Automobile Lease Problem

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
igo2northwestern

Automobile Lease Problem

Postby igo2northwestern » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:15 am

I'd like to assign an automobile lease, and I have a person willing to take it over. But the lessor (a dealership) doesn't have title. It's been ~2 months, and the dealer has "been in the process of getting title", as it seems to just be misplaced and the dealer needs to file a form of some sort to get title.

Do I have a case? I have the right to assign in the contract. Yes, I will likely consult a lawyer, but I thought I'd try the wisdom of TLS for any personal experiences.

(Thanks in advance)

Bildungsroman

Re: Automobile Lease Problem

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:48 am

Don't come to TLS for legal advice.

guano

Postby guano » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:04 am

Here's some legal advice: go ask a lawyer

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:13 am

igo2northwestern wrote:I'd like to assign an automobile lease, and I have a person willing to take it over. But the lessor (a dealership) doesn't have title. It's been ~2 months, and the dealer has "been in the process of getting title", as it seems to just be misplaced and the dealer needs to file a form of some sort to get title.

Do I have a case? I have the right to assign in the contract. Yes, I will likely consult a lawyer, but I thought I'd try the wisdom of TLS for any personal experiences.

(Thanks in advance)

No.

helfer snooterbagon

Postby helfer snooterbagon » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:13 am

What State are you in? For most states, the title is not super important for a lease because the lessee does not get Title (because you don't own the car). Bottom line, you would be wasting your time and money getting a lawyer. It sounds like you want to sue for breach of contract. Does the contract even state that the dealer is required to get the title?

guano

Postby guano » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:27 am

helfer snooterbagon wrote:What State are you in? For most states, the title is not super important for a lease because the lessee does not get Title (because you don't own the car). Bottom line, you would be wasting your time and money getting a lawyer. It sounds like you want to sue for breach of contract. Does the contract even state that the dealer is required to get the title?

No legal advice in the forums

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:55 am

As much as I hate to say this, what guano said.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”