Anyone's prof. ever kick everyone out of class?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
bdm261

Anyone's prof. ever kick everyone out of class?

Postby bdm261 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:53 pm

Just happened the other day and I'm stunned. Torts prof. was pissed off at our "lack of preparation" even though everyone read the cases to the best of their ability, prepared competent briefs, and had a general idea of what was going on in the casebook. He was pissed the person he called on didn't look up the definition of "inference" or something in a res ipsa case, then the next person he called on mistakenly said the case was tried by a judge when it said a jury decided it, and some other students gave incorrect responses to his further questioning so he packed up his belongings and said he was done for the day and to toss out the attendance sheet.

What should I make of this? Is this just dramatic bullshit and he was just looking for an excuse to end class early?

Also, our section had two midterms this week in other classes so most of our focus was already elsewhere and I think he should've recognized this.

wildhaggis

Re: Anyone's prof. ever kick everyone out of class?

Postby wildhaggis » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:58 pm

bdm261 wrote:Is this just dramatic bullshit and he was just looking for an excuse to end class early?

Yep.

sopranorleone

Postby sopranorleone » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:07 pm

He's suffering from PMS: Professorial Mid-semester Stress

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:18 pm

Profs don't give a fuck, bro. They can walk out whenever they want, cancel class, make up grades, and no one can tell them they can't. Sucks but that's life in LAWL school.

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:53 pm

Figure out how much you paid for that lecture and ask for a refund.

swimmer11

Postby swimmer11 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:58 pm

Happened to me, and I was stoked.

Hipster but Athletic

Postby Hipster but Athletic » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:58 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:Figure out how much you paid for that lecture and ask for a refund.

Wat? You pay for a degree

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:11 pm

Hipster but Athletic wrote:
JusticeHarlan wrote:Figure out how much you paid for that lecture and ask for a refund.

You can't be this dumb.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:19 pm

yea, you pay cash for a piece of paper. a law degree is a consumer good, not something thats earned through herculean tasks.

Hipster but Athletic

Postby Hipster but Athletic » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:24 pm

Danger Zone wrote:

You can't be this dumb.

Breaking down the degree into a per class basis is retarded

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:32 pm

Where do you think your money goes? The prof has a salary, the school bought that classroom and pays costs to keep it going, all the other costs of operating a school. You pay for all of that and are entitled to all of that.

MarkinKansasCity

Postby MarkinKansasCity » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:14 pm

Danger Zone wrote:

You can't be this dumb.

Breaking down the degree into a per class basis is retarded

$1500 a credit hour divided by 16 hours in class per credit hour comes to just under $100 an hour. I did that math a long time ago. It keeps me motivated. Oh, you spaced out for 15 minutes? That was $25 in tuition you just pissed away.

mephistopheles

Postby mephistopheles » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:39 pm

MarkinKansasCity wrote:$1500 a credit hour divided by 16 hours in class per credit hour comes to just under $100 an hour. I did that math a long time ago. It keeps me motivated. Oh, you spaced out for 15 minutes? That was $25 in tuition you just pissed away.

as if you're paying for anything but the piece of paper signifying you as a grad

Hipster but Athletic

Postby Hipster but Athletic » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:03 pm

Danger Zone wrote:Where do you think your money goes? The prof has a salary, the school bought that classroom and pays costs to keep it going, all the other costs of operating a school. You pay for all of that and are entitled to all of that.

Costs of protectionism. And learning doesn't occur in units

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:22 pm

Danger Zone wrote:Where do you think your money goes? The prof has a salary, the school bought that classroom and pays costs to keep it going, all the other costs of operating a school. You pay for all of that and are entitled to all of that.

Costs of protectionism. And learning doesn't occur in units

you make no sense.

haus

Postby haus » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:35 pm

Sounds like standard BS out of boot camp. Everyone is a moron, kick everyone out of class, although in boot camp this usually ends up with everyone in a sandpit in front of the classroom doing push ups.

soj

Postby soj » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:41 pm

Lazy histrionics by a subpar instructor

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:42 pm

soj wrote:Lazy histrionics by a subpar instructor

isnt law school pretty much 99% histrionics?

soj

Postby soj » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:44 pm

stillwater wrote:

Only the ones that care. The old white dudes who've had tenure since the 80s are barely alive to be histrionic.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:48 pm

soj wrote:
stillwater wrote:

Only the ones that care. The old white dudes who've had tenure since the 80s are barely alive to be histrionic.

i prefer the latter

soj

Postby soj » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:06 pm

Ya and the old ones don't have stupid gimmicks like midterms, participation grades, and group projects.

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:13 pm

Yes. This old guy that has been teaching Con Law since the 60s. Would absolutely go nuts if a lot of people appeared unprepared. He regularly cursed out the entire class, threatened to choke out students who wouldn't shut up, etc.

I loved him.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:14 pm

bdm261 wrote:Just happened the other day and I'm stunned. Torts prof. was pissed off at our "lack of preparation" even though everyone read the cases to the best of their ability, prepared competent briefs, and had a general idea of what was going on in the casebook. He was pissed the person he called on didn't look up the definition of "inference" or something in a res ipsa case, then the next person he called on mistakenly said the case was tried by a judge when it said a jury decided it, and some other students gave incorrect responses to his further questioning so he packed up his belongings and said he was done for the day and to toss out the attendance sheet.

What should I make of this? Is this just dramatic bullshit and he was just looking for an excuse to end class early?

Also, our section had two midterms this week in other classes so most of our focus was already elsewhere and I think he should've recognized this.

Yeah, that is way over the top. I've never had a professor that has done this, nor even heard of a professor at my school doing anything like this. And it doesn't even sound like your classmates messed up on the holding or basic facts, etc., but rather some relatively minor facts.

Plus, the professor should know that being prepared for a cold call isn't what is important for students, especially for 1Ls.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:15 pm

deadpanic wrote:Yes. This old guy that has been teaching Con Law since the 60s. Would absolutely go nuts if a lot of people appeared unprepared. He regularly cursed out the entire class, threatened to choke out students who wouldn't shut up, etc.

I loved him.

Ah, tenure. I'm guessing that he was joking though.

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:18 pm

ph14 wrote:
deadpanic wrote:Yes. This old guy that has been teaching Con Law since the 60s. Would absolutely go nuts if a lot of people appeared unprepared. He regularly cursed out the entire class, threatened to choke out students who wouldn't shut up, etc.

I loved him.

Ah, tenure. I'm guessing that he was joking though.

Oh yeah, I'm sure he would never do it. He rarely left his seat. He did legitimately get pissed off. Often. Old bastard was hilarious though.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”