Which is easiest?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
BigRob

Which is easiest?

Postby BigRob » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:46 pm

Trying to figure out which elective is best for my last semester. Factors:

Common law > statutes;
Many fact-intensive inquiries (i.e. "reasonableness" in torts); and
Quality supplement availability.

What say you, TLS?
Last edited by BigRob on Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rinkrat19

Re: Which is easier: Copyright or First Amendment?

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:47 pm

This seems like something you need to ask your fellow students who've taken the classes at your school, because a professor could make all the difference.

Carlo Von Sexron

Postby Carlo Von Sexron » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:05 pm

BigRob wrote:Trying to figure out which class will make it easier to coast through my last semester. Factors:

Least amount of substantive law;
Common law > statutes;
Many fact-intensive inquiries (i.e. "reasonableness" in torts); and
Quality supplement availability.

What say you, TLS?
I took First Amendment, media law, and an IP survey course that included copyright. Copyright concepts were easier for me to memorize because it's all statutory and pretty easy to compartmentalize.

If you prefer common law over statutes, First Amendment is all case law. The problem is there are many modes of analysis and lines of cases within each, because First Amendment includes speech, press, religion, assembly. The public forum doctrine made me want to slit my wrists. So in that sense, there's more substantive law in First Amendment.

One thing you might want to consider is that First Amendment is heavily tested on the MBE. (Copyright is not.) If you master it before you start studying for the bar, you'll save yourself a headache or two.

BigRob

Postby BigRob » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:33 pm

I appreciate the advice - it makes a lot of sense. I'm definitely leaning toward Copyright, then. Discrete analyses makes me happy (should have included that as a factor in the OP).

P.S. I'm not worried about the bar at all. 95% of first-time test takers from my school passed this year. e.z.p.z.

shepdawg

Postby shepdawg » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:22 am

It depends. My copyright class was the hardest class of my entire law school experience.

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:41 am

rinkrat19 wrote:This seems like something you need to ask your fellow students who've taken the classes at your school, because a professor could make all the difference.

So much this

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”