JD - Energy Law Credential Question Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
whatsEwingdoing

New

JD - Energy Law Credential Question

Post by whatsEwingdoing » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:44 pm

I'm at a TT, that has a growing Energy Law certification program. I'm a 1L, and I'm wondering if, since I would highly PREFER to do energy litigation, does my undergrad degree matter? (Political Science and History) I know, I know, "don't focus on only one path for law school" comments apply. Should I take summer classes to obtain an environmental science degree in addition to my JD, or will the JD and energy cert suffice? Thank you all, Ryan.

Gorki

Silver

Re: JD - Energy Law Credential Question

Post by Gorki » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:04 pm

Never heard of such a thing before. I would spend your summer interning for a firm that litigates energy-related disputes, and spend your limited free time in 1L networking with attorneys in this area or do a job shadow.

"Energy law" also seems pretty broad to me. Do you want to work in-house at Exxon-Mobil, or do lobby stuff for green energy, or work for greenpeace? I mean these are questions you seriously need to ask. If you are going business-side I do not see any certification being a big deal and would just work on grades, grades, grades, all of 1L as this path tends is much more BIGLAW-esque than public interest.

whatsEwingdoing

New

Post by whatsEwingdoing » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:34 pm

Alright thank you for the insight. Pardon me for being vague. When I say energy law I mean oil and gas work. I am by no means whatsoever an environmentalist :lol:

BeenDidThat

Silver

Post by BeenDidThat » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:28 am

whatsEwingdoing wrote:I'm at a TT, that has a growing Energy Law certification program. I'm a 1L, and I'm wondering if, since I would highly PREFER to do energy litigation, does my undergrad degree matter? (Political Science and History) I know, I know, "don't focus on only one path for law school" comments apply. Should I take summer classes to obtain an environmental science degree in addition to my JD, or will the JD and energy cert suffice? Thank you all, Ryan.
You would be insane to get a BA while getting a JD, if that's what you're asking.

whatsEwingdoing

New

Post by whatsEwingdoing » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:00 am

That would be exactly what I was asking haha. BA in the summer and JD during the semester.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BeautifulSW

Silver

Post by BeautifulSW » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:10 pm

I don't know what O&G jobs look like in BigLaw but there is significant SmallLaw O&G on the ground in Texas, New Mexico and other places and it can pay obscenely well. For that kind of work, your UG doesn't matter at all. I would take administrative law, O&G if your school offers it, and every real property course you can. If you are truly interested in Energy Law from a policy standpoint, no harm in doing the certificate but right now, if you are willing to go there and not just hang out with the Big Boys in Houston the work is there and there's plenty of money to go around.

Of course, you can ALSO make six figures as a diesel mechanic in the oil patch so if all you care about is the money, you don't need any degree at all!

whatsEwingdoing

New

Post by whatsEwingdoing » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:05 pm

BeautifulSW wrote:I don't know what O&G jobs look like in BigLaw but there is significant SmallLaw O&G on the ground in Texas, New Mexico and other places and it can pay obscenely well. For that kind of work, your UG doesn't matter at all. I would take administrative law, O&G if your school offers it, and every real property course you can. If you are truly interested in Energy Law from a policy standpoint, no harm in doing the certificate but right now, if you are willing to go there and not just hang out with the Big Boys in Houston the work is there and there's plenty of money to go around.

Of course, you can ALSO make six figures as a diesel mechanic in the oil patch so if all you care about is the money, you don't need any degree at all!
Eh, I'm already in law school so I would prefer to obtain employment where I could wear a tie... But all the same, thank you for the advice. I'll drop the BA approach. Real property and O&G classes it is.

jamman

New

Post by jamman » Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:57 pm

From my experience, related undergrad is a bonus in the energy law world. In other words, it can help you, but wont hurt you. Take law school courses that deal with government, economics, finance, etc. Take classes where you can write your final paper on any topic and write about energy.

PM me if you have questions. I'm going into my second year as an energy lawyer. Always willing to help law students trying to get into energy.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”