these situations, for you may very well right now actually have the best answer for that test.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:16 pm

Just make this a learning experience and try and move forward in the future.

abelay3

Postby abelay3 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:33 pm

Thanks. You guys are probably right. I thought I had prepared rather thoroughly, but clearly I did not. I understood the material rather well, but where I messed up, I believe, is in how I attacked the test. The time just flies so fast. I'll have to incorporate more practice exams in my preparation.

Gefuehlsecht

Postby Gefuehlsecht » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:09 am

abelay3 wrote: I'll have to incorporate more practice exams in my preparation.

This here is something first years should write a 100 times every day.

All the outlining in the world will not get you anywhere if you don't practice under timed conditions. This holds true for first year exams but even more so for the bar exam essays.

Regarding your concerns about bombing the exam, try to stop worrying too much about it. You can't change it now and it is possible that the curve might save your behind. Move on to the next exam and treat this as a learning experience.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”