Firm Diversity?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
BluePurgatory

Firm Diversity?

Postby BluePurgatory » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:13 pm

So the word on the street is that being diverse gives you a boost in firm hiring, and I was wondering if the standard for diversity is the same as law school apps. I ask because I'm a sort of borderline candidate; I'm native american but a real small amount (1/64). I'm still a member of the tribe though because they have no blood quanta requirements, so I counted as a URM for law school apps. My question is whether or not firms have the same perspective on "diversity," especially considering I don't look native american at all

brotherdarkness

Re: Firm Diversity?

Postby brotherdarkness » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:29 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TigerDude

Postby TigerDude » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:04 pm

Well congratulations for gaming the system

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:38 pm

That wouldn't be a comment on AA, would it? Because everyone know they're only allowed in the AA thread.

BluePurgatory

Postby BluePurgatory » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:59 pm

TigerDude wrote:Well congratulations for gaming the system
i'm not exploiting some loophole... I'm a part of the tribe and I'm not going to forgo an advantage just because I don't participate in tribe events or look very native american.

hichvichwoh

Postby hichvichwoh » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:20 pm

I would not expect you to get any sort of diversity boost unless you can back it up with some experiences. The only reason firms care about diversity is because some clients also care about diversity. They aren't going to be able to "sell" the fact that one of their associates is 1/64th NA to anyone. This is just my opinion as a 2L, but I did go through OCI as a diversity candidate, and the firm hiring process way more "personal" than the LS admissions process. Diversity isn't a box you can check off, it actually has to be a part of you as a candidate.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”