Two state bar review pricing?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
gprime

Two state bar review pricing?

Postby gprime » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:36 am

My plan right now is to take the IL bar in July, and the MO bar sometime shortly thereafter, possibly as early as February 2015. Now, I figure that I would purchase bar review courses for both, and that by getting them from the same provider, I would get the best price. Thing is, the bar reps at my school are clearly not very well trained because none of them can give me an answer about pricing for individuals who have "graduated" from a previous bar course with said company, and are looking to purchase a second.

I figure with the number of overachievers here, there must be multiple bar reps on these boards. Perhaps they, or anybody recently experiencing this, can shed some light? Only interested in Barbri, Kaplan, and Themis.

Bikeflip

Re: Two state bar review pricing?

Postby Bikeflip » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:20 pm

gprime wrote:My plan right now is to take the IL bar in July, and the MO bar sometime shortly thereafter, possibly as early as February 2015. Now, I figure that I would purchase bar review courses for both, and that by getting them from the same provider, I would get the best price. Thing is, the bar reps at my school are clearly not very well trained because none of them can give me an answer about pricing for individuals who have "graduated" from a previous bar course with said company, and are looking to purchase a second.

I figure with the number of overachievers here, there must be multiple bar reps on these boards. Perhaps they, or anybody recently experiencing this, can shed some light? Only interested in Barbri, Kaplan, and Themis.

Why 2 bar courses? Why not just IL?
IL has the MBE, MEE, MPT and IL specific questions. MO is a UBE state, which means they'll have the MBE, MEE and MPT.

Glock

Re: Two state bar review pricing?

Postby Glock » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:56 pm

As noted above just take the IL course and reuse your materials for the UBE in MO. No reason to pay for 2.

Also, you should be able to transfer your MBE from IL to MO. Must transfer within 19 months. Make that happen because your life will be a lot easier if you do---its actually worth accelerating your plans if needed. It will eliminate the need to waste hours practicing the MBE.

Focus like a madman on the MBE in IL because you are getting a twofer and a good score will make your life much easier with your study load on the MO exam. First, it eliminates the need to do MBE practice. Second, it greatly reduces the need to study MBE topics (which can be on essays but you will have them down cold). Third, if you get a good MBE score and know about it in advance it reduces your need to study MO essays because you won't need a good grade on them to pass. I got a monster MBE and now I literally do not have to study at all for the jurisdiction I am transferring the score into. I just need to be above the bottom 1% on the essays to pass. My plan in my second jurisdiction is to study essay topics for about 1 day and then just to roll in and take the test without ever looking at state-specific stuff.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”