Living out of a van to avoid student loans

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
ganja

Re: Living out of a van to avoid student loans

Postby ganja » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:01 am

KD35 wrote:Where does he poop if he feels the urge in the middle of the night?

He got a small port a potty from bass pro shops for about $100

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:07 am

Tom Joad wrote:
Dogg wrote:
Flips88 wrote:Gonna be fun when this dude has to fill out his bar app and list his addresses.

2013: Van down by the river

RIP Chris Farley

Did he die in a van or something?

Dude, only the best SNL skit in the history of that now-shittastic show.

Matt Foley, graduate, law school.

edit: scooped.

KD35

Postby KD35 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:08 am

ganja wrote:
KD35 wrote:Where does he poop if he feels the urge in the middle of the night?

He got a small port a potty from bass pro shops for about $100

This entire thing screams TTTT.

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:12 am

I agree with the poster above. This has GOT to be on ABL.

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:15 am

superdingle2000 wrote:Your friend is not alone.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/14/educa ... .html?_r=0

NYT Article wrote:Seven and a half years before, when I had enrolled at the University at Buffalo as an undergraduate...

Could person in article and OP's "friend" be the same??

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:34 am

ganja wrote:
guano wrote:
ganja wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:Somebody hit up ATL with this fucking thread.

Law school: yep, it's that bad of a choice.

Hahaha. When you're forced to live out of a fucking vanattending buffalo law you know you've made a terrible decision.

Fixed

Lololol. So is this something any of you would consider doing? He got a half tuition scholly and his parents help him with the rest of tuition so he hasn't taken out any loans. His parents help him out with $40 to live off of each week. The guy was always a tad odd in college but i can kind of see how he might think this is a good idea

I seriously doubt he will be warm enough, but if it works for him, more power to him. I doubt most people would be comfortable enough/happy enough to get through 1L year successfully in such conditions, but there are probably a few people who could do it.

redsox

Postby redsox » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:37 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
ganja wrote:Lololol. So is this something any of you would consider doing? He got a half tuition scholly and his parents help him with the rest of tuition so he hasn't taken out any loans. His parents help him out with $40 to live off of each week. The guy was always a tad odd in college but i can kind of see how he might think this is a good idea

I seriously doubt he will be warm enough, but if it works for him, more power to him. I doubt most people would be comfortable enough/happy enough to get through 1L year successfully in such conditions, but there are probably a few people who could do it.

He might be okay if he lives in the van spring/summer/fall and then rents a room for a few months in the winter. But how is he ever gonna get laid?

Void

Postby Void » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:05 pm

Is there a wizard, or perhaps a dragon, airbrushed on the side of his van? Does he even have mutton chops?

guano

Postby guano » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:33 pm

Void wrote:Is there a wizard, or perhaps a dragon, airbrushed on the side of his van? Does he even have mutton chops?

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:54 pm

Void wrote:Is there a wizard, or perhaps a dragon, airbrushed on the side of his van? Does he even have mutton chops?

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:14 pm

My dad did this in college for 2 years and then spent 2 years living in a one room log cabin he built himself with no running water and no electricity. He was also as high as a kite most of the time though and owned the property where he parked the van and built the cabin. It is definitely doable for the right kind of person, but that kind of person tends to be a nut with 2 pairs of clothes and a complete disregard for hygiene.

guano

Postby guano » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:00 pm

worldtraveler wrote:My dad did this in college for 2 years and then spent 2 years living in a one room log cabin he built himself with no running water and no electricity. He was also as high as a kite most of the time though and owned the property where he parked the van and built the cabin. It is definitely doable for the right kind of person, but that kind of person tends to be a nut with 2 pairs of clothes and a complete disregard for hygiene.

shepdawg

Postby shepdawg » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:06 pm

A guy at CWSL is living out of a small motor home parked right next to the school. He says it forced him to study a lot, so he made law review. He never smelled bad or anything, so hygiene wasn't an issue.

Dreamer_02

Postby Dreamer_02 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:40 pm

I have a question? Does anyone attend Ub and are single parents with a young child?. I wanted to know how the first year would be and it it's possible to do as a single mother of a 4yr old... Everyone is telling me I am setting myself up for failure by trying to go to Ub?

guano

Postby guano » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:56 pm

Dreamer_02 wrote:I have a question? Does anyone attend Ub and are single parents with a young child?. I wanted to know how the first year would be and it it's possible to do as a single mother of a 4yr old... Everyone is telling me I am setting myself up for failure by trying to go to Ub?

Going to law school with a small child isn't anywhere near as problematic as attending UB

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:14 pm

guano wrote:
Dreamer_02 wrote:I have a question? Does anyone attend Ub and are single parents with a young child?. I wanted to know how the first year would be and it it's possible to do as a single mother of a 4yr old... Everyone is telling me I am setting myself up for failure by trying to go to Ub?

Going to law school with a small child isn't anywhere near as problematic as attending UB

TITCR. Seriously.

Dreamer_02

Postby Dreamer_02 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:21 pm

guano wrote:

I want to go to UB for law school.. However I'm confused if it be the correct choice for me, everyone is telling me it's to hard, I'm setting myself up for failure..ect just because I have a 4yr old and I ll have to work to support her

Dreamer_02

Postby Dreamer_02 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:22 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:
guano wrote:

TITCR. Seriously.

Huh?

Void

Postby Void » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:11 pm

Dreamer_02 wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:
guano wrote:

TITCR. Seriously.

Huh?

These guys are trying to tell you that a UB law degree is a bad investment, and they're right. Do some research about the percentage of UB graduates who actually find legal employment after graduation, and how much they actually earn. Compare that with the cost to attend, and ask yourself whether you want to gamble.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=buffalo

Dreamer_02

Postby Dreamer_02 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:58 pm

Going to law school with a small child isn't anywhere near as problematic as attending UB[/quote]

TITCR. Seriously.[/quote]

Huh?[/quote]

These guys are trying to tell you that a UB law degree is a bad investment, and they're right. Do some research about the percentage of UB graduates who actually find legal employment after graduation, and how much they actually earn. Compare that with the cost to attend, and ask yourself whether you want to gamble.
    http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=buffalo[/quote]

I am an eop scholar student.. So I get a tuition fee waiver.. So all I would have to come out
    Pocket would be to pay for books. So I decided I d study to take the LSAT and apply to go to Ub for law school. I was just asking for ppl input on how hard it would be to do being a single parent of a 4yr old. I would also have to work while attending law school.

ganja

Postby ganja » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:01 pm

Dreamer_02 wrote:Going to law school with a small child isn't anywhere near as problematic as attending UB

TITCR. Seriously.[/quote]

Huh?[/quote]

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=buffalo[/quote]

I am an eop scholar student.. So I get a tuition fee waiver.. So all I would have to come out
      Pocket would be to pay for books. So I decided I d study to take the LSAT and apply to go to Ub for law school. I was just asking for ppl input on how hard it would be to do being a single parent of a 4yr old. I would also have to work while attending law school.[/quote]

Working during law school is definitely not recommended

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:13 pm

Dreamer_02, does Buffalo have a part-time program? The ABA states that full-time law school students cannot work more than 20 hours a week, and many law schools place greater restrictions on first-year students. You would be much better off (in the sense of handling full-time school/parenting at the same time) taking out loans to cover your living expenses and not working, because the learning curve for the first year of law school is extremely steep, and yet first-year grades have a disproportionately big impact on your employment prospects (depending in part on what you want to do with a law degree). I am not a parent, but I think being a single parent AND a full-time law student AND working sufficiently to pay cost of living for yourself and your child would be extremely difficult and your grades would suffer, which would make it much harder to get most law jobs out there.

(This is leaving aside entirely the question of whether Buffalo is worth attending, which is a separate but important issue as well.)

Dreamer_02

Postby Dreamer_02 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:21 pm

I was told about the rule that 1st yr student arnt allowed to work more then 20 hrs.. However I was told they can't force your employer to fire you.. So yea I do have to support my daughter some how.. Just having difficulty sticking to a study plan when I am surrounded by ppl telling me not to go to to law school because I am a single mom.. It's my dream to be a lawyer.. That's all I ever wanted to be.. And then I found out I was pregnant .. She is the love of my Life.. Won't change being a mom.. I just want to live out my dream

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:30 pm

I don't think you shouldn't be a lawyer because you're a single mom, but I don't think you should try to work and go to law school full-time. If you're not willing to take out loans (which would be the alternate way to support your daughter), and want to work rather than take out loans, you should find a part-time program. No, a law school can't make your employer fire you, but it can cause problems for you on the school side of things (not that this is as important as just the difficulty of trying to do both at once).

Dreamer_02

Postby Dreamer_02 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:42 pm

Understandable.. I'm just gonna try to get accepted and worry about the rest after.. Thanks for all the advice.. Worst come to worst at least for the first year I n willing to take out loans

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”