Adaptibar -- thoughts, anyone??

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
AMCD

Adaptibar -- thoughts, anyone??

Postby AMCD » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:23 am

Did Barbri and failed the CA bar in July. Their MBE prep. was, for me at least, all over the board and lacked any sort of progressive flow or solid methodology, that I truly went in there in July feeling I could seriously fail based upon my completely scattered performance on the 2,300 questions I did with Barbri. And I did get a horrible MBE score and while my essay scores were not great enough to carry me through, another 16 MBEs raw, would have squeaked me by with a 1440.

So, does anyone have any thoughts on what to do to seriously give myself a chance of improving on the MBE? Honestly, I get form 20% right to 85% right on the Barbri sets. But, it just never clicked and clearly didn't do the job. Thanks for your thoughts. A number of friends have recommended Adaptibar and claim it did the job for them the second time around.

Cheers!

worldtraveler

Re: Adaptibar -- thoughts, anyone??

Postby worldtraveler » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:23 am

I used adaptibar. (In full disclosure I was an adaptibar rep so I didn't have to pay for it).

I'm not sure it's worth the money. I can say this now that I'm no longer a rep. It was decent, but for what is essentially just a question bank, it's a lot of money. If you can get access to other MBE questions from another source (maybe a used Themis book, strategies and tactics) that is probably a much more economical way to practice the MBE. If you don't care what you spend and just REALLY want to practice the MBE, then maybe it's worth it.

huckabees

Re: Adaptibar -- thoughts, anyone??

Postby huckabees » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:33 am

AMCD wrote:Did Barbri and failed the CA bar in July. Their MBE prep. was, for me at least, all over the board and lacked any sort of progressive flow or solid methodology, that I truly went in there in July feeling I could seriously fail based upon my completely scattered performance on the 2,300 questions I did with Barbri. And I did get a horrible MBE score and while my essay scores were not great enough to carry me through, another 16 MBEs raw, would have squeaked me by with a 1440.

So, does anyone have any thoughts on what to do to seriously give myself a chance of improving on the MBE? Honestly, I get form 20% right to 85% right on the Barbri sets. But, it just never clicked and clearly didn't do the job. Thanks for your thoughts. A number of friends have recommended Adaptibar and claim it did the job for them the second time around.

Cheers!

I think BarBri's online multiple choice questions are almost as good as adaptibar. They are "harder" because their wording isn't as clear as many of the adaptibar ones, but this summer's MBE was not very well written either. My friend used BarBri's online multiple choice and did amazing on the MBE. I would just only do the easy and intermediate questions though; you can deselect the hardest level questions because there will not be many of those types on the real MBE.

Instead of adaptibar, you can buy Emanuel's Strategies and Tactics. That has a ton of real NCBE questions, which is basically all adaptibar is, in software form. I personally bought adaptibar anyway because while it is expensive, $400 for a better chance to pass the bar is nothing in the grand scheme of things. Adaptibar makes it really easy to go back and review questions you got wrong by date range or question type, and I liked their answer explanations. It also gives you more questions in your weak areas until you improve in those areas.

I passed, so I can't say how I ultimately did on the MBE, but I stopped doing BarBri completely and only did adaptibar after week 3.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”