CA c & f issue

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
ajorda87

CA c & f issue

Postby ajorda87 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:48 pm

Long story short... I fully and truthfully disclosed everything the bar asked for on the c & f application. In gathering info for my previous employment, however, I discovered 2 errors on my law school app. 1) I flubbed the dates for one of the jobs, and 2) I omitted 2 jobs that were within the time frame requested. Both were honest mistakes, made due to lack of attentiveness I'm sure. I had no real motivation to lie about either.

If I don't amend my law school app, 1) will the CA bar inquire about it? and 2) will it be sufficient for me to explain that they were honest mistakes?

Serious answers please. I would appreciate any informed advice.

kalvano

Re: CA c & f issue

Postby kalvano » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:02 pm

Just call and say "oops, my bad" and ask to amend. I doubt it would matter either way, but no reason not to amend. They won't care at all, it's not like you forgot to include a few felony convictions.

ajorda87

Postby ajorda87 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:23 pm

Ok. The reason I'm hesitant to amend is b/c I have a slightly rocky relationship with the dean. So I don't want to stir up problems for myself unless I 'm creating bigger problems (w/the bar) by not doing so.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:54 pm

How would your dean even ever know? You should be able to talk to the bar people and amend directly with them, without involving your dean in any way.

ajorda87

Postby ajorda87 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:58 pm

No, no. I don't need to amend my c & f application. Everything I provided to the bar was accurate. I'm unsure of whether I need to amend my law school application, since obviously the two apps won't match up when the bar compares them.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:21 pm

Oh, sorry, I get it now. (RC fail on my part.) Maybe try calling up the state bar association to ask what they would want? They might be fine with a statement that you omitted the jobs from your LS app inadvertently, but they're the best one to tell you that. And if they say you have to amend, maybe there's a kind administrative person between you and the dean whom you could approach first (perhaps someone in admissions)?

ajorda87

Postby ajorda87 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:35 pm

Ok. You're probably right. I assumed they'd tell me to amend regardless of whether it was actually necessary. But I suppose it won't hurt to call and see what they have to say. Perhaps I'm over thinking it as well, but I became spooked when I got word that the bar contacted my references and asked them each for 2 more references. The CA bar doesn't mess around, apparently.

forty-two

Postby forty-two » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:19 pm

Definitely call and ask. I was in a similar situation last year (not CA though). I forgot to include a traffic ticket on my law school apps, and I panicked about it when I applied for the bar and realized my mistake. They said it was fine and I didn't end up having to update my application. As long as you let them know what's going on, they should work with you and you'll be fine.

ajorda87

Postby ajorda87 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:31 pm

Thank you for your response. When you called them, did you request that they make note of it in your file? Or DID they make note of it?

forty-two

Postby forty-two » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:46 pm

ajorda87 wrote:Thank you for your response. When you called them, did you request that they make note of it in your file? Or DID they make note of it?

I didn't ask them to make a note of it, but I'm assuming they did so no one would question the discrepancy later. The impression I got was that they were fine with it because it was obvious I wasn't trying to hide anything.

ajorda87

Postby ajorda87 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:52 pm

I'm going to do the exact same thing on Monday. Thanks!

forty-two

Postby forty-two » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:53 am

No problem! They might still want you to update your app or verbally disclose to your dean. Like I said, I'm not in CA. But as long as you're the one who brings it to their attention, it shouldn't be much of an issue.

Good luck!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”