Living out of a van to avoid student loans

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Void

Re: Living out of a van to avoid student loans

Postby Void » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:19 am

To be clear, nobody on this thread told you that you shouldn't go to law school because you're a single mom- the concern was just about going to Buffalo at all. Even if you can attend for free, you will have a really, REALLY rough time finding a job as a lawyer. We're not saying this to make you feel bad or discourage you- it's just the truth. Check out some of the threads around here like the "Vale of Tears," where top students and graduates from the nation's best law schools can't find work and are moving back in with their parents, etc.

I think we can all appreciate your dream to become a lawyer- most of us share it or have achieved it- just make sure you educate yourself about the realities of law school and the legal employment market.

Addressing your concern about being a single mom, I know lots of folks who were able to juggle law school and parenting. It's very difficult, but definitely possible.

shepdawg

Postby shepdawg » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:56 am

Get a man first. You'll need help, and you're going to be a worse parent. I hardly saw my preschooler during law school, and I imagine she would have become a little hellion if my wife wasn't in the picture.

guano

Postby guano » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:45 am

Dreamer_02 wrote:I just want to live out my dream

Time to wake up. Don't let your dream turn into a nightmare.
I have two little kids and can tell you from experience that you can't keep up with your classmates - and I had help and no job.

Your classmates with no responsibilities will be able to study harder and longer. That means you'll struggle just to be at median. Median at UB means no job

shepdawg wrote:Get a man first. You'll need help, and you're going to be a worse parent. I hardly saw my preschooler during law school, and I imagine she would have become a little hellion if my wife wasn't in the picture.
fuck you

ganja

Postby ganja » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:58 am

guano wrote:
Dreamer_02 wrote:I just want to live out my dream

Time to wake up. Don't let your dream turn into a nightmare.
I have two little kids and can tell you from experience that you can't keep up with your classmates - and I had help and no job.

Your classmates with no responsibilities will be able to study harder and longer. That means you'll struggle just to be at median. Median at UB means no job

shepdawg wrote:Get a man first. You'll need help, and you're going to be a worse parent. I hardly saw my preschooler during law school, and I imagine she would have become a little hellion if my wife wasn't in the picture.
fuck you

Lol. Guano, you're a funny guy.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:13 am

shepdawg wrote:Get a man first.

"It's easy, just find someone to care about you and share your life with!"

guano

Postby guano » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:35 am

Danger Zone wrote:
shepdawg wrote:Get a man first.

"It's easy, just find someone to care about you and share your life with!"

XxSpyKEx wrote:you need to find yourself a gold digging trophy wife
Last edited by guano on Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

jack duluoz

Postby jack duluoz » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:40 am

KD35 wrote:Where does he poop if he feels the urge in the middle of the night?

I have to assume that he just shits himself or runs into that Wal-Mart. Stays away from diary, etc. He's obviously a go-getter. He just makes it happen, bro.

Dreamer_02

Postby Dreamer_02 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:53 pm

Void wrote:To be clear, nobody on this thread told you that you shouldn't go to law school because you're a single mom- the concern was just about going to Buffalo at all. Even if you can attend for free, you will have a really, REALLY rough time finding a job as a lawyer. We're not saying this to make you feel bad or discourage you- it's just the truth. Check out some of the threads around here like the "Vale of Tears," where top students and graduates from the nation's best law schools can't find work and are moving back in with their parents, etc.

I think we can all appreciate your dream to become a lawyer- most of us share it or have achieved it- just make sure you educate yourself about the realities of law school and the legal employment market.

Addressing your concern about being a single mom, I know lots of folks who were able to juggle law school and parenting. It's very difficult, but definitely possible.

Where is the tread " vale of tears"?

Void

Postby Void » Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:05 pm

Dreamer_02 wrote:
Void wrote:To be clear, nobody on this thread told you that you shouldn't go to law school because you're a single mom- the concern was just about going to Buffalo at all. Even if you can attend for free, you will have a really, REALLY rough time finding a job as a lawyer. We're not saying this to make you feel bad or discourage you- it's just the truth. Check out some of the threads around here like the "Vale of Tears," where top students and graduates from the nation's best law schools can't find work and are moving back in with their parents, etc.

Where is the tread " vale of tears"?

Here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=192753

Please note that as a 0L (slang around here for someone who is not yet a law student) you aren't supposed to post in that thread, or in the employment forum in general. But there is plenty there for you to read.

brotherdarkness

Postby brotherdarkness » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:08 am

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dogg

Postby Dogg » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:01 am

brotherdarkness wrote:Coincidence? http://www.reddit.com/r/LawSchool/comments/1otep9/you_may_be_a_gunner_but_youll_never_be_a_buy_a/

[img]http://i.imgur.com/prR4yvM.jpg

that looks like a step up from a van
seems cozy

AlanShore

Postby AlanShore » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:15 am

hahahaha my good friend lives out of a van. she's really granola crunchy; i love her but i could never do it. she makes it work and saves a lot of money on rent (rent is high where i am). however, ironically, she has to pay for doggie day care every day. yes, she has a dog with her in the van. hahahahaha.

Dogg

Postby Dogg » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:13 pm

AlanShore wrote:hahahaha my good friend lives out of a van. she's really granola crunchy; i love her but i could never do it. she makes it work and saves a lot of money on rent (rent is high where i am). however, ironically, she has to pay for doggie day care every day. yes, she has a dog with her in the van. hahahahaha.

I feel worse for the dog but lol :shock:

AlanShore

Postby AlanShore » Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:08 pm

Dogg wrote:
AlanShore wrote:hahahaha my good friend lives out of a van. she's really granola crunchy; i love her but i could never do it. she makes it work and saves a lot of money on rent (rent is high where i am). however, ironically, she has to pay for doggie day care every day. yes, she has a dog with her in the van. hahahahaha.

I feel worse for the dog but lol :shock:

yeah... at least he gets to go to day care. also, she parks in a somewhat sketchy area (i think it was one of the top 20 cities for murder rates) and while there are safe parts, too, i think the dog acts as her protection. lol. i love her but she is crazy

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:49 pm

Living in an RV wouldn't be half so bad as living in a van. Not that I'd want to do this, but nice to know there are options.

dowu

Postby dowu » Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:51 pm

This looks like the home of a user by the name of Tom Joad.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:01 pm

dowu wrote:This looks like the home of a user by the name of Tom Joad.

Make up your mind, chickenhead.

dowu

Postby dowu » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:07 pm

Tom Joad wrote:
dowu wrote:This looks like the home of a user by the name of Tom Joad.

Make up your mind, chickenhead.

I'm surprised you remembered that lol

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”