Passing The California Bar Exam: An Unconventional Approach

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
dezlawyer

Passing The California Bar Exam: An Unconventional Approach

Postby dezlawyer » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:56 pm

The wait for bar results is the worse... I passed the California Bar on my 1st attempt, and pretty much put receiving results out of my mind until May 1st ( I took the February bar) ... I also passed without a bar review course saving me a few thousand dollars... IMHO the best way to pass any of the states' bar exams' is to practice, practice and then practice some more...get your rule statements DOWN COLD, and then practice some more... I also handwrote the exam (yes it's true) because I was freaked out something "techy" could go wrong.... The Calbar is a wild ride but in a strange way a really fun one too! I actually wrote a memoir available as an ebook on Amazon about how I prepped and passed the exam the - title is "How to Post Spam on TLS, and So Can You!" ... it really comes down to putting in the time and hard work, and practice, practice, and practice

Myself

Postby Myself » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:41 am

Last edited by Myself on Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

dezlawyer

Re: Passing The California Bar Exam: An Unconventional Approach

Postby dezlawyer » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:06 am

Well, the unconventional part is grouping like subjects together, for example, I always studied crimlaw, crimpro and evidence together and as a group because of the possibility of those subjects being tested in a crossover question... I did this with all 13 subjects ie grouped them together so it created the effect that I was really only studying 4 subjects ( I had 4 groups of subjects) ...I'd spend 3-4 days on each group of subjects, writing practice essays, and working MBE questions (if it was a MBE subject) before moving onto the next group of subjects.
I don't know which states bar you're taking (or have taken). If you haven't taken a bar exam yet give is a shot.

dezlawyer

Postby dezlawyer » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:20 pm

Pretty entertaining (the spam comment) ... what's important is making the pass list, and it can definitely be done
without a $3,000.00+ bar review course which likely spends too much time reviewing the material and not enough time
with fact patterns and issue spotting

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:28 pm

dezlawyer wrote:Well, the unconventional part is grouping like subjects together, for example, I always studied crimlaw, crimpro and evidence together and as a group because of the possibility of those subjects being tested in a crossover question...

No it's not. I did the same. Good advice, though.

dezlawyer

Postby dezlawyer » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:28 pm

Well I disagree, I do think it's an unconventional approach. Bar review programs don't integrate the subjects but rather review each one in isolation to the other unless you get a crossover question which usually is PR crossed over with another subject, but that's not the way the material is taught and/or reviewed. So, I do opine that's it's an unconventional way to look at the material... having said that, who cares if you think it isn't (an unconventional approach) and I think it is... all that matters is finding a way to organize and study the material so as make the pass list.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”