How competitive are federal government jobs?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Young Marino

How competitive are federal government jobs?

Postby Young Marino » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:26 pm

I'd like to know the answer to this question if anyone has any insight. I think I'd like to pursuit employment in the federal government but I'm not quite sure which agency. DHS stands out the most as of now but that could definitely change. I do have some background serving in the public sector as an interim advisory board secretary/mayoral assistant and have also worked on a few campaigns but would that help me at all in terms of selection of an internship? I know when I get to law school grades is what is really gonna matter but is there anything I could be doing now to help my chances of I even have a chance?

Carlo Von Sexron

Re: How competitive are federal government jobs?

Postby Carlo Von Sexron » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:11 pm

Short answer: In this economy, very very competitive. More so in this era of sequestration, though I do know the Dept of Veterans Affairs just hired a shitload of lawyers to handle a massive backlog of vets' claims. If you even think you've got competitive grades, definitely apply for an agency's attorney honors program.

Young Marino

Postby Young Marino » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:18 pm

Carlo Von Sexron wrote:Short answer: In this economy, very very competitive. More so in this era of sequestration, though I do know the Dept of Veterans Affairs just hired a shitload of lawyers to handle a massive backlog of vets' claims. If you even think you've got competitive grades, definitely apply for an agency's attorney honors program.

Definitely. I'm still a 0L so I'm just snooping at the possibility. As mentioned above, I do have some experience in the public sector. I'm guessing internships and perhaps externships are good ways to go? Would you guys say it's mkre competitive than biglaw or military jag positions?

Carlo Von Sexron

Postby Carlo Von Sexron » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:54 pm

Young Marino wrote:I'm guessing internships and perhaps externships are good ways to go? Would you guys say it's mkre competitive than biglaw or military jag positions?
Gov't internships, as opposed to summer associate with a firm? Hard to say. I did an internship with a major agency, and it probably helped my chances but it wasn't sufficient to actually land the job. I'm not an authority on this, but it is possible to get a gov't job after doing SAs with firms. Again: grades. JAG isn't as competitive, but that comes with its own baggage.

Young Marino

Postby Young Marino » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:05 pm

Carlo Von Sexron wrote:
Young Marino wrote:I'm guessing internships and perhaps externships are good ways to go? Would you guys say it's mkre competitive than biglaw or military jag positions?
Gov't internships, as opposed to summer associate with a firm? Hard to say. I did an internship with a major agency, and it probably helped my chances but it wasn't sufficient to actually land the job. I'm not an authority on this, but it is possible to get a gov't job after doing SAs with firms. Again: grades. JAG isn't as competitive, but that comes with its own baggage.

Thanks for the info. I understand grades are definitely going to make to or break your career before it even starts so I'm trying to mentally prepare as much as possible by reading articles on this site and others, Getting to Maybe and Law School Confidential. I'm pretty much looking at 1L as the most important 9 months of my life thus far so for now, it's just getting as ready as possible over the next 8 months. What would you suggest doing other than getting good grades to help my chances? Is my public sector experience a plus? The school I will be attending also places pretty well in DC if it's worth anything.

Carlo Von Sexron

Postby Carlo Von Sexron » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:18 pm

Well, there are probably threads in this forum and others here with more information on enhancing your employment chances, but here are the basics as I've come to understand them from my own experience and talking with other lawyers.

1. Get on law review if you can.
2. Get published in a law review or journal if you can.
3. Take on a leadership role in whatever extracurricular organizations interest you at your law school. Even better: establish one on your own initiative.
4. Work summer jobs that get you good writing samples.
5. Network. (Get ready to hear that non-fucking-stop from your CSO.)

YMMV.

Young Marino

Postby Young Marino » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:24 pm

Carlo Von Sexron wrote:Well, there are probably threads in this forum and others here with more information on enhancing your employment chances, but here are the basics as I've come to understand them from my own experience and talking with other lawyers.

1. Get on law review if you can.
2. Get published in a law review or journal if you can.
3. Take on a leadership role in whatever extracurricular organizations interest you at your law school. Even better: establish one on your own initiative.
4. Work summer jobs that get you good writing samples.
5. Network. (Get ready to hear that non-fucking-stop from your CSO.)

YMMV.

Pretty much all things I've come to terms with that have to happen. If I don't get on law review I can always be on a secondary journal correct? Granted, not as good as law review but better than nothing. I will approach the subject of starting my own extracurricular group my 2L year which can definitely help with networking. Thanks for all your info.

mod edit: thread locked because 0L in wrong forum

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”