Living out of a van to avoid student loans

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
ganja

Living out of a van to avoid student loans

Postby ganja » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:26 am

So a buddy of mine is a 1L at U of Buffalo school of law and during his first semester, he is living out of a van to minimize costs. Lol. At first I found this quite bizarre but he actually makes it work by getting all his work done at the library all day then retiring to his van at night only to sleep. He says "look, I'm here to study and I spend 90% of my time doing that. When I get hungry I just go to my van and heat up some noodles or mac and cheese with a proprane plate and eat out of the pot. For showers, I use the school gym and I travel lightly in terms of clothes. I study an hour and a half away from home so I just go back home for supplies over the weekend when needed." I thought this would be interesting to share with TLSers looking to save a ton of money. It may be unorthodox but I'm sure one can make do!

Void

Re: Living out of a van to avoid student loans

Postby Void » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:27 am

ganja wrote:So a buddy of mine is a 1L at U of Buffalo school of law and during his first semester, he is living out of a van to minimize costs. Lol. At first I found this quite bizarre but he actually makes it work by getting all his work done at the library all day then retiring to his van at night only to sleep. He says "look, I'm here to study and I spend 90% of my time doing that. When I get hungry I just go to my van and heat up some noodles or mac and cheese with a proprane plate and eat out of the pot. For showers, I use the school gym and I travel lightly in terms of clothes. I study an hour and a half away from home so I just go back home for supplies over the weekend when needed." I thought this would be interesting to share with TLSers looking to save a ton of money. It may be unorthodox but I'm sure one can make do!

Where does he park?
Wtf is he planning to do when winter comes to Buffalo?

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:28 am

I thought about this, but internet and hygiene would be a bitch.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:31 am

This sounds suspect, or at least really odd.

ganja

Postby ganja » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:39 am

He says he heats up the propane plate for about 3 min to get it pretty warm in the van. After that he bundles up in 4 or 5 heavy comforters. As for internet, he has a portable device and uses the school gym for showers, brushing teeth, etc. He also says the best place to park is a Wal-Mart parking lot. Preferably one that is open 24-7 in case he needs something. Again, if he is not in class, he is in the library. He only uses the van for sleep, eating and transportation

redsox

Postby redsox » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:42 am

Disappointed in this thread. Was hoping it'd be about a law school grad living in a van, off the grid, to avoid payments on his $250,000 of non-dischargeable loans.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:42 am

Somebody hit up ATL with this fucking thread.

Law school: yep, it's that bad of a choice.

ganja

Postby ganja » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:45 am

Danger Zone wrote:Somebody hit up ATL with this fucking thread.

Hahaha. When you're forced to live out of a fucking van you know you've made a terrible decision.

Void

Postby Void » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:47 am

ganja wrote:He says he heats up the propane plate for about 3 min to get it pretty warm in the van. After that he bundles up in 4 or 5 heavy comforters. As for internet, he has a portable device and uses the school gym for showers, brushing teeth, etc. He also says the best place to park is a Wal-Mart parking lot. Preferably one that is open 24-7 in case he needs something. Again, if he is not in class, he is in the library. He only uses the van for sleep, eating and transportation

I asked about parking because as an idealistic teenager I tried to spend a summer living out of a van and driving across the country. I discovered that it's actually pretty fucking hard to find places to sleep where police/property owners don't hassle you. Even wal-mart asked me to move along a few times.

I don't think your friend exists. Cool thread though, bro.

Balthy

Postby Balthy » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:47 am

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:50 am

I knew a guy that lived in an RV through college, but he was in New Mexico. This was way before Breaking Bad.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:54 am

lol at spending 90% of your waking hours studying and/or doing law school related things.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:57 am

Gonna be fun when this dude has to fill out his bar app and list his addresses.

2013: Van down by the river

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:29 am

ganja wrote:He says he heats up the propane plate for about 3 min to get it pretty warm in the van. After that he bundles up in 4 or 5 heavy comforters. As for internet, he has a portable device and uses the school gym for showers, brushing teeth, etc. He also says the best place to park is a Wal-Mart parking lot. Preferably one that is open 24-7 in case he needs something. Again, if he is not in class, he is in the library. He only uses the van for sleep, eating and transportation

If he's a 1L he hasn't made it through a Buffalo winter yet. Good luck with that.

Dogg

Postby Dogg » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:48 am

Flips88 wrote:Gonna be fun when this dude has to fill out his bar app and list his addresses.

RIP Chris Farley

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:20 am

Dogg wrote:
Flips88 wrote:Gonna be fun when this dude has to fill out his bar app and list his addresses.

RIP Chris Farley

Did he die in a van or something?

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:39 am

redsox wrote:Disappointed in this thread. Was hoping it'd be about a law school grad living in a van, off the grid, to avoid payments on his $250,000 of non-dischargeable loans.

alphagamma

Postby alphagamma » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:21 am

Tom Joad wrote:
Dogg wrote:

RIP Chris Farley

http://www.hulu.com/watch/4183

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:11 am

alphagamma wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:
Dogg wrote:

RIP Chris Farley

lol omg! That is classic. I am a huge Chris Farley fan, but I had never seen that.

heythatslife

Postby heythatslife » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:07 am

Tom Joad wrote:I knew a guy that lived in an RV through college, but he was in New Mexico. This was way before Breaking Bad.

He didn't cook meth?

guano

Postby guano » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:40 am

ganja wrote:

Hahaha. When you're forced to live out of a fucking vanattending buffalo law you know you've made a terrible decision.

Fixed

KeepitKind

Postby KeepitKind » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:09 am

Tom Joad wrote:
alphagamma wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:
Dogg wrote:
RIP Chris Farley

lol omg! That is classic. I am a huge Chris Farley fan, but I had never seen that.

am i being trolled? is this what being trolled feels like?

ganja

Postby ganja » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:24 am

guano wrote:
ganja wrote:

Hahaha. When you're forced to live out of a fucking vanattending buffalo law you know you've made a terrible decision.

Fixed

Lololol. So is this something any of you would consider doing? He got a half tuition scholly and his parents help him with the rest of tuition so he hasn't taken out any loans. His parents help him out with $40 to live off of each week. The guy was always a tad odd in college but i can kind of see how he might think this is a good idea

KD35

Postby KD35 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:54 am

Where does he poop if he feels the urge in the middle of the night?

helfer snooterbagon

Postby helfer snooterbagon » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:55 am

I went to UB for undergrad - this was a number of years back but I remember renting a perfectly fine 2 - bedroom with heat included and the roomate and I were only paying $250 a month each - he could also rent a room from someone for about that much, maybe less. I am all about minimizing expenses, but Buffalo is super cheap.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”