How to support oneself between bar and big law start date?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
BigRob

How to support oneself between bar and big law start date?

Postby BigRob » Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:55 pm

I live in my school's student housing and have to move out shortly after the bar exam in July 2014, but I don't start work until the following October. That's three months until I see my first pay check. I'll need to find an apartment & pay for other living expenses, not to mention whatever a cheap travel vacation might cost.

Is it appropriate to take out student loans to pay for these expenses, or do I have to take an exorbitant private loan? Do firms give advances?

thesealocust

Re: How to support oneself between bar and big law start date?

Postby thesealocust » Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:57 pm

Most biglaw firms give advances or stipends.

haus

Postby haus » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:00 pm

Being homeless is a good life experience, think of this as your chance to partake in it.

Void

Postby Void » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:46 pm

BigRob wrote:not to mention whatever a cheap travel vacation might cost.

Lol

mr. wednesday

Postby mr. wednesday » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:03 pm

Either you get an advance or stipend from your firm or you take out a bar loan. If you are going to be in NYC, you can take a several week vacation somewhere low cost for the price of your August rent, so you may be able to save money by putting your stuff in storage and not moving in to a new apartment until September.

You can also put ~2-4k on credit and pay it back within a month or two of working (since your student loans won't be due for your first few months). Get a new card with a 0% intro rate and pay it off completely before you need to make student loan payments.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”