California Bar Exam Repeaters that Passed

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
DwightSchruteFarms

California Bar Exam Repeaters that Passed

Postby DwightSchruteFarms » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:32 am

Wondering what score you received on the failing exam before the one you passed. I just got my score back and scored a 1370. No idea how my essays were sub 60 since I was practicing at 65-70 range and I wrote onto Law Review in school. Just shocked really. Anyway, what scores did you receive before you eventually passed? Trying to see if it is realistic for me to pass the second time

Thanks.

RedGiant

Re: California Bar Exam Repeaters that Passed

Postby RedGiant » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:21 am

I haven't taken the exam, but I worked for many years at Silicon Valley firms. Usually the associates that failed who later passed just barely failed...and then they studied their buns off afterward for the second go, usually because their jobs were on the line. You can do it! But you need to attack it with gusto, and the mindset that the last time was a fluke. If you go through the motions half-assed, you are setting yourself up to not do well. I had a friend who just did it half-heartedly (she did not work at my firm, her job was not on the line, and she was nowhere near passing), and she failed FOUR times, all times with many extra days due to disability accommodation. She confessed to me that she was hardly trying for the 2nd-4th times, because she felt the test was so far beyond her abilities.

I truly believe that if you were close on your practice tests, you should be able to do this. Come on! You made it through law school, right?!?! Like unemployment, this is a time you gotta suit up, and fake it till you make it, with a smile. Confidence is key. Good luck!

Postby 06102016 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:12 pm

TheGreatFish

Postby TheGreatFish » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:49 am

How well did you do on the other two sections? In my opinion, the six California essays are the most difficult thing to prepare for because of the wide variety of potential topics that can appear. You could spend weeks mastering a topic that doesn't even get tested.

It might be better to focus on the MBEs and the PTs. Those sections are far more predictable, and it's much easier to improve your score.

DwightSchruteFarms

Postby DwightSchruteFarms » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:43 pm

My MBE was a bit below average (scaled 1400+) but my PTs and essays were horrible, scaled 1340. I went over some released answer keys and I hit all the issues. I broke up my IRAC with headings and everything. On PTB I got a 50 (!?) so I am a bit shocked. I never though writing would be a problem. I was on Law Review and Honors Moot Court so I am a bit puzzled. I just want to know if a 70 point improvement is realistic or not.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”