Should I skip this Clinic?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
BluePurgatory

Should I skip this Clinic?

Postby BluePurgatory » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:25 pm

So I'm signed up to go to a clinic tonight, but I found out it's basically just going around with a clipboard asking homeless people if they have legal problems that I can take to a lawyer and let him solve. I really don't want to do it, especially because I'm also trying to write a memo, and would like to do that instead. Should I just bail?

hephaestus

Re: Should I skip this Clinic?

Postby hephaestus » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:29 pm

Unless its for a clinic you are getting credit for then bail.

BluePurgatory

Postby BluePurgatory » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:34 pm

No, there's no credit involved at all. I normally don't give a shit about things like this, but I have a weird paranoia ever since someone told me about the character and fitness test they do before you can sit for the bar.

stewie27

Postby stewie27 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:57 pm

Are people counting on you to be there? If so, doesn't seem like a cool move to just not show up.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:06 pm

stewie27 wrote:Are people counting on you to be there? If so, doesn't seem like a cool move to just not show up.

True, but if its one of those things where all students are invited to go, its not necessary. If OP specifically told them he was going to be there, its a different story. But the bottom line is for 1L grades > everything else.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:29 am

BluePurgatory wrote:No, there's no credit involved at all. I normally don't give a shit about things like this, but I have a weird paranoia ever since someone told me about the character and fitness test they do before you can sit for the bar.

That's not what the character and fitness part of the bar is worried about.

Lockfast

Postby Lockfast » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:54 pm

Depends on if you're a 1L or not and whether you've made a commitment.

In some smaller bars, reputation is everything. Quoting Superbad, "people don't forget." If you haven't made a commitment and you're a 1L, fuck it, grades > everything.

apollo2015

Postby apollo2015 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:57 pm

One night of Clinic work won't affect your grades, so I wouldn't freak out about that. The Clinic sounds unpleasant though, so I would avoid it on that basis. I did a similar pro-bono opportunity once for a few hours. I loathed it. If you promised someone that you'd be there, however, just suck it up and go through with it. As a member of the legal profession, your reputation for truthfulness and reliability is crucial.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”