Does the bar check all your LS applications?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
PBJones

Does the bar check all your LS applications?

Postby PBJones » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:16 pm

(As opposed to just checking the app of the school you got in to/are attending.)

LexLeon

Re: Does the bar check all your LS applications?

Postby LexLeon » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:46 pm

What evidence is there to suggest a bar association would check any of your law school applications?

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:28 pm

When you apply to the bar, yes, states can check your law school application to make sure that you disclosed everything in your LS app that you were required to disclose (and also that you disclose on your bar app everything that you disclosed on your LS app). I don't know the answer to the original question, but people can get in trouble if their bar app doesn't match their bar app. (I think it's just the school you attend, but again, I don't know for certain.)

PBJones

Postby PBJones » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:43 pm

BUMP for pure self-interest.

UnicornHunter

Postby UnicornHunter » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:55 pm

You're only required to tell the bar association what law schools you attended, not which ones you applied, so it seems highly unlikely (also, schools would have to retain tens of thousands of applications if they had to save every app they received.) However, how could this possibly matter? Are you planning on lying on some applications and not others?

brotherdarkness

Postby brotherdarkness » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:57 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

LexLeon

Postby LexLeon » Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:12 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:When you apply to the bar, yes, states can check your law school application to make sure that you disclosed everything in your LS app that you were required to disclose (and also that you disclose on your bar app everything that you disclosed on your LS app). I don't know the answer to the original question, but people can get in trouble if their bar app doesn't match their bar app. (I think it's just the school you attend, but again, I don't know for certain.)

(Seems like you might've made a slight error when you said "their bar app doesn't match their bar app." I do understand what you mean, anyway.)

Sounds plausible. But, uh, evidence to support your proposition?

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:19 am

LexLeon wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:When you apply to the bar, yes, states can check your law school application to make sure that you disclosed everything in your LS app that you were required to disclose (and also that you disclose on your bar app everything that you disclosed on your LS app). I don't know the answer to the original question, but people can get in trouble if their bar app doesn't match their bar app. (I think it's just the school you attend, but again, I don't know for certain.)

(Seems like you might've made a slight error when you said "their bar app doesn't match their bar app." I do understand what you mean, anyway.)

It's common knowledge

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:21 am

Clearly wrote:
LexLeon wrote:

It's common knowledge

Maybe if he hopes really really hard, it won't be true.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:07 am

Clearly wrote:
LexLeon wrote:

It's common knowledge

Yup, error, and yup, common knowledge. It's why there are regularly threads here about people figuring out if they need to amend their LS application because of X event that they forgot to disclose on their LS app and the bar is approaching. But if you want additional evidence, there's this:

Keep complete copies of all law school application records throughout the admission cycle and law school, as some state bar associations inquire about the law school admission records of those seeking admission to the bar.
posted here: http://www.lsac.org/jd/applying-to-law-school/

Also, this:
A copy of your law school application may be requested by the Bar
posted here: http://law.wm.edu/academics/howto/prepa ... /index.php

And this:
Student records, including law school applications, may be reviewed by the Board of Law Examiners as part of the Character and Fitness evaluation process. Inconsistencies between the information disclosed on one’s law school application and his or her bar application may subject the applicant to further scrutiny, and require an amendment to his or her law school application.
posted here: http://law.unlv.edu/prospective-student ... er-fitness.

(That seemed sufficient for 5 minutes' googling.)

LexLeon

Postby LexLeon » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:54 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Clearly wrote:
LexLeon wrote:

It's common knowledge

Yup, error, and yup, common knowledge. It's why there are regularly threads here about people figuring out if they need to amend their LS application because of X event that they forgot to disclose on their LS app and the bar is approaching. But if you want additional evidence, there's this:

Keep complete copies of all law school application records throughout the admission cycle and law school, as some state bar associations inquire about the law school admission records of those seeking admission to the bar.
posted here: http://www.lsac.org/jd/applying-to-law-school/

Also, this:
A copy of your law school application may be requested by the Bar
posted here: http://law.wm.edu/academics/howto/prepa ... /index.php

And this:
Student records, including law school applications, may be reviewed by the Board of Law Examiners as part of the Character and Fitness evaluation process. Inconsistencies between the information disclosed on one’s law school application and his or her bar application may subject the applicant to further scrutiny, and require an amendment to his or her law school application.
posted here: http://law.unlv.edu/prospective-student ... er-fitness.

(That seemed sufficient for 5 minutes' googling.)

That's good evidence! Thank you for sharing.

The proposition did seem like common knowledge--but, I realized, I had never seen proof of it (or spent the 5 minutes to Google).

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”