? someone taken patent bar without science bgrnd

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
jgc02a

? someone taken patent bar without science bgrnd

Postby jgc02a » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:18 pm

If there is anyone here that has taken the patent bar and did not originally have a science background, then I'd like to ask you about it. specifically how did you go about getting into category b or c? thanks for the help!!!!!

rinkrat19

Re: ? someone taken patent bar without science bgrnd

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:47 pm

What do you mean "how did you go about getting into cat b or c?" You need to take the classes to fulfill the B requirements, or you do whatever your state requires to take the FE exam and qualify under C (my state required majoring in engineering or getting a certain amount of years of practical engineering design experience).

jgc02a

Postby jgc02a » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:51 pm

I mean exactly what i said. my question pertains to someone that had no engineering or physics or science background. thus, that person would have had to have taken classes at a community college or online or something like that to fall under category b or c. i want to know if they took their classes online and from where so that i could potentially do the same.

jgc02a

Postby jgc02a » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:55 pm

to be clear you can eliminate "c" from my previous post....i dont care about "c", just category "b"...

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:00 pm

jgc02a wrote:I mean exactly what i said. my question pertains to someone that had no engineering or physics or science background. thus, that person would have had to have taken classes at a community college or online or something like that to fall under category b or c. i want to know if they took their classes online and from where so that i could potentially do the same.

The classes have to be taken at an EAC/ABET accredited school, so probably most community colleges won't work unless you then transfer those credits to a real school. Someone might offer online versions, but I bet they're pretty rare (if they exist) because I'm pretty sure a lot of them have a required lab element. You can't just take Chemistry 101, you have to take a chemistry series for engineering/science majors.

TigerDude

Postby TigerDude » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:07 pm

I don't see how an online course would do it, since the Physics/chemistry requirements have to include labs.

jgc02a

Postby jgc02a » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:12 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
jgc02a wrote:I mean exactly what i said. my question pertains to someone that had no engineering or physics or science background. thus, that person would have had to have taken classes at a community college or online or something like that to fall under category b or c. i want to know if they took their classes online and from where so that i could potentially do the same.

The classes have to be taken at an EAC/ABET accredited school, so probably most community colleges won't work unless you then transfer those credits to a real school. Someone might offer online versions, but I bet they're pretty rare (if they exist) because I'm pretty sure a lot of them have a required lab element. You can't just take Chemistry 101, you have to take a chemistry series for engineering/science majors.

Agreed. that's what it looks like to me as well...i am still unsure about online courses.. and definitely don't want to roll the dice, take some, only to have them be rejected..there is a cc here that has an articulation agreement with a bigger school. i think that may actually work.

jgc02a

Postby jgc02a » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:14 pm

another option i was thinking may work would be category b option 4 and just take entry level physics, chemistry, and biology courses....

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:19 pm

jgc02a wrote:another option i was thinking may work would be category b option 4 and just take entry level physics, chemistry, and biology courses....

The classes can't be entry level.

Only physics courses for physics majors will be accepted.

Only courses for science or engineering majors will be accepted.

Only chemistry courses for chemistry majors will be accepted.

Only courses for science or engineering majors will be accepted.

So at my school, for example, science and engineering majors took the 211 series of physics and the 221 series of chemistry. Definitely NOT the 101 or 201 series of either.

jgc02a

Postby jgc02a » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:21 pm

right. those are still low courses though. the kind i want to take!

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:22 pm

jgc02a wrote:right. those are still low courses though. the kind i want to take!

Lol, no. They're GENERAL courses which are prereqs for a lot of later, more specialized science/engineering classes, that's why the numbers are low-ish. But believe me, they're not "easy."

Hipster but Athletic

Postby Hipster but Athletic » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:23 pm

"low" physics doesn't count. it has to be calc based physics. for example, I took non-calc based physics, as did most premed students who weren't physics majors...it would have counted for med school, but it does not count for patent bar.

jgc02a

Postby jgc02a » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:27 pm

Hipster but Athletic wrote:"low" physics doesn't count. it has to be calc based physics. for example, I took non-calc based physics, as did most premed students who weren't physics majors...it would have counted for med school, but it does not count for patent bar.

right. the classes must be required for the applicable degree. so phsyics majors wouldnt be taking physics non-calc.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:29 pm

jgc02a wrote:
Hipster but Athletic wrote:"low" physics doesn't count. it has to be calc based physics. for example, I took non-calc based physics, as did most premed students who weren't physics majors...it would have counted for med school, but it does not count for patent bar.

right. the classes must be required for the applicable degree. so phsyics majors wouldnt be taking physics non-calc.

...okay? How does that make the Cat B qualifying chemistry and physics classes "low"? (Hint: it doesn't.)

Have you even actually read the USPTO Cat B requirements? http://www.uspto.gov/ip/boards/oed/grb.pdf

jgc02a

Postby jgc02a » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:31 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
jgc02a wrote:

...okay? How does that make the Cat B qualifying chemistry and physics classes "low"? (Hint: it doesn't.)

Have you even actually read the USPTO Cat B requirements? http://www.uspto.gov/ip/boards/oed/grb.pdf

what is your definition of low? I am talking low in the sense that in the scheme of say a physics degree, physics 201 is lower than the physics classes one would take senior year right? I have the Cat B reqs in front of me now.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:35 pm

jgc02a wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
jgc02a wrote:

what is your definition of low? I am talking low in the sense that in the scheme of say a physics degree, physics 201 is lower than the physics classes one would take senior year right? I have the Cat B reqs in front of me now.

Like I said, it's only a low-numbered class because it's general physics or chemistry, not more a specialized upper-level course like "environmental chemistry" or "bioanalytical chemistry".
General =/= Easy

jgc02a

Postby jgc02a » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:38 pm

ok so now we are on the same page. right on.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:41 pm

jgc02a wrote:ok so now we are on the same page. right on.

Aside from the fact that you seem to think that fulfilling half of the credit requirements of an engineering or science degree in your spare time will be a doddle...sure.

jgc02a

Postby jgc02a » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:46 pm

thanks for the input cuz

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”