Long-arm question civ pro

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
patienunderstanding

Long-arm question civ pro

Postby patienunderstanding » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:30 pm

What does it mean "that state long-arm statutes extend as much as permitted under the U.S. Constitution" in terms of doing analysis on the Civ Pro exam? Does it mean I should simply "acknowledge" that the long-arm is satisfied and I only need to do Due Process analysis? (PJ)
Thanks

Tiago Splitter

Re: Long-arm question civ pro

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:36 pm

patienunderstanding wrote:What does it mean "that state long-arm statutes extend as much as permitted under the U.S. Constitution" in terms of doing analysis on the Civ Pro exam? Does it mean I should simply "acknowledge" that the long-arm is satisfied and I only need to do Due Process analysis? (PJ)
Thanks

Yep. Acknowledge that there needs to be a statute and that there is one. If it says it goes to the limits of constitutionality, just analyze the constitutionality of the particular hypo.

patienunderstanding

Re: Long-arm question civ pro

Postby patienunderstanding » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:10 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
patienunderstanding wrote:What does it mean "that state long-arm statutes extend as much as permitted under the U.S. Constitution" in terms of doing analysis on the Civ Pro exam? Does it mean I should simply "acknowledge" that the long-arm is satisfied and I only need to do Due Process analysis? (PJ)
Thanks

Yep. Acknowledge that there needs to be a statute and that there is one. If it says it goes to the limits of constitutionality, just analyze the constitutionality of the particular hypo.

Thanks a lot! :)

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”