JD/MS Computer Science - UPenn - Worth It?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
bobbyflayed

JD/MS Computer Science - UPenn - Worth It?

Postby bobbyflayed » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:28 pm

I'm a 1L at UPenn and the school just announced a new JD/MS Computer Science Joint Degree (4 years).

I'm a traditional PoliSci/History feeder but I have learned some languages on my own. I was wondering what you guys thought about this....is the extra year worth it to be able to take the patent bar/become an IP Attorney?

On another note, I was also thinking it would be a great fallback plan just incase anything happens with my legal career. There's no prior background in Engineering Needed.

I'd appreciate any feedback from the Braintrust here at TLS.

thewaves

Re: JD/MS Computer Science - UPenn - Worth It?

Postby thewaves » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:35 pm

link to the program? I don't see it publicized.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:43 pm

Unless you have a burning desire to do Patent Litigation, I wouldn't bother.

For patent prosecution:

1) I don't think this will make you eligble for the patent bar anyway. You'd have to qualify under Category B or C.

2) I'm not sure anyone would hire you. But I'm not sure.

If you just wanna have a back up, I bet you could get into this program during 2L after you struck out at OCI, and then redo OCI the next year.

bobbyflayed

Postby bobbyflayed » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:11 pm

https://www.law.upenn.edu/academics/cro ... sework.php

Doesn't look like it takes away from law school - You spend one full year in the engineering department.

Myself

Postby Myself » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:26 am

Last edited by Myself on Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

buddyt

Postby buddyt » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:55 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Unless you have a burning desire to do Patent Litigation, I wouldn't bother.

For patent prosecution:

1) I don't think this will make you eligble for the patent bar anyway. You'd have to qualify under Category B or C.

2) I'm not sure anyone would hire you. But I'm not sure.

If you just wanna have a back up, I bet you could get into this program during 2L after you struck out at OCI, and then redo OCI the next year.

I've also had a fleeting interest in a JD/MCS to get into patent prosecution; undergrad was in CIS and I worked at a "V10" tech consulting group after undergrad. Seems like category B, option 4 might get you there if coupled with 8 hours of chemistry or physics?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”