ITT: Evidence Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
HiiPower2015

New

Re: ITT: Evidence

Post by HiiPower2015 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:38 pm

This came up on a practice exam I'm doing and I can't find it in my notes but I thought I remember my professor mentioning it. What issues come up when the plaintiff attempts to introduce defendant's previous history of filing multiple lawsuits.

it seems like it could be character evidence, or may just be irrelevant unless its shown that the claims were frivolous

brotherdarkness

Gold

Post by brotherdarkness » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:37 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cmartin5970

New

Post by cmartin5970 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:46 pm

After doing some hypos, I realize I don't understand Rule 408 even though it seemed simple at first.
The text itself says, "Evidence of the following is not admissible — on behalf of any party — either to prove or disprove the validity or amount of a disputed claim"
When it mentions the amount or validity of a "disputed claim", is it referring to the claim which is currently being litigated, or the claim in which a settlement was offered. I know in most cases the settlement offer pertains to the case that is actually at trial but in this hypo they are different.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:10 am

cmartin5970 wrote:After doing some hypos, I realize I don't understand Rule 408 even though it seemed simple at first.
The text itself says, "Evidence of the following is not admissible — on behalf of any party — either to prove or disprove the validity or amount of a disputed claim"
When it mentions the amount or validity of a "disputed claim", is it referring to the claim which is currently being litigated, or the claim in which a settlement was offered. I know in most cases the settlement offer pertains to the case that is actually at trial but in this hypo they are different.
Claim in which the settlement was offered. Consider the justification for the rule in the first place: we don't want to discourage people from settling, so a settlement in that particular case cannot mean shit (legally) as to whether the claim was valid.

cmartin5970

New

Post by cmartin5970 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:13 am

bjsesq wrote:
cmartin5970 wrote:After doing some hypos, I realize I don't understand Rule 408 even though it seemed simple at first.
Claim in which the settlement was offered. Consider the justification for the rule in the first place: we don't want to discourage people from settling, so a settlement in that particular case cannot mean shit (legally) as to whether the claim was valid.
say you are suing police officer X for excessive force and you want to bring in evidence that 2 years ago he settled a claim for excessive force for $20,000. I know it wouldn't come in so the hypo isn't perfect, but would the settlement be inadmissible to prove the validity of the previous excessive force claim, or inadmissible to prove the validity of the current lawsuit against the officer?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Birdnals

Gold

Post by Birdnals » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:36 pm

Hey everybody, make me know all the evidences by Wednesday. Go.

Blumpbeef

Gold

Post by Blumpbeef » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:39 pm

Birdnals wrote:Hey everybody, make me know all the evidences by Wednesday. Go.
Gimme like an hour and I'll do my part for you. Also, I need to learn this shit by Tuesday.

Also, I think you know twice as much as I do at this point.

brotherdarkness

Gold

Post by brotherdarkness » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:39 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Birdnals

Gold

Post by Birdnals » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:43 pm

brotherdarkness wrote:
Birdnals wrote:Hey everybody, make me know all the evidences by Wednesday. Go.
Don't be like me and not see the adopted admission. Eyes. Peeled.
My prof is all about saying things like "first we need to determine it relevant" even when any retard could see it is, so I have a checklist so I don't brain fart.

Also, fuck multiple choice/essay tests. They throw the fuck off my timing. Pick one!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:55 pm

I know BDs test is already over but police reports are NOT admissible under public or business records exception. They are prepared in anticipation of litigation. They are admissible for impeachment purposes.

brotherdarkness

Gold

Post by brotherdarkness » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:58 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:01 pm

brotherdarkness wrote:
Pleasye wrote:I know BDs test is already over but police reports are NOT admissible under public or business records exception. They are prepared in anticipation of litigation. They are admissible for impeachment purposes.
Thanks for looking (and hopefully it helps someone else here). It didn't come up on my exam (or maybe it did and I didn't see it). Evidence makes me sad.
I'm sure you did fine, you're a smarty pants <3

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:51 pm

Pleasye wrote:
brotherdarkness wrote:
Pleasye wrote:I know BDs test is already over but police reports are NOT admissible under public or business records exception. They are prepared in anticipation of litigation. They are admissible for impeachment purposes.
Thanks for looking (and hopefully it helps someone else here). It didn't come up on my exam (or maybe it did and I didn't see it). Evidence makes me sad.
I'm sure you did fine, you're a smarty pants <3
yea, BD, you're a smarty pants. you did just fine. no doom and gloom out of you.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Blumpbeef

Gold

Post by Blumpbeef » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:35 am

Worst. Saturday night. Ever.

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:10 am

Blumpbeef wrote:Worst. Saturday night. Ever.
I still love evidence. But I'm doing CALI lessons and they're pissing me off.

Birdnals

Gold

Post by Birdnals » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:01 am

For an 801(d)(1)(c) statement of identification, because the person who made the identification has to be available for cross, wouldn't any other testimony by a 3rd party (like the cop also present at the line up) be cumulative? Would this just mean you always need to make a 403 argument on this type of scenario or am I missing something?

Birdnals

Gold

Post by Birdnals » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:54 pm

BlueLotus wrote:If a defendant was convicted of any crime involving dishonesty, but it's been over 10 years since the conviction (or release from confinement--whichever's later) then does the judge have discretion to keep it out?
And to answer, the judge always have discretion to keep out crimes of dishonesty for 403 reasons. They are just presumed to be admissible. After ten years it is the same only they are not presumed to be admissible. It still can go to creditability which is always material.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

brotherdarkness

Gold

Post by brotherdarkness » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:58 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Birdnals

Gold

Post by Birdnals » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:59 pm

brotherdarkness wrote:
Birdnals wrote:
BlueLotus wrote:If a defendant was convicted of any crime involving dishonesty, but it's been over 10 years since the conviction (or release from confinement--whichever's later) then does the judge have discretion to keep it out?
And to answer, the judge always have discretion to keep out crimes of dishonesty for 403 reasons.
No.

(2) for any crime regardless of the punishment, the evidence must be admitted if the court can readily determine that establishing the elements of the crime required proving — or the witness’s admitting — a dishonest act or false statement.

That's one of the crucial distinctions. A felony is balanced, a crime of dishonesty is not.
Fuck, you are right. I was looking at the 2006 amendment about the proponent needing to have readily available proof that the conviction involved dishonestly/false statements.

Blumpbeef

Gold

Post by Blumpbeef » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:15 pm

Birdnals wrote:For an 801(d)(1)(c) statement of identification, because the person who made the identification has to be available for cross, wouldn't any other testimony by a 3rd party (like the cop also present at the line up) be cumulative? Would this just mean you always need to make a 403 argument on this type of scenario or am I missing something?
You can have testimony of other identifications to corroborate the one at issue, since the witness will likely be attacked for not getting a good look at the perp.

Also, if the witness is impeached for her truthtellling then you might need a police officer to testify that she had in fact identified the perp in the past.

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:03 pm

Just to add to this: police reports are available to be used against the government in a criminal case.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Birdnals

Gold

Post by Birdnals » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:07 pm

Pleasye wrote:
Just to add to this: police reports are available to be used against the government in a criminal case.
Right, for due process concerns. They are also admissible as 803(8) government records for civil cases most the time because they were made under a legal duty (think things like downed tree branches reports)

From understanding evidence:
Most federal courts have adopted a flexible approach, holding that the police records exclusion does not apply to all police records- i.e., routine non adversarial matters are not excluded.
Rule803(8)(A)(ii) is only an absolute exclusion for police records in criminal cases (but again, due process requires a criminal defendant be able to use them against the government)

Blumpbeef

Gold

Post by Blumpbeef » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:22 pm

I just hit that wonderful point where I understand it well enough to realize how fucked I am.

Blumpbeef

Gold

Post by Blumpbeef » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:27 pm

I got this from my supplement (as rephrased in my notes, and with my own made up example), but I have another book that contradicts it, saying that FRE prevents any admissions during negotiations entirely. Thoughts?
Rule 408: statements made during negotiations, even if they sound like admissions, are not admissible. However, an out and out admission is not protected. "I know I owe you $500, but I'm only going to give you $300 right now and if you want the 500 you'll have to take this to trial" is not protected. Has to be with regards to both liability and damages; so an admission of negligence but not as to damages is not admissible.
ETA: does this fall under the "proving an effort to obstruct" exception under 408b? What about for civil cases?

Birdnals

Gold

Post by Birdnals » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:40 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:I got this from my supplement (as rephrased in my notes, and with my own made up example), but I have another book that contradicts it, saying that FRE prevents any admissions during negotiations entirely. Thoughts?
Rule 408: statements made during negotiations, even if they sound like admissions, are not admissible. However, an out and out admission is not protected. "I know I owe you $500, but I'm only going to give you $300 right now and if you want the 500 you'll have to take this to trial" is not protected. Has to be with regards to both liability and damages; so an admission of negligence but not as to damages is not admissible.
ETA: does this fall under the "proving an effort to obstruct" exception under 408b? What about for civil cases?
No, this is an example where there has to be an issue in dispute. That example is not a good faith settlement, and according to the advisory committee notes (which in this case most courts follow): the policies underlying rule 408 "do not come into play when the effort is to induce a creditor to settle an admittedly due amount for a lesser sum"

In other words, the person is not disputing liability OR the amount owed, just the amount he wants to pay, which is not a legal dispute and doesn't fulfill the 408 dispute requirement.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”