Glannons E&E not helpful for my class?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Easy-E

Glannons E&E not helpful for my class?

Postby Easy-E » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:25 pm

I just starting reading the Glannon Torts E&E on vicarious liability. The general overview is fine, nothing I don't really get already, but main takeaway in class for vicarious liability seemed to be the Birkner criteria for determining whether an employee was in fact acting within the scope of employment. The supplement makes no mention of it, and the examples seem to ignore it's application outright. In general, we discuss the Restatement's of Torts and Agency extremely little in class, am I going to waste my time mentioning these on exams? I'm wondering if this supplement may not be very useful for my class? Or if I should just ignore this section? Or become a chef?

brotherdarkness

Re: Glannons E&E not helpful for my class?

Postby brotherdarkness » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:30 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:34 pm

brotherdarkness wrote:
emarxnj wrote:I just starting reading the Glannon Torts E&E on vicarious liability. The general overview is fine, nothing I don't really get already, but main takeaway in class for vicarious liability seemed to be the "Birkner Criteria". The supplement makes no mention of it, and the examples seem to ignore it's application outright. In general, we discuss the Restatement's of Torts and Agency extremely little in class. I'm wondering if this supplement may not be very useful for my class? Or if I should just ignore this section?

For purposes of your exam, your professor's words are gospel. Whatever he or she says, emphasizes, or seems to find important, is what you should say, emphasize, and find important. Anytime there's a contradiction between your professor and a supplement, disregard the supplement.

Yeah that's what I'm going with. We really never touch on "black letter law" per se, just sort of overlying principles (policy? theory? I don't know).

941law

Postby 941law » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:32 am

fwiw, sometimes if you read closely enough you'll see that a supp and your prof are saying the exact same thing regardless of specific language, elements, etc being different - from a general perspective.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:53 pm

Every professor teaches a different class - "popular" supplements tend to just state things in a clear way that usually, but hardly always or perfectly, lines up with the material and presentation of a particular prof/subject.

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:57 pm

941law wrote:fwiw, sometimes if you read closely enough you'll see that a supp and your prof are saying the exact same thing regardless of specific language, elements, etc being different - from a general perspective.

[quote="thesealocust"]Every professor teaches a different class - "popular" supplements tend to just state things in a clear way that usually, but hardly always or perfectly, lines up with the material and presentation of a particular prof/subject.[/quote

Thank guys. I'll stick with it, as I did find parts of it very helpful.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”