My Secondary Journal hasn't published in 3 years...

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
PitifulDolfan

My Secondary Journal hasn't published in 3 years...

Postby PitifulDolfan » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:38 pm

I'm a staff member for a secondary journal at my school and I just found out we haven't published in 3 years. I started worrying about this journal awhile ago because everything seems to be really unorganized and unprofessional.

Does anyone know if there is some type of journal accreditation that legal journals need to meet? Is there some type of publishing requirement? Am I doing a shit ton of footnotes and busy work for a journal that isn't any more significant than a journal I could create and start myself?

A. Nony Mouse

Re: My Secondary Journal hasn't published in 3 years...

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:47 pm

I think the only thing that's required is that a school sponsor the journal. If the school wants to continue to pay for the journal to exist, it's a journal.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:50 pm

Maybe find out from the editors whether they plan on publishing anything this year. And maybe talk to the faculty adviser and ask wtf has been going on. Who knows, maybe this class of 3Ls is trying to turn it around and make it respectable again. Otherwise it does seem like a colossal waste of time. Aren't most other journals publishing several editions a year?

soj

Postby soj » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:02 pm

does it mean you won't have to edit anything? sounds like the ideal journal.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:02 pm

No journal is significant.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:05 pm

It's not like anybody reads journals that actually publish anyway. Totally moot.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:17 pm

So you can put journal on your résumé without having to do any real work? What's the problem?
Last edited by kalvano on Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:22 pm

kalvano wrote:So you can out journal on your résumé without having to do any real work? What's the problem?

Dear God, +1 to this!

Listen, its really simple: LR>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>(wait for it)>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>any secondary, doesn't matter>>>>>nothing.

Gorki

Postby Gorki » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:31 pm

If your journal gets a budget, just imagine the pizza parties and cocktails hours you can have that the "flagship" journal wasted publishing...

However, the OP mentions the fact that you are doing authority and citation checks... Does the journal publish the articles to a blog? Otherwise, why the heck are you guys doing any checks at all?

If it is a blog, then IMHO its more of a forward thinking journal than most. No one gives a damn about 95% of the print journals, on the other hand some student or UG student may stumble upon the blog page hosting your articles and in the grand scheme of things the journal may be more useful than "TTT Journal of Law and XYZ" sitting, collecting dust, in a library basement.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”