OS X Mavericks + Exam4 Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
WinbyLazy

New

OS X Mavericks + Exam4

Post by WinbyLazy » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:43 pm

I downloaded and installed OS X Mavericks just a few days before my law school sent out an email letting us know that Exam4 us not supported on OS X Mavericks.

Anyone have any problems running Exam4 on Mavericks? I mean, what's the worst that could happen?

lsatextreme

Silver

Re: OS X Mavericks + Exam4

Post by lsatextreme » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:18 pm

I was wondering the same thing. Any brave souls who have tried this already?

WinbyLazy

New

Post by WinbyLazy » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:38 pm

lsatextreme wrote:I was wondering the same thing. Any brave souls who have tried this already?
Got a response from Exam4 (I emailed them after posting this):

Why are new Macintosh/Windows OS updates not supported immediately?

Exam software is a mission-critical application. Compatibility with operating system updates requires detailed review, possible programming modification, and rigorous testing. This takes time. Extegrity initiates the process using developer preview versions typically provided for OS updates. However, Apple and Microsoft have been known to make substantive changes in final consumer releases, necessitating an additional cycle of review and testing after release.

How long will it take?

It depends on what we find. At a minimum, for minor updates with no issues found, it takes a couple of weeks. Major updates take longer to review. If a programming modification is required, even more time will be needed.

What should I do?

It's good practice to check compatibility of software that's crucial to you before updating your computer. If you've already updated, there's still a chance we will announce support. Check back here starting two weeks before your first exam. If not, use the time to make arrangements to borrow a laptop that can run the software.

Void

Silver

Post by Void » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:30 pm

I had the same question when Mountain Lion came out and emailed them, got almost the same response. I would bet on them being ready by exam season in December- they just have to take a cautious stance now to hedge. But I mean they're a software company- if they didn't ensure compatibility pretty efficiently they'd look pretty bad.

mr. wednesday

Bronze

Post by mr. wednesday » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:38 am

Your school almost certainly has loan laptops or a computer lab set up for exams if there is an issue with your laptop, so either way, don't stress about it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:47 am

Void wrote:I had the same question when Mountain Lion came out and emailed them, got almost the same response. I would bet on them being ready by exam season in December- they just have to take a cautious stance now to hedge. But I mean they're a software company- if they didn't ensure compatibility pretty efficiently they'd look pretty bad.
Have you tried using exam4? Or have any real interactions with law school IT?

TLSaul2001

New

Post by TLSaul2001 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:50 pm

SofTest doesn't work with Mavericks either. I'm banking on them fixing it in time for finals or I'm going to have to use my sisters Dell. Yuck.

Void

Silver

Post by Void » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:52 pm

guano wrote:
Void wrote:I had the same question when Mountain Lion came out and emailed them, got almost the same response. I would bet on them being ready by exam season in December- they just have to take a cautious stance now to hedge. But I mean they're a software company- if they didn't ensure compatibility pretty efficiently they'd look pretty bad.
Um what? Yeah- I used exam4 for three years and used it to take two bar exams. And yeah I have talked to law school IT.

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:58 pm

Void wrote:
guano wrote:
Um what? Yeah- I used exam4 for three years and used it to take two bar exams. And yeah I have talked to law school IT.
Then you know they already look pretty bad

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Void

Silver

Post by Void » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:01 pm

guano wrote:
Void wrote:
guano wrote:
Then you know they already look pretty bad
No, not really. Sorry bro

TTRansfer

Gold

Post by TTRansfer » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:29 pm

Exam 4 is such a huge pile of shit.

guinness1547

Silver

Post by guinness1547 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:26 pm

Last edited by guinness1547 on Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:54 pm

I wouldn't bet on it. Last Christmas it wasn't compatible with Windows 8, which had been available even earlier

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

WinbyLazy

New

Post by WinbyLazy » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:06 pm

guinness1547 wrote:Yeah exam4 doesn't work with Maverick at all. I accidentally updated without even thinking about it. Hopefully it's updated by exam time.
Did you give it a try already? (Meaning, with running Exam4.)

Although I don't understand software stuff, at all, I can't imagine Mavericks is all that different or "new" (especially since it's not really a full update).. odd how you can't just force the application to work to Mountain Lion specifications.

guinness1547

Silver

Post by guinness1547 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:28 pm

WinbyLazy wrote:
guinness1547 wrote:Yeah exam4 doesn't work with Maverick at all. I accidentally updated without even thinking about it. Hopefully it's updated by exam time.
Did you give it a try already? (Meaning, with running Exam4.)

Although I don't understand software stuff, at all, I can't imagine Mavericks is all that different or "new" (especially since it's not really a full update).. odd how you can't just force the application to work to Mountain Lion specifications.
Yeah, it pops up with an error.

Jimbogiant

New

Post by Jimbogiant » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:11 pm

Just FYI for anyone still interested in this, I just got an email from one of our deans saying that Exam4 contacted our school and told him that Mavericks WILL be compatible in time for Fall '13 exams. We all got the green-light to upgrade, and I can't imagine this being done on a school-by-school basis.

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:15 pm

Jimbogiant wrote:Just FYI for anyone still interested in this, I just got an email from one of our deans saying that Exam4 contacted our school and told him that Mavericks WILL be compatible in time for Fall '13 exams. We all got the green-light to upgrade, and I can't imagine this being done on a school-by-school basis.
Yep. Also compatibility for Windows 8.1.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TTRansfer

Gold

Post by TTRansfer » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:13 pm

Great news. Although I'm going to hold off upgrading for now.

Lockfast

New

Post by Lockfast » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:26 am

Jimbogiant wrote:Just FYI for anyone still interested in this, I just got an email from one of our deans saying that Exam4 contacted our school and told him that Mavericks WILL be compatible in time for Fall '13 exams. We all got the green-light to upgrade, and I can't imagine this being done on a school-by-school basis.
I'm curious to see what their process is like. Although I have ZERO experience with software development and what not.. how hard can it be?

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:38 am

At my school we've been warned that there is no guarantee Mavericks will be supported by exams and that we should avoid upgrading.
Given what I've seen of Exam4 in the past, I'm going to err on the side of caution.

Lockfast

New

Post by Lockfast » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:05 am

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:48 am

Its so absurd. Examsoft has figured out Mavericks already why can't the people at Exam 4?

Lazy?

TTRansfer

Gold

Post by TTRansfer » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:29 pm

Mavericks now listed as supported. :)

8.1 Windows also.

Lockfast

New

Post by Lockfast » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:36 pm

TTRansfer wrote:Mavericks now listed as supported. :)

8.1 Windows also.
Exam4 staff: "Oh, that's cool, let's just update this the day after Lockfast post's so he looks dumb.."

TTRansfer

Gold

Post by TTRansfer » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:40 pm

Lockfast wrote:
TTRansfer wrote:Mavericks now listed as supported. :)

8.1 Windows also.
Exam4 staff: "Oh, that's cool, let's just update this the day after Lockfast post's so he looks dumb.."
:lol:

Here is the link in case anyone needs proof:

http://www.exam4.com/userguide#hardware

"Technical Info & Requirements
Computer hardware and operating system requirements
Exam4 requires a laptop or desktop computer with:
10 MB free hard disk space (a very small amount).
Network connection and/or working USB port (as required by your institution).
A supported operating system:
Windows 8 (excluding Surface Pro)
Windows 8.1 (as of Fall 2013 final exams)
Windows 7
Windows Vista
Apple OS X 10.6 "Snow Leopard" up to…
Apple OS X 10.9 "Mavericks" (current)

Please note that the following operating systems are NOT supported:
Apple Macintosh OS X 10.5 Leopard and earlier
Apple iDevices (iPad, iPhone, etc.)
Microsoft Windows XP and earlier
Microsoft Surface and Surface Pro
Linux
Chromebooks
Virtual operating systems (VMs)"