Choosing Electives? Easy classes? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
ghostowl

New

Choosing Electives? Easy classes?

Post by ghostowl » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:57 am

Hey, so our school lets us choose 1 elective for Spring semester: Intelluctual property, Family law, Evidence, International Law, Adminstrative Law, etc.

Is it wise to choose 1 class for Spring Semester class that is relatively "easy" (even tho all classes are curved) so that they can take the workload off of your other 1L classes so you try to get good grades 1L year?

Also, what electives did you guys find "easy" (for example, most people would say they found torts easier than other 1L classes even though they were all curved)

I'm was thinking about doing business administration because I want to go transactional, but now I'm re-thinking into putting a filler class to get my 1L grades up

Totalimmortal

New

Re: Choosing Electives? Easy classes?

Post by Totalimmortal » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:28 pm

ghostowl wrote:Hey, so our school lets us choose 1 elective for Spring semester: Intelluctual property, Family law, Evidence, International Law, Adminstrative Law, etc.

Is it wise to choose 1 class for Spring Semester class that is relatively "easy" (even tho all classes are curved) so that they can take the workload off of your other 1L classes so you try to get good grades 1L year?

Also, what electives did you guys find "easy" (for example, most people would say they found torts easier than other 1L classes even though they were all curved)

I'm was thinking about doing business administration because I want to go transactional, but now I'm re-thinking into putting a filler class to get my 1L grades up
Don't do it. 1L grades > all.

Lockfast

New

Post by Lockfast » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:43 pm

A basic, substantive, common law course will be easier than everything else.

TTRansfer

Gold

Post by TTRansfer » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:09 pm

Can you do a bullshit paper seminar class or are you limited to a certain amount of classes? Do the least amount of work humanly possible.

ghostowl

New

Post by ghostowl » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:18 am

TTRansfer wrote:Can you do a bullshit paper seminar class or are you limited to a certain amount of classes? Do the least amount of work humanly possible.
I think there are paper seminar classes, but I think all classes are curved so paper or exam, they're both going to require a lot of work

The one thing I feel I hate for papers, is that it's way more subjective than actual exams, because even essay exams have grading ruberic and elements...I feel, with papers, they can simply take off more because they don't like your writing style
Lockfast wrote:A basic, substantive, common law course will be easier than everything else.
can u provide any examples?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ghostowl

New

Post by ghostowl » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:19 am

I heard Family Law was pretty easy in my school, but I don't want employers to ask me why I took Family Law when it has nothing to do with what I want to do (transactional)

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:58 am

The difficulty of a class depends almost entirely on the prof. You need to get advice from 2Ls and 3Ls at your school.

TTRansfer

Gold

Post by TTRansfer » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:58 am

ghostowl wrote:I heard Family Law was pretty easy in my school, but I don't want employers to ask me why I took Family Law when it has nothing to do with what I want to do (transactional)
All you have to do is say someone recommended you take it for the bar. Problem solved.

TTRansfer

Gold

Post by TTRansfer » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:59 am

rinkrat19 wrote:The difficulty of a class depends almost entirely on the prof. You need to get advice from 2Ls and 3Ls at your school.
Pretty much this. Find out what class requires the least amount of work and take it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Carlo Von Sexron

Bronze

Post by Carlo Von Sexron » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:47 pm

TTRansfer wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:The difficulty of a class depends almost entirely on the prof. You need to get advice from 2Ls and 3Ls at your school.
Pretty much this. Find out what class requires the least amount of work and take it.
Yep. But all other things being equal -- and if the OP has no preference among the classes he listed -- I'd say avoid administrative law and IP. The law there's too convoluted if you're goal is to spend the least amount of time studying. Just my opinion, though.

ghostowl

New

Post by ghostowl » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:28 pm

Thanks guys. I just dropped Business Associations and added Family law (Rumors from my classmates Family law is "easy" class)

If I'm going patent(IP) / transactional, there are certain electives that should be taken in my school. Does having 1 filler class allow me to still get what I want?

TTRansfer

Gold

Post by TTRansfer » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:40 pm

I don't see why not. You'll have plenty of time to do what you want electives-wise. Just work on getting grades.

Devlin

Silver

Post by Devlin » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:15 pm

If you want easy, stay away from Evidence out of the listed class. I would guess Family Law would be the easiest. But again, you take the professor not the class. Talk to a 2L or 3L at your school.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”