Spring Externship

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

Where should I extern?

U.S. Attorney Office
100%
Federal Public Defender
No votes
District Attorney Office
No votes
Attorney General Office
No votes
Federal Judge Chambers
No votes

Total votes: 1

Mr.Esquire

Spring Externship

Postby Mr.Esquire » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:14 pm

So currently I am a Judicial Extern with is giving me an immense amount of in courtroom experience as well as exposing to what GREAT legal writing is and NOT SO GREAT. But one thing I miss about the Public Defender Office is not only the unlimited amount of work available to me to help on, but for advocating on one side or the other.

So I have started looking at where I want to intern for the Spring. Right now my list is at U.S. Attorney Office, Federal Public Defender(INTERVIEW SCHEDULED), District Attorney(INTERVIEW SCHEDULED), Attorney General Office, or even though it would be another Judicial Externship, if I got an offer at the Federal Level I would do that.

LINK REMOVED

gdane

Re: Spring Externship

Postby gdane » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:34 pm

You won't do a lot at a federal externship. You'll do some research, but mostly a lot of observation. If you're looking for experience go with a state level externship.

Mr.Esquire

Postby Mr.Esquire » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:47 pm

Ok thanks what I was thinking. What are your feelings about the FPD or US Attorney?

gdane

Postby gdane » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:00 pm

I was at a usao this past summer and I loved it. The cases were interesting and the ausas were all great. I did a lot of observation and research. Wrote a few responses to motions, but nothing huge. I got the feeling that the ausas didn't trust the interns with major work.

I'm at a district attorneys office now and it's a huge difference. I'm pretty much doing everything that an Ada does. The experience I'm getting is great.

Figure out what you want to get out of this externship and go from there.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:51 pm

I interned at the USAO for a spring semester and loved it. It was probably the most fun I had in law school.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:00 pm

It depends on what you want in an externship. Do you just want something on your resume that you can talk about? Then anything will suffice. Do you want something that may have a small chance of getting you an in with a judge that could lead to a clerkship? Then do a judicial externship even though the odds of that happening are low. Do you want to something that will help lead to a full time job after graduation? State DA/PD are going to be your best bet. Do you eventually want to be a PD? Definitely don't do USAO/DA. Etc, etc.

sublime

Postby sublime » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:02 pm

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:28 pm

According to the link-that-was-removed, that's correct.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”