3L Adventure in Class Picking

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
towkthi

3L Adventure in Class Picking

Postby towkthi » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:15 am

I need a 3 credit class for my final semester. I can't bring myself to take something stupid like Sports Law, so any thoughts on the following classes:

Bankruptcy
Federal Courts
Employment Discrimination
Commercial Paper

LSATNightmares

Re: 3L Adventure in Class Picking

Postby LSATNightmares » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:51 am

What do you want to practice? Personally, I like the idea of taking Bankruptcy or Fed Courts, with a greater preference for Bankruptcy. That stuff is otherwise hard to figure out without a foundational class. Not sure what Commercial Paper is about, though.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:59 am

Skip Fed Courts (aka gunner's paradise), do Bankruptcy. It's a class that you should be able to easily find outlines and old exams for.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:02 am

LSATNightmares wrote:What do you want to practice? Personally, I like the idea of taking Bankruptcy or Fed Courts, with a greater preference for Bankruptcy. That stuff is otherwise hard to figure out without a foundational class. Not sure what Commercial Paper is about, though.

Commercial paper was on my bar exam. Bankruptcy and fed courts was not. Neither was employer discrimination.

I never took any law school classes with the bar exam in mind, but I probably should have. I had this "duh what?" look when I got to the commercial paper chapter in my bar prep materials.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:16 am

Meh, that's what bar prep is for.

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:20 am

Danger Zone wrote:Meh, that's what bar prep is for.

I took Sports Law as a 3L. Easy A, no regrets.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:26 am

Danger Zone wrote:Meh, that's what bar prep is for.

I took Law and Philosophy as a 3L, so I can't really argue with this.

I wish I had taken Wills and Estates though. That was tougher for me than commercial paper on the bar exam.

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:28 am

JazzOne wrote:I wish I had taken Wills and Estates though. That was tougher for me than commercial paper.
I sat in on one class of Es&Ts during add/drop. Dropped it. Add that to the list of things I do not regret doing.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:30 am

Bedsole wrote:
JazzOne wrote:I wish I had taken Wills and Estates though. That was tougher for me than commercial paper.
I sat in on one class of Es&Ts during add/drop. Dropped it. Add that to the list of things I do not regret doing.

Lol

I passed the bar, so I guess I have no regrets. Law and Art: no regrets!

mr.hands

Postby mr.hands » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:07 am

As others have said, take Fed Courts off the list immeiately. It's a gunner class and definitely too intense for late 3L year. Commercial Paper sounds unbearable.

Bankruptcy could be ok. There are a lot of outlines and supplements for it. On the other hand, Employment discrimination is at least somewhat interesting. Fewer outlines available but your eyes won't glaze over with it. I think it's a tossup between these two

emciosn

Postby emciosn » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:15 am

I vote bankruptcy. Honestly Federal Courts would be a helpful class if you are going in to a federal clerkship but if not it is not worth the headache (you will be competing against a bunch of gunners come test time plus, outside of that, it is a pretty tough class). I think commercial paper is easy and really easy to learn for bar exam purposes. For purposes of your future practice bankruptcy might pay the most dividends in the event a bankruptcy issue ever pops up. Bankruptcy is extremely tough to learn on the fly and a foundation course could be very helpful (full disclosure: I am a BK clerk and I see all sorts of idiots screw things up for their clients because they lack a working knowledge of the bankruptcy code)

towkthi

Postby towkthi » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:58 am

Thank you all this has been very helpful. I knew Fed Courts was a dumb idea (I'm not doing a fed clerkship), and commercial paper sounds like a 3 day a week nap. Bankruptcy makes the most sense. Thanks again.

sidhesadie

Postby sidhesadie » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:16 am

I am a 3L and have taken Employment, Bankruptcy and Fed Cts.

For the love of all that is holy do not take federal courts.

Bankruptcy has been interesting, I rarely fall asleep and I understand it. Employment was fine too.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:29 am

(Did not cop evidence class)

(Civil litigation)

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”