1L: My outline in torts is already 40 pages... Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Bikeflip

Gold

Re: 1L: My outline in torts is already 40 pages...

Post by Bikeflip » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:05 pm

Like others have said, you do not have an outline. You have notes. Don't worry, you'll use your notes to make your outline. If you're stressing out over outlines, go look at how other people structured thiers. In addition to upperclassmen at your lawl skool, Docstoc is good for this type of research. Here's a short torts outline. See which formats and styles you like, and copy those formats and styles as you begin to pare down your 40 pages of notes into a proper outline.

You can also use outlinedepot, but you're going to pay. Might as well try the free stuff first.

LexLeon

Bronze

Post by LexLeon » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:41 pm

atcushman wrote:Here is an example of how i used cases

Vosburg v. Putney
Kick to the shin case
a. Then intention do harm is of the essence of an assault
b. P* must show the intention was unlawful or that the D* was in fault
c. If intended act is unlawful, the intent is unlawful (if the kick was unlawful, the intention was unlawful)
d. The wrongdoer is liable for all injuries resulting directly from the wrongful act whether they could or could not have been foreseen. (eggshell skull plaintiff principle)
Garratt v. Dailey
Kid pulls out the chair
a. When a minor has committed a tort with force he is liable
b. The defendant does not have to intend harm but if it is shown that the D* knew with substantial certainty that the harm would occur he is liable
c. The absence of intent to injure does not absolve D* from liability
d. The only time age is considered is when determining what D* could have known
I wonder about the bolded proposition.

To find a battery:

Does D need to be substantially certain "that the harm would occur" in order to have intended a harmful contact?

Or need D intend the harmful contact in the sense that he is substantially certain that the contact will be made, though he may not be substantially certain that it will be harmful?

I believe the answer is counter-intuitive.

atcushman

Bronze

Post by atcushman » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:35 pm

LexLeon wrote:
atcushman wrote:Here is an example of how i used cases

Vosburg v. Putney
Kick to the shin case
a. Then intention do harm is of the essence of an assault
b. P* must show the intention was unlawful or that the D* was in fault
c. If intended act is unlawful, the intent is unlawful (if the kick was unlawful, the intention was unlawful)
d. The wrongdoer is liable for all injuries resulting directly from the wrongful act whether they could or could not have been foreseen. (eggshell skull plaintiff principle)
Garratt v. Dailey
Kid pulls out the chair
a. When a minor has committed a tort with force he is liable
b. The defendant does not have to intend harm but if it is shown that the D* knew with substantial certainty that the harm would occur he is liable
c. The absence of intent to injure does not absolve D* from liability
d. The only time age is considered is when determining what D* could have known
I wonder about the bolded proposition.

To find a battery:

Does D need to be substantially certain "that the harm would occur" in order to have intended a harmful contact?

Or need D intend the harmful contact in the sense that he is substantially certain that the contact will be made, though he may not be substantially certain that it will be harmful?

I believe the answer is counter-intuitive.
replace the 2nd harm with contact-sorry i did not proof the content. It was just meant as an example of structure for an outline.

moonman157

Silver

Post by moonman157 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:40 pm

Tag

Mr.Throwback

Bronze

Post by Mr.Throwback » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:48 am

Need not intend any harm. Intent = Purpose or KWSC that contact will result.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:51 am

Also once you make your final outline (which should be no more than 30 pages), make a compressed outlines with just the really important concepts. I made a smaller outline that was no longer than 6 pages, and it worked well.

TTRansfer

Gold

Post by TTRansfer » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:26 pm

You don't have an outline right now. You have notes. You will condense those notes into an outline later in the semester.

TTRansfer

Gold

Post by TTRansfer » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:28 pm

gdane wrote:25 pages max.
10-15 pages max (and 15 is pushing it).

Condense that shit into rule blocks. I think my Ks outline was 8 pages as a 1L. Condensed from 70 pages or so of notes.

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:19 pm

TTRansfer wrote:

Condense that shit into rule blocks. I think my Ks outline was 8 pages as a 1L. Condensed from 70 pages or so of notes.
The length also depends on how much you go over. My torts class was not just intentional torts and negligence; we also went over products liability. So 25 was a good number in my case :wink:

Also, my torts exam was closed book so I kept my outline as short as necessary to make my life easier when it came time to memorize stuff.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TTRansfer

Gold

Post by TTRansfer » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:11 am

gdane wrote:
TTRansfer wrote:

The length also depends on how much you go over. My torts class was not just intentional torts and negligence; we also went over products liability. So 25 was a good number in my case :wink:

Also, my torts exam was closed book so I kept my outline as short as necessary to make my life easier when it came time to memorize stuff.
Eh, I went over a metric TON of cases in my K's class. I usually rule block'd them into a sentence for each case.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”