Question about Plagiarism and C&F

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
troubledone

Question about Plagiarism and C&F

Postby troubledone » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:10 pm

Heartfelt thank you to all for your input.
Last edited by troubledone on Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sublime

Re: Question about Plagiarism and C&F

Postby sublime » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:40 pm

troubledone

Postby troubledone » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:46 pm

Last edited by troubledone on Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sublime

Postby sublime » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:05 pm

BeenDidThat

Postby BeenDidThat » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:41 pm

troubledone wrote:Without going into too much detail, basically my roommate and I are supposed to have a sit down with the dean and our professor about an assignment we wrote for class (not a brief/memo but one of several smaller assignments we had to do throughout the semester) that is apparently similar in content. What had happened was that my roommate was in a major crunch and had wanted to see my assignment to "model" it off of. He made this request within an hour of the class so I sent him my doc as an attachment via email since I was at school and he was at home. We definitely did not work on it together and because my roommate and I have a good relationship for a few years now, I know he obviously didn't do it on purpose but he must have left it substantially similar because he was either desperate, had a lapse in judgment, whatever. He's obviously incredibly apologetic about the situation and has assured me that he will explain the situation and that he will do everything in his power to take all the blame. Problem is, I was always under the impression that even an innocent person providing the source is often busted for the same crime. We were assured by the prof that this wasn't an honor board type of deal, they just want to ask us how we came up with each of our assignments.

I realize the outcome of this type of a situation is dependent on countless factors but does anyone have any knowledge or experience to shed on this predicament I am in? I'm obviously devastated over this and I wanted to have some idea of what to expect here, esp as to whether it affects my C&F.

Thank you in advance.

If your school is anything like mine was, collaborating at all on a legal writing project by providing work to a friend does not make you an "innocent person." It likely depends on what your instructions were. Ours were that we were absolutely not allowed to talk to others about our LRW assignments (if that's what this was).

I have no experience with doing this and if it would affect C&F. I don't agree with sublime's analysis at all, either. While it's true the school would prefer its grads not to have C&F problems, it would also prefer for its students to abide by the honor code. There are obvious moral hazard issues with not enforcing it.

You either violated the honor code or you didn't. Profs are usually pretty clear on their policies on assignments. You are in a better position than I to know if you violated the rules or not. If you did, I doubt the school will play that shit.

sublime

Postby sublime » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:01 pm

cynthia rose

Postby cynthia rose » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:09 pm

troubledone wrote:Without going into too much detail, basically my roommate and I are supposed to have a sit down with the dean and our professor about an assignment we wrote for class (not a brief/memo but one of several smaller assignments we had to do throughout the semester) that is apparently similar in content. What had happened was that my roommate was in a major crunch and had wanted to see my assignment to "model" it off of. He made this request within an hour of the class so I sent him my doc as an attachment via email since I was at school and he was at home. We definitely did not work on it together and because my roommate and I have a good relationship for a few years now, I know he obviously didn't do it on purpose but he must have left it substantially similar because he was either desperate, had a lapse in judgment, whatever. He's obviously incredibly apologetic about the situation and has assured me that he will explain the situation and that he will do everything in his power to take all the blame. Problem is, I was always under the impression that even an innocent person providing the source is often busted for the same crime. We were assured by the prof that this wasn't an honor board type of deal, they just want to ask us how we came up with each of our assignments.

I realize the outcome of this type of a situation is dependent on countless factors but does anyone have any knowledge or experience to shed on this predicament I am in? I'm obviously devastated over this and I wanted to have some idea of what to expect here, esp as to whether it affects my C&F.

Thank you in advance.

No first hand experience with C&F/honor code issues, but if your professor has assured you that it isn't an honor code issue, then it's not an honor code issue. My guess is that 1) they're not going to pursue it b/c it's a minor assignment, and maybe the 'no collaborating' instructions on those were not as explicit as they are on the memos (only you would know this for sure); however, b) the similarities in a minor assignment are still worrisome, and they want to make sure you and your roommate aren't collaborating; if you are under the mistaken impression that this is okay now you might end up doing that on one of the important assignments, where it will definitely be a no-no.

troubledone

Postby troubledone » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:12 pm

Last edited by troubledone on Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:27 pm

The thing with sublime's argument is that I don't know that law schools ever have to report anywhere how many of their grads failed C&F (as opposed to failing the actual bar exam); and if they did care about how many of their grads failed C&F, and were concerned that plagiarism would cause you to fail C&F, they'd be just as likely to expel you and not worry about it, as to not prosecute you for the plagiarism to begin with (sorry, prosecute sounds harsh, I can't think of a better term right now).

This isn't to say you're going to be screwed - like everyone's said, it will depend on your honor code and what the instructions for the assignment were, but you know more about that than we do.

And as for C&F, it's like law school apps - they ask about academic discipline, so if you end up disciplined for this, you'd have to disclose it. It seems very unlikely to me that it would bar your admission if it ends up the only C&F problem (but that's a gut reaction). The big theme in C&F is disclose everything and show that you've taken responsibility for it and put the problem behind you.

sublime

Postby sublime » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:34 pm

Lockfast

Postby Lockfast » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:00 pm

troubledone wrote:What I meant in the OP is simply that it wasn't one of those memo/brief types of writing assignments but it was still a graded writing assignment - it was a pleading as if we were filing it in court (like a complaint or an answer). I realize there's probably no distinction but just in case.

Pleadings (complaint/answers) aren't necessarily that different if you are dealing with the same fact pattern/hypothetical case. I mean, hell, we had to draft pleads for my Trial Ad class and 99% of them looked the exact same.

Like others have said, if your prof assured you that it isn't an honor code violation, I wouldn't worry. Probably a warning to not collaborate or something (which is super weird to me, my school supports/suggests collaboration).

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”