Dukeminer casebook...Gilbert or Emanuel?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Easy-E

Dukeminer casebook...Gilbert or Emanuel?

Postby Easy-E » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:22 pm

Kinda torn between which of these two supplements I want to grab. Emanuel is keyed to my text, but Gilbert was written by Krier (one of the casebook authors). Anyone have experience with both? They both seem to be pretty well reviewed/recommended. Any way I can determine which would be best for my class, or is it more about how I'd prefer the supp be organized?

Danger Zone

Re: Dukeminer casebook...Gilbert or Emanuel?

Postby Danger Zone » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:28 pm

I had the Dukeminier CB as well and went with Gilbert's. The format is kinda weird (organized like an outline) but I actually thought that made it a lot easier to understand some of the stranger property law concepts (RAP, easements).

Hipster but Athletic

Postby Hipster but Athletic » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:29 pm

I got a B with Emanuel's and all my friends with Gilbert's got A's

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:30 pm

Danger Zone wrote:I had the Dukeminier CB as well and went with Gilbert's. The format is kinda weird (organized like an outline) but I actually thought that made it a lot easier to understand some of the stranger property law concepts (RAP, easements).

Covering easements right now, it's really fun times. Property is my only closed-book exam, so it would suffice to say I'm pretty worried. Did you end up reading it straight through, or just as you outlined?

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:31 pm

I thought that casebook was awful (though it is the dominant property casebook). Its poorly organized, has rambling notes, and is otherwise hard to follow. I would definitely go with Gilbert. Didnt use Emanuel's but Gilbert's definitely helps the casebook make more sense.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:31 pm

Also get the Glannon multiple choice guide. Most people only used the Civ Pro one, but the property one was great.

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:53 pm

ImNoScar wrote:Also get the Glannon multiple choice guide. Most people only used the Civ Pro one, but the property one was great.

I'll take a look at it. Good for things like future interests I imagine?

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:56 pm

emarxnj wrote:
ImNoScar wrote:Also get the Glannon multiple choice guide. Most people only used the Civ Pro one, but the property one was great.

Yes it is good for future interest problems. It is also helpful in practicing the distinction between restrictive covenants and equitable servitudes.

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:59 pm

ImNoScar wrote:
emarxnj wrote:

Yes it is good for future interest problems. It is also helpful in practicing the distinction between restrictive covenants and equitable servitudes.

Just got to that. Like I said, closed-book, so something to drill will be super helpful. Thanks for the tip.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:03 pm

My exam was closed book as well. I only read Gilbert's at the end of the semester when I was outlining. The concepts were pretty fresh in my mind for the exam because I had a lot of "ah ha!" moments as I read Gilbert's. It probably would have been better if I had understood the material prior to the week before finals, but YO1LO.

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:10 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:10 pm

Danger Zone wrote:My exam was closed book as well. I only read Gilbert's at the end of the semester when I was outlining. The concepts were pretty fresh in my mind for the exam because I had a lot of "ah ha!" moments as I read Gilbert's. It probably would have been better if I had understood the material prior to the week before finals, but YO1LO.

Love it.

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:11 pm

Jsa725 wrote:I went with Gilbert's for two (seemingly obvious) reasons: 1) Gilbert's is keyed to the Dukeminier CB, and 2) James Krier authored both. Did well.

Y'know the reason I was even considering Emanuel was because it's keyed to the Duke, but obviously so is Gilberts in this case. I think I'm gonna pull the trigger. Thanks.

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:17 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

gnuwheels

Postby gnuwheels » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:21 pm

Dukeminier has been dead for 10 years and Krier has been the primary author of the textbook since then.

Krier also writes the Gilberts.

Therefore: Gilberts for the win.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”