Contemplating Withdrawing

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
josephgt513

Contemplating Withdrawing

Postby josephgt513 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:14 pm

I am contemplating withdrawing from a T3 law school primarily for personal reasons. I am a 1L, in my first semester and am not sure if I should withdraw or wait for my grades to be posted and possibly get dismissed. The past few weeks I haven't been able to focus at all, and the thought of academic dismissal looms in my mind day after day. I know I want to do law, and I will do law, however I think a year or two off would be good for me. Any suggestions as to my current situation? Any suggestions for reapplying after withdrawing? I have a good scholarship at my school but Ive never been too worried about the money, I can always make that back in time. I simply feel as if I've messed up so far and havent really gotten into my studies as I wouldve liked. Anything helps, thanks posters.

stillwater

Re: Contemplating Withdrawing

Postby stillwater » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:28 pm

josephgt513 wrote:I am contemplating withdrawing from a T3 law school primarily for personal reasons. I am a 1L, in my first semester and am not sure if I should withdraw or wait for my grades to be posted and possibly get dismissed. The past few weeks I haven't been able to focus at all, and the thought of academic dismissal looms in my mind day after day. I know I want to do law, and I will do law, however I think a year or two off would be good for me. Any suggestions as to my current situation? Any suggestions for reapplying after withdrawing? I have a good scholarship at my school but Ive never been too worried about the money, I can always make that back in time. I simply feel as if I've messed up so far and havent really gotten into my studies as I wouldve liked. Anything helps, thanks posters.

maybe take some time off and retake, get out of that TTT. not sure how much money you've sunk so far, can you get any back?

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:37 pm

josephgt513 wrote:I am contemplating withdrawing from a T3 law school primarily for personal reasons. I am a 1L, in my first semester and am not sure if I should withdraw or wait for my grades to be posted and possibly get dismissed. The past few weeks I haven't been able to focus at all, and the thought of academic dismissal looms in my mind day after day. I know I want to do law, and I will do law, however I think a year or two off would be good for me. Any suggestions as to my current situation? Any suggestions for reapplying after withdrawing? I have a good scholarship at my school but Ive never been too worried about the money, I can always make that back in time. I simply feel as if I've messed up so far and havent really gotten into my studies as I wouldve liked. Anything helps, thanks posters.

are you at HYS, or a Third-Tier Law School? This distinction will influence the responses you get. However, I would at least take a leave of absence for the year, if not withdraw now. Talk to your school's counseling department and then financial aid. However, I would strongly suggest you step away from law school for a bit, as it seems that you know and realize that law school is not right for you at this point in your life.

josephgt513

Postby josephgt513 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:47 pm

Only spent $5,000 for first semester, can't get it back but I almost think it would be worth dropping for now, studying in the off time and going in really strong as a fresh start 1L. Additionally, I never really got into group study/didn't talk to anyone so far in the semester and I feel like I've messed up and didn't do this the way I wanted - I just want another shot. I know I can do it. Thinking about going to a different t school away from my hometown (been here my whole life) so I can just start a new. Been in law school for 2 months but I've never really felt like a law student... I want to feel that badly.

josephgt513

Postby josephgt513 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:49 pm

And I'm at tier 3, no hys.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:49 pm

josephgt513 wrote:Only spent $5,000 for first semester, can't get it back but I almost think it would be worth dropping for now, studying in the off time and going in really strong as a fresh start 1L. Additionally, I never really got into group study/didn't talk to anyone so far in the semester and I feel like I've messed up and didn't do this the way I wanted - I just want another shot. I know I can do it. Thinking about going to a different t school away from my hometown (been here my whole life) so I can just start a new. Been in law school for 2 months but I've never really felt like a law student... I want to feel that badly.

Why do you think it would be different at another school?

josephgt513

Postby josephgt513 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:59 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
josephgt513 wrote:Only spent $5,000 for first semester, can't get it back but I almost think it would be worth dropping for now, studying in the off time and going in really strong as a fresh start 1L. Additionally, I never really got into group study/didn't talk to anyone so far in the semester and I feel like I've messed up and didn't do this the way I wanted - I just want another shot. I know I can do it. Thinking about going to a different t school away from my hometown (been here my whole life) so I can just start a new. Been in law school for 2 months but I've never really felt like a law student... I want to feel that badly.

Why do you think it would be different at another school?

I cant say for certain it would (I have an uncle who dropped out twice and never finished a first semester) but I think if i moved away and got with a group of people that it would change the circumstances.. I'd like to live with another 1L whose going through the same stuff (right now I live alone and end up going home to see my family more than anything - cant get stuff done like that). Being in a different city I think would help me realize what I was actually there for.. but then again i am simply guessing at this point..

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:01 pm

To be honest, I don't think you should rely on external circumstances to make you do something.

soj

Postby soj » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:13 pm

if you're dropping out just to move to another city to go to a comparable school and get much deeper in debt (i'm guessing you're saving in rent by living with family now), don't. if you're gonna get a job, retake the lsat, and go to a school with better opportunities, i think it's a good idea.

living at home is not the reason you can't focus. you can't focus because you find law school boring. you're in good company there, but it's not gonna change because you moved to a different city.

also, it's really unlikely the school will dismiss you. they'll just reduce your scholarship and hope you'll keep paying tuition.

resilience99

Postby resilience99 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:13 pm

I'm a 1L, and I also was wondering if I started the semester the wrong way, with not much attention to detail; however, a professor told me that whatever short comings you had during the first half of the semester can be overcome in these next few weeks before finals. Not sure if it is true, but I would create a good schedule and stick with it. The next month and a half are very crucial to success on finals. You still have a chance to make amends.

soj

Postby soj » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:14 pm

resilience99 wrote:I'm a 1L, and I also was wondering if I started the semester the wrong way, with not much attention to detail; however, a professor told me that whatever short comings you had during the first half of the semester can be overcome in these next few weeks before finals. Not sure if it is true, but I would create a good schedule and stick with it. The next month and a half are very crucial to success on finals. You still have a chance to make amends.

absolutely true.

josephgt513

Postby josephgt513 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:21 pm

soj wrote:if you're dropping out just to move to another city to go to a comparable school and get much deeper in debt (i'm guessing you're saving in rent by living with family now), don't. if you're gonna get a job, retake the lsat, and go to a school with better opportunities, i think it's a good idea.

living at home is not the reason you can't focus. you can't focus because you find law school boring. you're in good company there, but it's not gonna change because you moved to a different city.

also, it's really unlikely the school will dismiss you. they'll just reduce your scholarship and hope you'll keep paying tuition.

Im sure this is typical 1L wallowing but I dont think ive really gotten into any of my materials yet (maybe it is boring.. i say i enjoy it but do i really?). I read the material and forget what I've read, dont try too hard to figure it out, or i simply dont understand what the hell is going on... I dont want to not have a chance to ever go to law school again through a dismissal (although you can get back in after 2 years and a 505), but I just think the time wasnt 'now' even though i've made the decision to attend

josephgt513

Postby josephgt513 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:24 pm

resilience99 wrote:I'm a 1L, and I also was wondering if I started the semester the wrong way, with not much attention to detail; however, a professor told me that whatever short comings you had during the first half of the semester can be overcome in these next few weeks before finals. Not sure if it is true, but I would create a good schedule and stick with it. The next month and a half are very crucial to success on finals. You still have a chance to make amends.

I second that, absolutely true and I've thought about the idea immensely. Then, out of the corner of my mind, comes academic dismissal and I freak... It's like I cant even look at a damn casebook without thinking about finals and academic dismissal.. I have completely mind f$%^*ed myself

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:26 pm

i just wanted to step in for a quick public service announcement: no 1L has any clue, whatsoever, as to what's going on. so feeling disoriented and not seeing the big picture is normal. however, if oyu are just sitting around, rubbing 2 potatoes together, then that's something else entirely.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:27 pm

I would drop out. From reading what you've posted, your head does not seem to be in a good place to succeed in law school. You need to be totally focused on studying law now, and your posts make me think that you aren't sure about law school right now/are ready to dedicate yourself to it. For those reasons, Id drop now and use the time to study for the LSAT/ reassess what you want to do, etc.. ( im going to let someone else discuss the merits of what school to attend)

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:27 pm

stillwater wrote:i just wanted to step in for a quick public service announcement: no 1L has any clue, whatsoever, as to what's going on. so feeling disoriented and not seeing the big picture is normal. however, if oyu are just sitting around, rubbing 2 potatoes together, then that's something else entirely.

Plus this X 1000 and 1

soj

Postby soj » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:30 pm

if a t3 school dismisses you because your grades suck, i would be hugely surprised and impressed. releasing a student whom in all likelihood no one will hire for a legal job is the conscientious thing to do, but too few schools are willing to do it because students are cash cows.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:31 pm

soj wrote:if a t3 school dismisses you because your grades suck, i would be hugely surprised and impressed. releasing a student whom in all likelihood no one will hire for a legal job is the conscientious thing to do, but too few schools are willing to do it because students are cash cows.

i thought TTTs were the only schools that failed people on the curve

soj

Postby soj » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:35 pm

stillwater wrote:
soj wrote:if a t3 school dismisses you because your grades suck, i would be hugely surprised and impressed. releasing a student whom in all likelihood no one will hire for a legal job is the conscientious thing to do, but too few schools are willing to do it because students are cash cows.

i thought TTTs were the only schools that failed people on the curve

if that's the case, i didn't give them enough credit.

to get back on topic, though, stop worrying about failing out of school, op. trust me, if your grades are low enough to fail out, in the long run you'll be glad you left law school. worry about doing well enough to get a job.

josephgt513

Postby josephgt513 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:37 pm

That's another thing. I've had my eye on law school for half of my life and all I need to do is get through it and there's a job waiting for me (my dad's office). Ive always said i wanted to be a lawyer, but with some hesitation... I am now questioning that past hesitation as maybe 1) Im not meant for this or 2) i need to find out if I truly want this. Time off might be the only way, because I can say with certainty I havent given my best on much that I've done these past 2 months as a 1L

ph14

Postby ph14 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:41 pm

I would withdraw rather than even risk getting academically dismissed. If you withdraw, you might hurt yourself a little, but you keep the door open for a successful legal career. If you get academically dismissed, I would think that it would be very difficult to have a successful legal career.

EtherOne

Postby EtherOne » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:42 pm

josephgt513 wrote:

That's another thing. I've had my eye on law school for half of my life and all I need to do is get through it and there's a job waiting for me (my dad's office). Ive always said i wanted to be a lawyer, but with some hesitation... I am now questioning that past hesitation as maybe 1) Im not meant for this or 2) i need to find out if I truly want this. Time off might be the only way, because I can say with certainty I havent given my best on much that I've done these past 2 months as a 1L

As many have said here, the first 2 months of 1L are not important. In fact, you might be in a little bit of an advantage since you will have more energy and will be able to focus on the latter part of the semester. Also, a good outline is probably the most important part of the process. Get one, and supplement it with your notes. Do this, and you will be fine.

soj

Postby soj » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:42 pm

don't drop out. just buckle down and study hard enough to graduate, and enjoy your job. law school is very different from practicing as a lawyer. you might be a shitty law student but a great lawyer.

if you truly think you're in danger of getting academically dismissed, or if you want time off, take a leave of absence and do something worthwhile, and then return if you ever feel ready. don't drop out and go to another school, forgoing all the savings of living at home and the opportunity to network in a city where it sounds like you'll be working after graduation.

EtherOne

Postby EtherOne » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:44 pm

It seems though, that you really do not want to be in law school. In that case, just withdraw, and move on with your life. Law school is not for everyone. It is probably for a few.

josephgt513

Postby josephgt513 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:53 pm

EtherOne wrote:It seems though, that you really do not want to be in law school. In that case, just withdraw, and move on with your life. Law school is not for everyone. It is probably for a few.

I did want to be and I do, just not right now anymore.. I've stymied myself the past 3 weeks-month ever since midterms and I havent really gotten back on track...part time seems better for me but that too I can't say with certainty considering i've never been a part time law student (but a good work/school balance has always helped me out)

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”