NYT/Justice Roberts: Law Review is stupid pointless bullshit

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
A. Nony Mouse

Re: NYT/Justice Roberts: Law Review is stupid pointless bullshit

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:45 pm

apollo2015 wrote:
Roberts wrote:Pick up a copy of any law review that you see and the first article is likely to be, you know, the influence of Immanuel Kant on evidentiary approaches in 18th century Bulgaria, or something, which I’m sure was of great interest to the academic that wrote it, but isn’t of much help to the bar.

I am not sure why Roberts thinks that academics should have to usually cater to the interests of practicing attorneys. Law programs do not claim to be vocational schools.

They're professional schools. They train you to practice in a profession, so in that respect, they are vocational schools. They just happen to be staffed by academics (who do not train students to be academics).

anon919

Postby anon919 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:24 pm

soj wrote:far be it from me to deny that student editors are incompetent, but it doesn't sit well with me when tenured law professors, who have the power but not the talent or motivation to change the system, call us incompetent. nearly all law journal submissions are poorly written, shoddily researched, borderline intellectually dishonest, and not that fucking interesting or impactful. i used to think the low quality was due to being spoiled by student editors who do all the work, but i'm starting to think law professors are generally incapable of scholarship in any setting.

Tell 'em.

Anonymous Associate

Postby Anonymous Associate » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:00 pm

romothesavior wrote:
shepdawg wrote:I hated law review. It's an academic circle jerk.

horriblegb

Postby horriblegb » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:44 pm

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:29 pm

So this means that Roberts is TOTALLY NOT going to throw out every single clerkship application from someone who wasn't on law review, huh?

It's self-perpetuating for the same reason as every other b.s. thing in this profession. If you don't play the game, people take a negative inference from it; either you a) weren't smart enough to make a journal or b) are too lazy or entitled to slog through hundreds of hours of cite checking. Neither one says great things about your promise as a junior law minion.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”