need help selecting last 2L class

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

which class

Secured Transactions
9%
Family Law
36%
Remedies
55%

Total votes: 11

anjmissy

need help selecting last 2L class

Postby anjmissy » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:19 am

want to go into PD work but I also want to take a class that will best prepare me for the bar (either va, colorado, nc, shoot, anywhere)

So which class

Remedies, Secured Transactions, or Family law (i assume i can learn this material easily without the class, is that an incorrect assumption?)

arklaw13

Re: need help selecting last 2L class

Postby arklaw13 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:21 am

I thought the consensus was not to take bar classes just for the sake of bar prep because you'll forget it anyway and your bar prep course will do a better job anyway?

misterjames

Postby misterjames » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:02 pm

arklaw13 wrote:I thought the consensus was not to take bar classes just for the sake of bar prep because you'll forget it anyway and your bar prep course will do a better job anyway?

I've heard the same, and I wish I heard it sooner. I'm in Trusts & Estates now and I really dislike it. I only took it for the bar, definitely regretting it.

anjmissy

Postby anjmissy » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:24 am

thanks all, everyone has been telling me to take secured transactions, i signed up for remedies. Secured just seems so dry to me, and i figure if i do take any class for the bar i should take it 3rd year closer to the bar.

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:29 am

you can learn almost any legal subject on your own. the idea that there are certain classes you "must take" is entirely flame. The exception is LRW, which is required anyways.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:34 am

Blessedassurance wrote:you can learn almost any legal subject on your own. the idea that there are certain classes you "must take" is entirely flame. The exception is LRW, which is required anyways.

but your boss will tell you how they want things written, so really its no different

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:43 am

northwood wrote:
Blessedassurance wrote:you can learn almost any legal subject on your own. the idea that there are certain classes you "must take" is entirely flame. The exception is LRW, which is required anyways.

but your boss will tell you how they want things written, so really its no different

true, i was gonna add that but then i thought about it and figured you'd probably still need to know how to conduct proper research, structure an argument, the basics of bluebooking (i know corp guys who haven't touched a bluebook in years) etc. i see it as the most important (and only useful) class because it teaches you how to teach yourself the law.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:03 pm

Blessedassurance wrote:
northwood wrote:

true, i was gonna add that but then i thought about it and figured you'd probably still need to know how to conduct proper research, structure an argument, the basics of bluebooking (i know corp guys who haven't touched a bluebook in years) etc. i see it as the most important (and only useful) class because it teaches you how to teach yourself the law.

true, but you don't need a class for that, you can just talk to your lexis nexis / westlaw reps... but I guess, of the law classes, it is the least useless

Postby 09042014 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:39 pm

misterjames wrote:
arklaw13 wrote:I thought the consensus was not to take bar classes just for the sake of bar prep because you'll forget it anyway and your bar prep course will do a better job anyway?

I've heard the same, and I wish I heard it sooner. I'm in Trusts & Estates now and I really dislike it. I only took it for the bar, definitely regretting it.

I think TE is a good class to take before the bar. It's weird, has a lot of rules, and is usually tested on the bar.

Postby 2014 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:48 pm

Secured Transactions is pretty mechanical and strikes me as something that Barbri is well equipped to handle. I also don't see how it would be even slightly useful as a PD.

anjmissy

Postby anjmissy » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:26 pm

yea i dont see how it will be helpful for PD work either, now its just down to family law or remedies..

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”