Anyone gotten an A+?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
JDot

Anyone gotten an A+?

Postby JDot » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:20 pm

I'm assuming it's very rare and probably not all professor even give them out, but has anyone gotten an A+ in a class? and if so, what do you think you did to achieve it?

brotherdarkness

Re: Anyone gotten an A+?

Postby brotherdarkness » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:24 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JDot

Postby JDot » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:29 pm

brotherdarkness wrote:
JDot wrote:I'm assuming it's very rare and probably not all professor even give them out, but has anyone gotten an A+ in a class? and if so, what do you think you did to achieve it?

I got a few (you get them if you book the class). I don't know what separated me from the others and I assume it was a one-point difference (i.e., it was marginally better than the exams my peers turned in).

so do you automatically get a A+ if you book the class? Wasn't sure if A+s were handed out at the discretion of the professor or not

helfer snooterbagon

Postby helfer snooterbagon » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:31 pm

Law School Grad here - I think for most, when it gets to that level, it is going to be at least somewhat luck. At least at my school, there was no one person who just consistently booked classes. For the ones that I booked, I thought I had done well, but no better than the classes that I did not book. Interestingly, the class that I thought that I did the very best in was one of my lowest grades in law school.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:33 pm

It depends entirely on the school, the school's 1L grading policy, and the whims of the professor.

My favorite example: once upon a time, there was an exam where 28 points or better was good enough for an 'A' grade (it's all curved, so really that just means roughly 10% of the class got 28 points or higher). A small group of students got As and scored between 28 and 34 points. The second highest grade in the class was 45 points, and the highest grade in the class was 63 points.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:50 pm

It will vary - for instance, my law school didn't award A+s. (I think because the overall university grading system didn't include A+?) It also didn't recognize getting the top grade in the class (you could find out, because the school provided a list of grades issued for each class, so you could see where your grade fell, but there was no official recognition of it as any kind of achievement).

dj_roomba

Postby dj_roomba » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:52 pm

This might be a stupid question but...
what does booking a class mean?

I mean I know it usually means registering for a class. I just don't see the connection to A+s

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:53 pm

Getting the top grade in the class. I think it's called that because you used to get a book as a prize (still do? no idea). Sometimes this is called AmJur-ing the class (because some schools issue American Jurisprudence-sponsored awards for the top of the class) (or again, used to - not sure if they still do).

SamSeaborn2016

Postby SamSeaborn2016 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:22 pm

I've managed to get two A+ grades. Con Law II and Health Law & Policy. Interestingly enough they were taught by the same prof. so I suspect I managed to simply crack what she was looking for in an exam answer. I didn't feel that much more confident walking out of those exams than I normally do.

sap

Postby sap » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:24 pm

My 1L school did CALI awards, a friend's did Witkin awards. Some schools require an A+ to be given out on some curves while prohibiting on other curves (legal writing = no A+ grade at my school because it was too small to have room for them in the curves), some allow for multiple A+ grades. Every school has grading policies posted somewhere on the registrar's website, and since it's so school dependent, that's probably the best place to look. If your school gives book awards, a lot of them have public websites where you can search for previous book award winners. Here's the site if your school does CALIS (--LinkRemoved--), too lazy to find out where/whether other awards have similar.

If you're really committed to getting that grade, you could always connect with the 2Ls/3Ls who got them in your classes in years previous, though I wouldn't recommend this.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:25 pm

if you're a 1L please go back to studying and stop making threads like this at the end of november becuz lol

sap

Postby sap » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:26 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:if you're a 1L please go back to studying and stop making threads like this at the end of november becuz lol

Also this.

odoylerulez

Postby odoylerulez » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:02 pm

For most classes, it's not worth chasing that A+. It'll either happen or it won't. If you're consistently knocking out A- to A level work, you'll put yourself into position to get one with an exceptionally good exam performance. A lot of subjectivity on the part of the professor can be the difference between an A and A+ too.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:07 pm

A+s are gangster.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”