What does your school do well? What could it do better?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
RedGiant

What does your school do well? What could it do better?

Postby RedGiant » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:33 am

Hi--I have been spending some time thinking on some of the things my school gets right, and some things that I facepalm and think, "Why?!?!?"

I'm a lowly 1L, but...sometimes this stuff just jumps out at you

Here's my list--would love to hear if your school does something fantastic that could be implemented elsewhere, so...fire away with your thoughts.

Things My School Does that are Great
Our Library and staff are seriously amazing: amazing library webpage with tons of helpful stuff, available for live chat...top notch
Our LRW program is well-organized, the assignments are pretty funny and I actually like it
Eased-in schedule: 3 substantive classes in Fall + LRW, and more in Spring (5 substantive + LRW)
Profs are friendly/teaching is valued
All of our affinity clubs are really welcoming to people not of that "affinity" (e.g. I'm white and can be in BALSA! EPALSA! LALSA! etc.)

Things My School Does that are Could Use Improvement
We have 60 - 90 minute breaks between each class. It's excruciating
EVERY single club seems to meet on the same day at the same time--you'd think they could coordinate this a smidge better
9am Friday class and next semester, 830am classes 4 days per week. Ouch.
We get drink tickets that work out to one drink per hour at school-sponsored events. This is unacceptable for binge drinkers like me.
Our dean of students seems to forget to publicize things that matter--my favorite example of late was a seminar on time management which (i) we were notified about only hours before the start and (ii) which started about 10 mins late

OK--your turn, TLSers...

rinkrat19

Re: What does your school do well? What could it do better?

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:41 am

This seems like a spectacularly pointless thread without school names. (And fairly pointless even then, as it would be better to discuss your school's pros and cons in the school-specific thread with current students and applicants.)

RedGiant

Re: What does your school do well? What could it do better?

Postby RedGiant » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:45 am

rinkrat19 wrote:This seems like a spectacularly pointless thread without school names. (And fairly pointless even then, as it would be better to discuss your school's pros and cons in the school-specific thread with current students and applicants.)

Thanks, Rinkrat! You're always elevating the discourse here. I was actually asking not to evaluate schools (dat preftige!) but because my school is really open to suggestions, so if there's stuff we can crib, we could implement it. Cheers.

OK--your turn to start a really productive thread, since TLS is all about productivity. TAG!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”