Outlining Farnsworth Contracts

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Easy-E

Outlining Farnsworth Contracts

Postby Easy-E » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:00 pm

Does anyone find the organization of the book frustrating? I'm starting my outline, but my professors syllabus is just the headings from the book, and it just seems to jump around way too much. Would it be a bad idea to base my outline around the structure of Chirelsteins book instead? It just seems more cogent to me. I know I can make my outline whatever way I want, but I'm stressing.

Frothingslosh

Re: Outlining Farnsworth Contracts

Postby Frothingslosh » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:10 am

I was actually just about to ask this exact same question. I'd be interested in this as well.

sublime

Postby sublime » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:29 am

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:57 am

sublime wrote:Also a 1L, so obligatory grain of salt disclaimer, but I used supplements as outline skeletons for some of my classes.

And although it was frustrating at first, I liked how my K's course was structured. It was the Dawson book and went damages/remedies, Promises/consideration, assent/offer, acceptance, shit that invalidates a K, then conditions.

I don't know that there is a really good starting point for K's since it is all so interrelated.

Outline however seems best to you. I will be ok. :D

I found an on outline for the book that gave me a pretty solid layout to go off. But yeah I'm seeing that even Chirelstein jumps around, and my professor used some of the cases in different sections than he (Chirelstein) did.

KD35

Postby KD35 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:58 am

1L as well but how I am doing it is based on how my professor wants the essay answered. Professor prefers mutual assent, consideration, affirmative defenses to formation, performance, breach, remedies. So I'm writing my outline like that so I am thinking on that level. So I'd say look at professor's past exams and see how the best answers have been organized and use that as a starting block.

sublime

Postby sublime » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:01 am

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:35 am

KD35 wrote:1L as well but how I am doing it is based on how my professor wants the essay answered. Professor prefers mutual assent, consideration, affirmative defenses to formation, performance, breach, remedies. So I'm writing my outline like that so I am thinking on that level. So I'd say look at professor's past exams and see how the best answers have been organized and use that as a starting block.

Didn't give us any model answers unfortunately, but she's doing a QA tomorrow so maybe I'll know more then. Thanks for posting the approach you used though.

sublime wrote:
emarxnj wrote:
I found an on outline for the book that gave me a pretty solid layout to go off. But yeah I'm seeing that even Chirelstein jumps around, and my professor used some of the cases in different sections than he (Chirelstein) did.

Yea, it sounds like you are on your way then.

I am not in love with the format I used, but it just seems like there isn't a great way, and it really doesn't matter as long as you understand it.

Btw, I meant "it will be ok" on my above post not "I will be ok"

Also KD, any tips on finding out what he wants if he refused to give model answers? He is really focused on formulating a precise issue statement in the exact format he wants, but that kinda involves everything.

Right now I have it in order, but do you think it is worth switching to a more traditional, moving through the stages of the process type outline?

Like I said, same deal here, no model answers. I was hoping to put together some "master flowchart" but I'm not sure it'll be worth the effort for a closed-book exam.

KD35

Postby KD35 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:32 pm

I got feedback on it by going into his office hours and talking with him about the format. He's a new professor, so all I really have to go off of is his feedback and the ungraded midterm we had. Just ask what makes the most sense for your professor. Also, the professor does tend to teach K in the steps the professor wants you to go over an exam question (at least at my school).

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”