dealing with mid-semester burnout

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
gaucholaw

dealing with mid-semester burnout

Postby gaucholaw » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:42 pm

Hello, as the post suggests I've been feelin' a bit burnt out. I feel that this is somewhat separate from general stress (hence why I'm not putting this in Sealocust's spa thread) but nonetheless, I think the daily grind has been catching up. Anyways, I'm just curious as to what some of you upperclassmates/grads have found to be helpful in terms of regaining momentum and initiative for the second half of the semester. Thanks!

stillwater

Re: dealing with mid-semester burnout

Postby stillwater » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:45 pm

chill for a day or two and do nothing. just relax. its far more important to be somewhat fresh later than now. now is pretty unimportant if you've been doing the reading.

goldeneye

Postby goldeneye » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:47 pm

Do nothing for a day or two. Play video games, read a book for fun, go golf.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:48 pm

Relax. The time to stress is in November, not now. Drink/watch movies/play video games/whatever else you enjoy this weekend and be light on the books.

blong4133

Postby blong4133 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:55 pm

stillwater wrote:chill for a day or two and do nothing. just relax. its far more important to be somewhat fresh later than now. now is pretty unimportant if you've been doing the reading.

This is what I did and it worked for me.

First semester of 1L year, I was crazy. I did nothing but study. I took my first round of finals and realized it wasn't that bad.

The next semester, I eased up a little. It got to the point where I would work from about 7:30 - 5 or 5:30 every day during the week. I was able to get a reading or two ahead in every class, and then just review what I highlighted before each class to refresh my memory on the cases. This also helped because if there was a day that I just didn't feel like doing any school work, I could take the day off and not have to feel guilty about not reading, or being a nervous wreck about getting called on the next day to discuss a case I hadn't read.

I always took Saturday's off. I'd do nothing but watch football/basketball/hockey/hit the golf course with a few buddies, drink a few beers and grill.

It gets to a point where you really need to be able to let yourself relax and just enjoy life for a day or two each week. Even the evenings should be your time to do something you enjoy. Like I said, I stopped working after 5 most days. That was my time to go to the gym and just relax. Saturdays, I did absolutely nothing school-related...ever.

Also, getting to bed at a half decent hour and waking up at the same time every day worked wonders.

Just get into a system. Of course, this system can get kicked to the curb for things like a due date for a paper or something (I was on moot court 2L and 3L year, and I basically didn't sleep for the week before the paper was due going through and making revisions...did the same thing for legal writing/exams etc.)

Just relax. Law school isn't nearly as bad as you usually tell yourself it is. Get into your system, always take at least 1 day where you do something you enjoy or something to relax, and just take it one day at a time.

Good luck!

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:58 pm

If you're burnt out in early October, you're doing it wrong.

Do the readings, go to class, don't stress. Around now or within a few weeks, you should start reading through supplements and tying stuff together. Don't be a martyr, don't be anal. Work smart

Law school is not that hard. If you're stressed out now, you'll be completely fried come finals.

gaucholaw

Postby gaucholaw » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:58 pm

Thanks for the responses guys! This perspective makes me feel way better, although I had definitely considered taking a couple days off, getting the "nod of approval" will make me not guilt-trip myself about it :lol: Good luck to you all for the rest of the semester!

nomdeplumeify

Postby nomdeplumeify » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:49 pm

I'm a 1L and had a major freak out/burnout about two weeks ago. I took this past entire weekend off and just relaxed. Just take 2-3 days off and you will feel refreshed and ready to work on stuff again. And for me, it kind of put all the work I had to do in perspective. I took 3 days off and the world didn't end and I was still prepared for school.

To keep the momentum going you have to take a day off each week [I didn't and started freaking out] and get a full night's sleep. All around me I see my classmates talk about how much work they have to do, how they're going to sleep less to get it all done, and not take any days off. I can just see the burnout they're going to have near finals, when they really need to be ready to bunker down and get shit done.

We are human beings, not robots, and need some rest and relaxation in order to recharge and keep going.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:05 am

If you're a 1L, stop doing work and don't do it again until around Thanksgiving.

If you're a 2L or 3L, stop doing work and don't do it again period.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:08 am

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:22 am

kalvano wrote:Image

TCR.

Just pretend everyone in the game is your classmates you are competing with for a job or are the annoying gunners you encounter every day.

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:32 am

Also pot. I've heard video games and pot together are really fun.

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:49 am

Last edited by Jsa725 on Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:25 pm

Danger Zone wrote:If you're a 1L, stop doing work and don't do it again until around Thanksgiving.

Agreed. Do the readings and go to class. That's all it takes right now. And don't listen to your classmates who talk about how hard they're working, they're full of shit and odds are it won't materially benefit them.

Stay on the ball, take it seriously, but make friends, go to happy hours, and live like a normal human being. You'll need that energy and sharpness in a month when finals season starts.

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:45 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:If you're a 1L, stop doing work and don't do it again until around Thanksgiving.

Agreed. Do the readings and go to class. That's all it takes right now. And don't listen to your classmates who talk about how hard they're working, they're full of shit and odds are it won't materially benefit them.

Stay on the ball, take it seriously, but make friends, go to happy hours, and live like a normal human being. You'll need that energy and sharpness in a month when finals season starts.

+1. Until after thanksgiving, all I did was the readings, class, and my writing assignments in RWA. People busting ass now lack the big picture and are spinning their wheels whether they realize it or not.

eerie_erie

Postby eerie_erie » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:36 pm

Talk to a few (non-)law school friends. Or write them letters!

Gotallanswers

Postby Gotallanswers » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:00 pm

Lol mid semester burnout. More like can't handle it. No pain no game. I'm going so strong. Not even close to burning out. No breaks

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:20 pm

Gotallanswers wrote:Lol mid semester burnout. More like can't handle it. No pain no game. I'm going so strong. Not even close to burning out. No breaks

lol

Gotallanswers

Postby Gotallanswers » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:02 pm

Just studied for 14 hours. And no burnout in sight

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:26 pm

Gotallanswers wrote:Just studied for 14 hours. And no burnout in sight

assuming you did study for 14 straight hours, I just feel bad for you. totally unnecessary and judging from your posts, you are in the express lane to being median pwned. so, if getting lower returns per hour is your goal, well- executed.

Gotallanswers

Postby Gotallanswers » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:57 am

stillwater wrote:

assuming you did study for 14 straight hours, I just feel bad for you. totally unnecessary and judging from your posts, you are in the express lane to being median pwned. so, if getting lower returns per hour is your goal, well- executed.

Actually I am doing very well I will be doing practice problems for my classes tomorrow for the professors to grade and give me feed back on. And I am trying to get ahead with I am succeeding at greatly so I can drill the EE and start doing practice problems and have lots of time for the memo. I do not even bring my phone with me when I study its all productivity. Median pwned will not happen to this guy

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:52 pm

Gotallanswers wrote:
stillwater wrote:

Actually I am doing very well I will be doing practice problems for my classes tomorrow for the professors to grade and give me feed back on. And I am trying to get ahead with I am succeeding at greatly so I can drill the EE and start doing practice problems and have lots of time for the memo. I do not even bring my phone with me when I study its all productivity. Median pwned will not happen to this guy

90% of your classmates say the same thing about themselves.

Connor Benz

Postby Connor Benz » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:08 pm

TTRansfer wrote:
Gotallanswers wrote:
stillwater wrote:

So you are one of those types? Law school is a mindfuck and its about being able to sift through the bullshit, the bullshitters, and the pretentious.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:28 pm

TTRansfer wrote:
Gotallanswers wrote:Actually I am doing very well I will be doing practice problems for my classes tomorrow for the professors to grade and give me feed back on. And I am trying to get ahead with I am succeeding at greatly so I can drill the EE and start doing practice problems and have lots of time for the memo. I do not even bring my phone with me when I study its all productivity. Median pwned will not happen to this guy

Yep. A lot of people think they're right on course and then they get their comeuppance when grades come in.

Also, I think how hard someone works from August-October/January-March is less predictive of how well someone does than LSAT score. It makes very little difference.

shifty_eyed

Postby shifty_eyed » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:54 pm

Marathon, not a sprint.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”