Does a Withdrawal look bad?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
ThreeRivers

Does a Withdrawal look bad?

Postby ThreeRivers » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:39 am

In law school.... Messed up a class / didn't turn in a big paper, professor seems to not be cooperating

Void

Re: Does a Withdrawal look bad?

Postby Void » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:48 am

ThreeRivers wrote:In law school.... Messed up a class / didn't turn in a big paper, professor seems to not be cooperating

Does it look bad to whom? If you mean employers, it probably depends upon the employer. If you mean the bar examiners, nah.

ThreeRivers

Postby ThreeRivers » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:50 am

Void wrote:
ThreeRivers wrote:In law school.... Messed up a class / didn't turn in a big paper, professor seems to not be cooperating

Does it look bad to whom? If you mean employers, it probably depends upon the employer. If you mean the bar examiners, nah.

1 "w" would look bad for an employer? I figured 1 "w" wouldn't even warrant a question...

Void

Postby Void » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:55 am

ThreeRivers wrote:
Void wrote:

1 "w" would look bad for an employer? I figured 1 "w" wouldn't even warrant a question...

Um, yes. I had interviews where I was asked "what happened here?" for a B+. A withdrawal can definitely stand out to employers as a flag on your transcript.

brotherdarkness

Postby brotherdarkness » Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:01 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Myself

Postby Myself » Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:34 pm

Last edited by Myself on Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

odoylerulez

Postby odoylerulez » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:51 pm

It looks bad, but not nearly as bad as a failing grade.

Avoid withdrawal if you can. It won't completely ruin your job prospects, but it will sting. On the other hand, one failing grade in law school can (and probably will) ruin you, at least for your prospects right out of school.

Gorki

Postby Gorki » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:42 pm

ThreeRivers wrote:
Void wrote:

Its pretty bad. Considering most of the class will get a B (or B+), the fact you took a "W" means either: (a) compelling personal purpose, which you can corroborate with the school to support, or (b) major fuck up that woulda doomed you.

That said. Is a "W" better than an "F"--well shit, yes. If the prof is not cooperating you may be best taking the dubs.

RedGiant

Postby RedGiant » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:58 pm

Void wrote:

Talk to your dean or a third party who might be able to help work something out. Barring that, take the grade and have a really good story (lie) about your grandma dying, best friend getting cancer, contracting mono or something else so that you can explain it away. Wipe hands.

Dogg

Postby Dogg » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:47 am

brotherdarkness wrote:I was third in my class after my 1L year and had multiple employers ask why I wasn't number one.

oh ..... ?

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:03 am

Dogg wrote:
brotherdarkness wrote:I was third in my class after my 1L year and had multiple employers ask why I wasn't number one.

oh ..... ?

This really happens in biglaw interviews. And, if you get this question, don't assume they just made a joke, because sometimes they're dead serious. Awkward.

WHJTMG178

Postby WHJTMG178 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:41 am

What If OP already has a 2L SA?

Postby 09042014 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:02 am

People in this thread seem to be wildly speculating. I'd imagine W is better than a C or worse. Way better than a F. And with the right bullshitting it's probably even better than a B/B- depending on your schools scale.

Just say you didn't want to take the class anymore and missed the drop date. That's not even lying.

And I doubt you'll get too many questions about it anyway. Someone might ask but you just have to have a confident, intelligent answer.

When firms ask stupid questions like why aren't you first instead of third, that doesn't mean that being third killed your chances already. They are just seeing what your answer is.

WHJTMG178

Postby WHJTMG178 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:07 am

But what is a good answer for why you are number three instead of number one? I got a similar question (class rank wasn't quite as good, still top 5%) and struggled to come up with a good answer.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:10 am

WHJTMG178 wrote:But what is a good answer for why you are number three instead of number one? I got a similar question (class rank wasn't quite as good, still top 5%) and struggled to come up with a good answer.

Who knows, it's such a stupid question, it's impossible to know what the person asking it wants to hear. I think a safe bet would be to describe a class where you didn't get an clean A/A+ and explain why you think you didn't get it.

An accurate answer would be "we don't all take the same tests, ranking us together is ridiculous and lacks statistical rigor. What was your GPA brah?"

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”